Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

check out weatherspark.com, really cool tool for comparing average climate in different parts of the world.
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Been in North Carolina for 17 years, and we love it here. People are friendlier than Florida. The weather can be very dry as it can be humid. We have a humifidier when it gets dry. If you are not near the water during summer, humidity is fine. If you go up the Blueridge mountains during summer, it stays below 78-79. Nice. In the Triad area, You’re 2.5 - 4 hours away from VA Beach, Myrtle Beach, OuterBanks and other NC Beach

Triad, perfect balance!
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
Triad, perfect balance!
Depends on exactly what you're after. I'll take Charlotte metro over the Triad any day, but the weather is probably very similar.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it takes a few years under your belt living in an area before passing any judgements.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless you are in NC mountains, it will be very hot and humid in the summer.

I spent the last 7 years in St. petersburg FL near (not directly on) the Gulf, and the average summertime high was about 91 or 92, and the humidity is nothing like it would be even an hour inland.

The drawback, if you care to call it that, is that it is like having 6 months of summer.

The advantage as we see it, is we can be out and active 365 days a year, the only caveat being that walking/exercising is done early AM from April thru October.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Depends on exactly what you're after. I'll take Charlotte metro over the Triad any day, but the weather is probably very similar.
Live in the Triad area. Moved from the Cleveland Ohio area nearly 40 years ago (Wow, that seems odd saying that). The humidity in late July and August in Cleveland was worse than here, but only lasted for about 4 -6 weeks. Here, the humidity is high for about 4-5 months. After a month or so, you get used to it though. The weather in Charlotte is always a few degrees higher that here, and the risk for major storms seems higher there (Greensboro is protected by the mountains in the west, and enough distance from the ocean to avoid many of the storms).

That said, the live in the Triad is nice. People complain about the commute. I point out that if the traffic is bad, I take a different route home and make it in 25 minutes instead of 15! Taxes aren't bad here, the state legislature is a microcosm of our federal Congress, dysfunctional at times, but the people who live here would give you their shirt off of their backs if you need it.

Now,if we can keep those pesky Yankees from moving down here and ruining it!

My favorite line from here:
"Hold my beer while I show you this!"
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree, I grew up in Triad and have been all over country but still love coming back after each trip. Having a place at the beach is always a nice get away though.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another benefit of the Triad region is the transportation. The access to interstates is great with I40 and I85, the new I73 and I74 getting in place as well as the state routes. This allows for easy access to the mountains of NC, VA and TN as well as the SC, NC and VA beaches. To top it off, the airport is large enough to get you anywhere with no lines and easy parking.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote