FIRE and Divorce

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another thread brought to my attention that MMM is recently divorced. There is at least one long time forum member who also divorced after being FIREd for a number of years, and being pretty young. So this got me thinking about the subject...and no, I am not planning on divorcing my DW and I don't think she is planning on divorcing me, either. :D

With our move, she was able to convert her j*b to a full time w*rk from home position, so we are now around each other pretty much 24/7. I was initially a little worried about that, but so far it's been great. Our day is similar to what Nords eluded to in a previous thread; DW gets up a little earlier than me and heads down the hall to the office (terrible commute, eh?). I get up eventually and will watch CNBC for a few minutes and then hop in the shower. Anyway, I keep myself busy doing whatever, but we do usually "meet up" for a lunch date then she gets back to w*rk. When she knocks off for the day, we meet back up and do whatever. Usually throughout the day, we will go talk to the other one about whatever (I guess kinda how some people text back and forth throughout the day)...usually nothing significant. Maybe something newsworthy, or some crazy email we get. I do get to hear a bit about clowns she deals with, but the w*rk related conversation is pretty limited. At any rate, it's been a good arrangement so far and there doesn't appear to be any stress in the relationship because of it.

I guess the point of this thread is to just get a conversation going on the marital effects of those that have FIREd, especially those that have done so quite early...say 50 years old. What are your thoughts?

The live in girlfriend and I spend most of our time together now and it is great. She is my best friend.
With my ex, I couldn't wait to hit the golf course......

We retired at 53 and 58 and it’s been fine. We do some things together and some separate. We do have 2 TVs and each our own office so that helps.

Wanna see just how strong your marriage is? Sell the house and live in a motorhome for a few years, with 1 other vehicle. Worked great for us!

Wanna see just how strong your marriage is? Sell the house and live in a motorhome for a few years, with 1 other vehicle. Worked great for us!

Well, we moved from our house in Atlanta into a short term rental that is about 2/3rd the square footage...but still has been plenty of space. The new home we are purchasing is a little bigger than our ATL house, so there will be plenty of "spreading" out space. :D I think DW and I could handle RV living for a while, but our velcro dogs would drive me nuts!

Speaking of the DW...I am being summoned for our lunch date. :)

We bickered constantly after FIRE so I'd have to say retirement didn't have any effect on our marriage. :)

Another thread brought to my attention that MMM is recently divorced. There is at least one long time forum member who also divorced after being FIREd for a number of years, and being pretty young. So this got me thinking about the subject...and no, I am not planning on divorcing my DW and I don't think she is planning on divorcing me, either.

Are you referring to moi?;)

In my case, the divorce trigger was not FIRE-related (it might have happened even if we had been broke and working). But FIRE greatly facilitated the divorce. Being FI meant an easy split (all assets, no debt) and no big worry about my immediate financial future, etc... Being ER meant plenty of free time to plow through the divorce proceedings as quickly and painlessly as possible (45 days from filing to finalizing).:D

Last edited:
Not RE'ed yet but IMO long term relationships in general (not just marriages but friendships too) are difficult to maintain as people evolve as you go though life: interests evolve, goals change, perspectives change, etc.

Are you referring to moi?;)

In my case, the divorce trigger was not FIRE-related (it might have happened even if we had been broke and working). But FIRE greatly facilitated the divorce. Being FI meant an easy split (all assets, no debt) and no big worry about my immediate financial future, etc... Being ER meant plenty of free time to plow through the divorce proceedings as quickly and painlessly as possible (45 days from filing to finalizing).:D

Perhaps...but I wasn't going to throw you under the bus. :D The insight is certainly appreciated, though!

Married 34 years. Every so often the thought crossed my mind, what would it be like if we were divorced, usually if he really irritates me. How would I be on my own. I don't think I'd like it, unless I had an awesome boyfriend. But no guarantee that would last.

Then I think of the nightmare of dividing up assets. Yikes!

We awesome boyfriends are already in seriously short supply, and the older the lady gets the tighter the supply thanks to gender lifespan inequality. So if he is financially secure, sober, and bathes regularly be happy. :) Where’s my Kevlar jacket?

My divorce probably delayed by two years my retirement. Not as bad as it could have been. Thankfully, my STBXW was reasonable and we both left with our individual retirement assets intact. We decided early on that there was no satisfaction in giving our hard earned assets to the lawyers.

Last edited:
FIREd at 45, wife 48. It's been 12 years now. We have adapted just fine to spending lots of time around each other, but not necessarily together. We don't do breakfast or lunch together, and have separate interests and friends that take up time. We do talk many times a day, and spend dinner and evenings together. Sometimes we will do activities together during the day. Some separate travel. The biggest factor, though, was that we made sure that both our places are large enough so we don't feel like we are on top of each other (well, except when we want to be ;)).

In all seriousness, I have been FIREd for ~6 years. DW is joining me in January. I have had some concerns about this transition.

Fortunately, the employer of DW offered her a 'phased retirement' program for the past 6 months. She has only been going to the office about 2 times per week.

I think the 'phased retirement' is a great program for both the employer and the employee. It addresses business continuity issues (if managed properly) and also allows the employee and the family to have a smoother transition.

I could never understand the other employees who were on this program who choose to work full time for the first 3 months and then be off full time for the next 3 months. It seemed to compromise the benefits of the program from both the employer and the employees point of view.

-gauss

OK, here's a different angle. Married young, and went through a very messy divorce involving children not too many years later. Financially ruined for the next 15 years or so, but pulled myself out of it. I always had my eye on the long game. My ex, not so much.

Fast forward, RE'd at 56, have been happily married for over 20 years with no thoughts at all about divorce.

I was very fortunate that I had time to recover. I am also fortunate that I learned some very hard lessons very early. Things like, you can never really "own" anything. A court, a natural disaster, sudden illness, or many other things can take it all away at any time. Things like how to be frugal. A distaste for debt.

I really feel for anyone who goes through a divorce later in life, when starting over is SO much harder.

DW had a medical condition that precipitated her retirement. That made it hard on a couple fronts. By then, I was wondering part time. That helped the transition. Now we’re both retired and getting along pretty well. Of course life gets in the way. DW is struggling with being a partial care giver to her mom. Eventually I think it will be full time at our house. That kind of puts a wrench in the retirement plans, especially those involving travel.

Still, life is good and we know that so many people have it harder and deal with worse things, so felling blessed helps. As for the relationship, retirement will challenge it, but hopefully we’ve built a solid base over the 37 years we’ve been married and we’ll be fine. I think if you haven’t figured each other out by the time you get to retirement, retirement will challenge you but, as has been mentioned, I doubt that retirement would be the reason for the divorce.

I have a friend whose father is in his 70s and still working as a well paid professional. I asked my friend... "Why is your father still working at his age, surely he does not need the money?" He responded... "Have you met my mother?"

:)

Didn't we have a lady on here last year who was going through a divorce ?

If I recall correctly, her ex. blamed it in part on FIRE.

As to me, DW would consider kicking me to the curb for a lot of reasons but FIRE isn't one of them...:angel:

I think retirement has mellowed us . We are best friends and do a lot together but also do things apart . We just enjoy being together . If anything happened to him I would not look for anybody else I would just spend my last years alone with just my friends to keep me company.

Another thread brought to my attention that MMM is recently divorced. There is at least one long time forum member who also divorced after being FIREd for a number of years, and being pretty young. So this got me thinking about the subject...and no, I am not planning on divorcing my DW and I don't think she is planning on divorcing me, either. :D

With our move, she was able to convert her j*b to a full time w*rk from home position, so we are now around each other pretty much 24/7. I was initially a little worried about that, but so far it's been great. Our day is similar to what Nords eluded to in a previous thread; DW gets up a little earlier than me and heads down the hall to the office (terrible commute, eh?). I get up eventually and will watch CNBC for a few minutes and then hop in the shower. Anyway, I keep myself busy doing whatever, but we do usually "meet up" for a lunch date then she gets back to w*rk. When she knocks off for the day, we meet back up and do whatever. Usually throughout the day, we will go talk to the other one about whatever (I guess kinda how some people text back and forth throughout the day)...usually nothing significant. Maybe something newsworthy, or some crazy email we get. I do get to hear a bit about clowns she deals with, but the w*rk related conversation is pretty limited. At any rate, it's been a good arrangement so far and there doesn't appear to be any stress in the relationship because of it.

I guess the point of this thread is to just get a conversation going on the marital effects of those that have FIREd, especially those that have done so quite early...say 50 years old. What are your thoughts?

Not being FIREd yet, but certainly sharing that goal with DW, but adding a cpl young kids and parents into the mix and space becomes a 'thing' in my house (and we are sitting over 3,000 on an acre).

Since I WFH a lot (and have a lot of time off as DW does), and she offices from the home, I sometimes "feel" like I am practicing ER/RE without the FI (*although we have a crystal clear vision of how to execute) so it really does feel like the past five years or so as both our careers took off, but also brought us physically closer that this is a dressing rehearsal for the future.

We both get well over 2months off a year, and see eachother often. Sometimes I feel like pre-kids when we had these moments it was great, but now with kids when they aren't around (at daycare) and we are in each other's space it can get to be a character building experience.

Knowing this, I have three offices, DW loves to use the kitchen, but I have a formal office where at one time we both worked in until we realized that doesn't work...
so what did I do...

wait for it...
I put an office out in the garage as basically a standing desk with a hydraulic chair if needed.
3 offices. Sooo, now on the days we both are home, if I get bounced to the garage, that is fine by me.
I feel like we have friction only because we now have the added stress of kids, but we both agree, so worth it.
The upside to the sporadic friction is flexibility, freedom and opportunity. Anyone whose worked out of the home knows what this means...good or bad.
DW and I have total opposite personalities so naturally anyone who is in that situation knows the good is good and the ugly is ugly lol.
Oh, I drop kids off in the morning, but sometimes if DW is not working out, she will drop them off for me, which is rare. I get the PM workout shift in our setup. It's hard to get a solid 1.5hr session in for both parents with kids, but we make it happen. #healthIsWealth #comprimise

Of course being the BWE I love being with DH but we need to NOT do a lot of things together, like go to the gym at the same time. I think it’s important to remember boundaries. But I don’t think being together too much causes divorce for long-married couples. If the magic is gone from the relationship, it’s gone and everyone deals with that in their own way. The Younger Next Year book sort of suggested any spouse is better than no spouse (“old Fred”) for the golden years, but I doubt that would be true for most people.

Just as one plans their finances for FIRE, I believe you also need to plan your time to a degree. And if you have a spouse or significant other, it becomes important to plan (and communicate) the time aspect as it relates to the two of you. This was something DW and I talked about for years before I retired.

DW has currently chosen to keep teaching part time. it is a choice of something she likes to do, we do not need it financially (and did not include it in our retirement finances). It works out to her being out of the house the equivalent of 2 days a week. So we are not constantly around each other.

But, even when she does decide to stop (or take a break), we have enough interests in common, and interests that are different, that we do not get into each others hair. I might be in my man cave watching sports for several hours, or she might be in our bedroom or family room watching operas for several hours, and we are perfectly happy with that. Sometimes one or the other of us will just go to where the other is, just to look at them and smile before going back to our interest - you'd be surprised at how that simple gesture makes us feel close. Other times we might be in the same area but working on different things- that also makes us feel close.

We like each other enough to still date, go out together shopping (even it we decide to split up shopping due to different interests and meet somewhere when we are done), etc.

The sad, but true, factor is that one day, due to illness and death, we will not be able to spend time with each other at all... and at that time one may wish again for those "getting on each others nerves being around each other" days... so until that occurs, we are going to make the most of this blessed time together.

DH and I love doing things together, but also enjoy being home together doing different things. We aren’t TV watchers but we do like our iPads for internet activity.

I’m much more social and involved with others than he is. I have a lot of activities related to my volunteer work with a local university and also have friends I meet up with for lunch.

So far after 2 years of ER, we’ve spent less time together than I expected when we’ve been home, but when we’ve traveled, which has been often, we’re generally together 24/7. That’s been great for us, no issues.

We spend a lot of time together. We travel a fair amount so that means on average 4-5 months in each others company during those travels.

But I draw the line at shopping trips. I have absolutely no interest and no patience for it. Most especially when those trips are not for anything specific, ie 'just to look around'. I know, it this is a personal failure on my part however we all have our less than attractive personal attributes. I will not even consider going to a shopping mall between November and January.

With our move, she was able to convert her j*b to a full time w*rk from home position, so we are now around each other pretty much 24/7. I was initially a little worried about that, but so far it's been great. Our day is similar to what Nords eluded to in a previous thread...

I just finished posting over there and then found my name over here linked to a similar thread-- yikes.

I’d like to think that my spouse and I have figured out our lifetime relationship. We come from similar backgrounds, we’ve both had a plebe year, and our careers required us to figure out how to work with difficult people. We also pulled together in harness on the parenting challenge, which requires more hours of thoughtful discussion while exhausted.

Togetherness has always been about communicating and agreeing on our roles. Everything is perpetually subject to re-negotiation. There are always things which one spouse no longer wants to be responsible for, or at least doesn’t want to do anymore. There might be more things which one spouse wants to explore, and the other is less interested.

We’ve always enjoyed being at home, spending our introvert time “alone together” in opposite ends of the rooms. We get together for chores, projects, & meals. We have our own friends & social lives as well as our shared ones.

I think our biggest debate since FI has been landlording. We’ve done it since 1994, I don’t want to do it anymore, and she has very personal reasons for doing something which she doesn’t mind too much.

Last year’s 68-day rehab required a tremendous amount of advance planning, a GC with several subcontractors, and quite a bit of our own sweat equity. When we weren’t on site all day (or even longer) then we were planning the next day or scrambling to salvage the current one. I realized that the thrill of replacing water heaters and toilets has lost its novelty for the rest of my life. The rehab was also surprisingly extraordinarily painful-- I personally went through over a hundred 800mg doses of ibuprofen. You realize that you’re in your 50s, not your 20s, and you might not be able to recover from the pace anymore. Chronic fatigue accumulates and you find yourself [-]arguing[/-] having an intense spouse discussion about topics which would normally not even be noticed. At least we were debating project management, not expenses. At least we settled our differences and moved forward.

We’ve held on to our rental property for the bird-in-the-hand syndrome. Maybe our daughter and son-in-law will want to live in it someday, or maybe we’d move back in to it when we can no longer keep up our current home. Our rental property is very age-in-place friendly in a very walkable neighborhood, while our current home would require a yard service. Maybe it’d even need a stair-chair and perhaps a housecleaner.

Yet during our 68 days I realized that I like our current home a lot better and I’d prefer to die here. (At one point my spouse assured me that was quite likely.) As good as our rental property is, the neighborhood is noisy. The yard is small and the view is negligible. Meanwhile our current home’s drawbacks are logistics challenges which can easily be handled with... money.

Financial independence means that you can do more of what you love and less of what you don’t. Once we had the property back on the rental market, I shared with my spouse that I didn’t want to landlord any more. (Heck, I barely want to adult any more.) I wanted to sell the place, pay the taxes, dump the rest into equities, and keep traveling the world.

She pointed out that our rental property was her backup plan. If I died in our home then she wouldn’t want to live in it anymore, but she could handle the memories we’d forged in our rental property. (I’d never thought of that.) I pointed out that she’d just sentenced me to a lifetime of landlording with no parole.

Our compromise is that she now handles all the landlording. (I’m still on-call labor.) She’s had quite the hassle getting the tenants settled in, and I’m not sure that everything is going as well as it could, but after 13 months it seems to be in autopilot. Maybe after a few more 1 AM texts or if the tenants thoughtlessly trash the place, then she’ll feel the same way about landlording as I do. Maybe she’ll decide to hire it all out to a property manager or even sell it. Either way I have most of what I want, and she has most of what she wants. We’re both happier for having worked it out together. We both feel more secure together.

Our second-biggest debate has been flying in first class on commercial airlines. She’s finally begun to appreciate the travel experience of someone who’s larger, who has wider shoulders than economy-class seatbacks, and who gets body-searched Every. Single. Time. even with the Pre-check scanners. (TSA thinks she’s charming. Then she curls up in a window seat with sleep mask & earplugs, and doesn’t wake up until the landing gear drops.) I’ll put up with a few hours in economy seats during daylight, but on an eight-hour redeye to the Mainland I want a first-class experience.

She doesn’t see the value in flying first class, although she now appreciates my perspective. We’ve done the math to show that travel hacking (and flying military Space A) more than makes up for the cost of a first-class ticket, and we’re not spending it fast enough anyway.

We joke that we’ve known each other for 39 years, been married for 32, and lived together for 30. (Because Navy.) A good friend who knows us well once said that we tend to discuss every disagreement to completion and compromise. We rarely seem to yell “Fine!” or stomp off to neutral corners. Instead we dig into the analysis (or manage to table it until we’re rested) and we eventually work through it.

So far so good.

Last edited:
Our second-biggest debate has been flying in first class on commercial airlines. She’s finally begun to appreciate the travel experience of someone who’s larger, who has wider shoulders than economy-class seatbacks, and who gets body-searched Every. Single. Time. even with the Pre-check scanners. (TSA thinks she’s charming. Then she curls up in a window seat with sleep mask & earplugs, and doesn’t wake up until the landing gear drops.) I’ll put up with a few hours in economy seats during daylight, but on an eight-hour redeye to the Mainland I want a first-class experience.

She doesn’t see the value in flying first class, although she now appreciates my perspective. We’ve done the math to show that travel hacking (and flying military Space A) more than makes up for the cost of a first-class ticket, and we’re not spending it fast enough anyway.

I like your description of two introverts spending time together. I can certainly relate to the goodness that comes from what you described.

And, I have a fix for your 1st class travel problem... Since your wife puts on her sleeping mask, curls ups and stays that way until the plane touches down, there is obviously not much contact between you two. So I suggest you fly 1st class where you can spread out your larger body and let her sleep in Economy. What could possibly go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom