FIRE and going back to work!!

deserat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After reading the thread on what this DB has given to the membership, I thought I would post on my update as I do consider this community a welcoming, generous and interesting one. If you look at my profile, I have been around for quite awhile...and I consider myself FI and could be RE. I've written about how I like the FI aspect as it gives me freedom to make decisions not only from an economic basis. Well, I've made a decision to go back to work--I have been working part-time with my consulting for the intellectual engagement, however, due to several major personal transitions, I applied for a position overseas last December. I will be moving to Germany for a position at a hospital working in Health IT. The appointment is 3-5 years and at that point I will start receiving my Reserve military pension and be truly retired....

So, why did I do this?

1) The job looks interesting and is something I have not done before
2) I love the location
3) I negotiated the largest vacation time available (> 1 month per year)
4) I can always quit and move back in a year if I hate it
5) With my military background, the 3 year-itis bug has hit me twice since I've lived where I do now

My message to those of you either anticipating FIRE, in FIRE or near FIRE - do what you think you should do. Being FI gives you options once you get there....and retirement is what you want it to be. Not all people mind having something challenging/interesting to do with their time that is paid for by someone else....interestingly, I've met a few on this board personally and they are FI and yet they still work, albeit not for pay, just doing what they enjoy.

And for FIRE'd - hope to ski in France this winter....will PM asking for tips on skiing near where you are....

:)

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun for you. Keep us informed of how you are doing as you adjust to your new surroundings and return to the workforce.

I've thought about it from time to time and I always wonder how well I would adjust now that I'm so used to having no schedule to adhere to. But it sounds like you've thought it out carefully and I'm happy for you.

Congratulations! I hope you will keep us posted on the move.

Congratulations.

I just ran into a possible part-time opportunity which ticks all the boxes for me. I'm not looking for w*rk, and the money isn't great, but it's doing stuff I enjoy, and already do a lot of for free, and wanted to do more of anyway.

My only concern is, if it even happens, that it might be so much fun I'd get roped into doing it full time. Which I guess wouldn't be bad (get paid to have fun) but it would break my promise of no more full-time w*rk!

Outstanding and have fun.

That sounds like a cool adventure of a gig, especially knowing you can pull the plug anytime (and skip a tucson summer or two).

Have fun, keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom