Fire in the hole!

HFWR

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Though my last day of w*rk was the 22nd, yesterday was my official last day, assuming the HR folks, now on holiday, get the paperwork done in a timely fashion.

After 32 years in semiconductor "research", and another 12 as "miscellaneous" worker bee, and, for that matter, nearly 11 years on ER.org, my plan has come to fruition!

Now to smash the hell out of my alarm clock!

Name added to the 2015 roster.

Congratulations!

You showed up on the forum about the time I pulled the plug, a little over 10 years ago. Hope your first 10 years of retirement are as enjoyable as mine were!

Congrats! But don't smash that alarm clock - maybe once or twice a year you will need it for something you want to do! You might want to write down the instructions on how to set it, before you forget (and I'm not joking!).

-ERD50

Congratulations!

You showed up on the forum about the time I pulled the plug, a little over 10 years ago. Hope your first 10 years of retirement are as enjoyable as mine were!

Yep, and after some brief reconsideration, I came up with "Have Funds, Will Retire", HFWR for short, a play on the name of the old TV show " Have Guns, Will Travel"...

Though my last day of w*rk was the 22nd, yesterday was my official last day, assuming the HR folks, now on holiday, get the paperwork done in a timely fashion.

After 32 years in semiconductor "research", and another 12 as "miscellaneous" worker bee, and, for that matter, nearly 11 years on ER.org, my plan has come to fruition!

Name added to the 2015 roster.

Congratulations! :dance: :dance: :dance:

May your alarm clock rest in everlasting peace.

Congratulations! Just leave the clock going and enjoy the fact that some other poor SOB has to be somewhere and you don't!

That was in my retirement plans too. But as noted there are two or three days a year when I actually want to get up early for some activity. But it's always something more fun than w*rk.

Congratulations HFWR! Was the last 12 years a long OMY? :D

Go ahead an smash the alarm clock if you want... I do need to set an alarm occasionally (mostly for golf) and when I do I just use my cellphone.

What are you going to do now?

HFWR, you said you have been on the forum for over a decade. This leads to a question. If my plan is right, I will be finished in about 10 years. How did you keep a good attitude watching so many on this forum RE each year while you work towards it?

Many days I find myself already with short-timers disease. I may be unbearable in six or seven years. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hot dog!!! CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the rest of your life!

Go ahead an smash the alarm clock if you want... I do need to set an alarm occasionally (mostly for golf) and when I do I just use my cellphone.

I put my alarm clock in a drawer - - and then went out and bought one that plays delightful bird songs to awaken me gently, on days when I want to get up earlier. Awakening slowly over fifteen minutes or so while listening to bird songs is much more civilized.

Last edited:
Congrats!! Guess you have the funds. Now you will retire!

...I put my alarm clock in a drawer - - and then went out and bought one that plays delightful bird songs to awaken me gently, on days when I want to get up earlier. Awakening slowly over fifteen minutes or so while listening to bird songs is much more civilized.

My cellphone sort of does that... it does 3 minutes of "Birdsong by the lake"... ( I could do 15 minutes, but that would be a bit decadent)..... then it tells me today's weather, today's schedule and today's news headline.

Congratulations, HFWR!!!! Retirement is fun!

HFWR, you said you have been on the forum for over a decade. This leads to a question. If my plan is right, I will be finished in about 10 years. How did you keep a good attitude watching so many on this forum RE each year while you work towards it?

Many days I find myself already with short-timers disease. I may be unbearable in six or seven years. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

It wasn't always easy, but this forum has served me well in learning about all sorts of FIRE-related issues. Plus, the entertainment value alone is worth the price of admission.

Congratulations HFWR! Was the last 12 years a long OMY? :D

What are you going to do now?

Will likely still need the occasional alarm function, but it's the symbolism I'm going for.

As for what I'll do all day, like the experience of many who have gone before, I have a list of chores, hobbies, and travel destinations, toss in some decompression, and I'm also curious as to what exactly my body clock will decide is my new default sleep schedule.

And, frankly, I'm a pretty damned good slacker, and a bit ADD as well. I can definitely entertain myself. :p

Back
Top Bottom