Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE article on BBC
Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE article on BBC

Pretty decent article for the most part. Some usual scaremongering from financial advisors but it paints the actual FIREers in a sensible and sympathetic light.

BBC - Capital - FIRE: The movement to live frugally and retire decades early
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #2

Good article. And yep, the shallow mindedness of the FA's quoted in the article continues to reinforce my disgust of that community.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In regards to the 4% rule the article says:

Quote:
But this rule has its flaws, especially when applied to young people. It’s generally used for those retiring in their 60s, who aren’t likely to need money for more than 30 years.
I disagree in part. It is not the rule that is flawed, rather it is the application of the rule to the wrong part of the population that is flawed. Still they make a good point. Often I hear people talk about the 4% rule and they forget the that it is aimed at those in their 60's who need about 30 years max of assured income.

What these young people need are assets that will continue to vigorously grow for at least the first 20-30 years of their 'retirement'. Then they can coast along with the 4% rule and probably come out OK.

Their biggest risk is some exogenous event that will upset their plans. A lot can happen in 30-50 years. After 10-15 years out of the job market, they may only be qualified to 'flip burgers', assuming that the burger joints are still using humans to do that work. So, part of their retirement needs to be a plan to get up to speed in the event of some unexpected event.

OTOH, it is great to see young people not willing to hand their future financial success over to some Megacorp, politician, FA, or other entity that may not have their bet interests at heart. I'm glad they have learned from the elders (many of whom were betrayed by those they trusted) who lost their retirement assets at the hands of others. Even if they don't manage to retire 'early' they will hopefully have enough assets that they don't have to 'take it' if the job gets oppressive.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed the articles. I actually think they may help some folks who, because of Job loss, feel hopeless. Many folks have trouble thinking outside the box but you can reinvent yourself after 50.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting take on the FIRE Early movement by a guy who I give some credit to for my own somewhat early retirement:

https://mailchi.mp/jonathanclements/...s?e=1cb19528ba

Quote:
There’s some sliver of truth to these complaints. Still, it feels like a cooked-up controversy. In a country where most people save too little and are pitifully ill-prepared for retirement, should we really be getting worked up over folks who are maybe saving a tad too diligently? Indeed, I’d argue we need more Americans who are willing to sacrifice today so they can have a better tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - the anti-FIRE movement seems a bit contrived.

But, gosh, I bet a whole lotta folks had no idea that there was even a FIRE movement.

We’re pretty good about staying under the radar, so I’m not sure if the exposure is a good thing or not.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah - the anti-FIRE movement seems a bit contrived.
It really shows us the culture of the current so-called 'news' media. More and more we see Merchants of Outrage (as one senator has called them) who like to generate hot controversy and even hostility towards others, where it normally would not exist.

Hey, if one can really retire as a 30-something, Great! I believe it is a lot harder than some of these people think, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Definitely Merchants of Outrage - good one! Gosh, that been going on for quite a while now and one of the reasons I quit watching news.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's an interesting take on the FIRE Early movement by a guy who I give some credit to for my own somewhat early retirement:

https://mailchi.mp/jonathanclements/...s?e=1cb19528ba

D*mn that was well written. I might have to read one of his books. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
It really shows us the culture of the current so-called 'news' media. More and more we see Merchants of Outrage (as one senator has called them) who like to generate hot controversy and even hostility towards others, where it normally would not exist.
+1 as well. Love it. Great phrase.