Join Early Retirement Today

First retirement check
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First retirement check

Can anyone remember what it was like to receive their first retirement check? It sure is an exhilarating occasion. It's really mind blowing to think that you're getting paid when you've been nowhere near your office, desk, or computer at work. Please describe how you felt on this joyous occasion.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I'm currently paying myself from my own savings and investments. No pension for me, and I'm still 12 years away from being able to claim SS (if I claim it early), but I think that first SS check is going to feel great!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My first retirement check showed up in February of 2009, four years after I retired. It was a SS check and I received it with a huge sense of relief as the portfolio I had been drawing from was plunging toward unknown depths...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What are these "checks" that you speak of? 😼

I do not receive checks (or funds of any kind) from external parties, apart from some occasional consulting work. I make electronic transfers of my own funds into my current account.

The way your question is phrased, you must have one of those "pensions", like my father had. 👴
If so, rejoice! 😋
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Whether it's a pension or SS, it sure feels strange to get a check when you haven't had to suffer the immediate trauma associated with the stress and turmoil of work. In reality, it feels quite good.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Gotta feel good
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've received four pension checks and still can't quite get used to being paid for not working.......It is great!
just walk away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Whether it's a pension or SS, it sure feels strange to get a check when you haven't had to suffer the immediate trauma associated with the stress and turmoil of work. In reality, it feels quite good.
You are so right, PERS!

For the past couple of years, I have been receiving my portion of my ex's megacorp pension (he is 7 years older than me--we were married 21 years). In 5 years, I'll receive my much smaller pension from the same megacorp (also split with him via the divorce QDRO).

After all those years slaving away, it's nice to get that little deposit every month. Hey, it's there just now for this month!

Not exactly the same feeling as getting monthly distributions from the IRA...it does seem somehow more connected to the w*rk done all those years...
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #9

It feels great to get my pension payment each month.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Very true. Although my little check is not quite as robust as the original salary, it is still nice to know I get this for sleeping in, lazing around, doing what I want to do. Not for hosting meetings and managing drop-dead deadlines (which would eventually cause me to drop dead).
Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have not yet started drawing my pension. Letting it grow. SS is at least 4 years away, and more likely 12.

However, my "paychecks" are my quarterly dividend deposits from my taxable account investments and my monthly transfer from my investments. And they still feel good even though I realize it is just shifting money from one pocket to another.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll let you know in about 2 weeks. Retired Jan 1st, but first check takes 6 weeks to get it. They then are regular at the end of the month.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 AM   #13

Retired on 6/30/13. Got my first pension check for July on 6/30/13. Got my last pay check on 7/5/13 and my vacation pay out on 7/12/13. The last one was big. That's the last I will see of all those big bucks rolling in. That monthly pension check sure is nice though. But I do work hard for it. I have to breathe a lotta air to keep that puppy coming in.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My first retirement check showed up in February of 2009, four years after I retired. It was a SS check and I received it with a huge sense of relief as the portfolio I had been drawing from was plunging toward unknown depths...
REW-I'd be interested in hearing how you analyzed whether to take SS early, if you considered the payback/restart option after the market recovered, etc. One of the back-up options we have considered is collecting SS early so, I'm interested in how others have made that decision.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
REW-I'd be interested in hearing how you analyzed whether to take SS early, if you considered the payback/restart option after the market recovered, etc. One of the back-up options we have considered is collecting SS early so, I'm interested in how others have made that decision.
My analysis on taking SS at 62 was done at the most basic level - financial survival. We'd been living entirely off our investments for four years, and by early 2009 the value of our portfolio had declined by more than 30% with no end to the free-fall in sight. We cut back our spending but I felt it was essential that we reduce our withdrawal rate even more, and taking SS early would allow us to cut our withdrawals by a third.

As to consideration of the SS payback/restart option, yes I did consider it but missed the window. By the time our portfolio recovered to the point I felt comfortable with a "do-over", the SS Administration had changed their policy and I was no longer eligible: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rip-53563.html

Hindsight indicates we may have been financially better off to delay until FRA or age 70. However, the psychological benefit at the time was more than worth whatever future benefits I may forgo.

YMMV...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is payday

Sent from my XT1049 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #17

All my life I had to do something useful for money so the first couple of years it brought on a sense of surreality. I mean, all I have to do is keep breathing and they send me money every month? Can this be true? What's the catch? There must be one!

Like everything else, one gets used to it after a while. But it still makes me grin.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #18
gone traveling

No SS, no Pension.

Just getting by (me & DW) on our investments and an SPIA, purchased at retirement back in 2007 with some of the "profits" from our long term holdings. BTW, we're both age 66, and both retired (old pharts).

I'm not an expert on the market, but I/we have been in it since '82 (some 32 years). We take our profits (e.g. add to our cash bucket) during the good years and just sit back during the down years.

It's not rocket science; it's just the history of the long term equity marketplace. If you're a short term player (e.g. less than 10 years) then you will always have worries.

As for us? We're at peace ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by just walk away View Post
I've received four pension checks and still can't quite get used to being paid for not working.......It is great!
Same number of pension checks received for me, and same sentiment. Keep 'em coming, and I'll keep ing at each one.
DUFUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #20

DH retired with a pension in 2010. When I posted about his retirement someone here remarked that if he has a pulse at the end of the month he gets another check. Of course, it's really a direct deposit, but I still get that same feeling of "nice to know it's in the bank".

Congratulations on your first one! Enjoy your freedom!