Follow the Sun

Swamp Fox

Dryer sheet aficionado
Planning to retire next year. Thinking of keeping a home base in the US, and have extended stays in Asia and Central/South America during the year. Wondering if anyone has done this or is thinking of doing it? Will try to time my stays during the best weather periods abroad.

We thought about Oregon to Florida, ended up with 1050 mile spread between Oregon and La Quinta California. The travel logistics take up a week or two each year back and forth, OTOH, we see lots of sun, little rain, and avoid the broiler temps down south. Closer would be much easier, and I can imagine the commute getting rough as we age in.

That seems like a two day drive. Can see it getting more and more tiresome as you age. Same issue when I fly to Asia, about 23 hours house to hotel.

Planning to retire next year. Thinking of keeping a home base in the US, and have extended stays in Asia and Central/South America during the year. Wondering if anyone has done this or is thinking of doing it? Will try to time my stays during the best weather periods abroad.

We have been doing this since we ER'ed in 2010, but not to Asia or South America.

Each summer (5 or 6 months) we have spent in Europe, N. America and the UK. This year is Europe, next year we are planning on Australasia.

Alan, I am open to adding Europe to the mix. Perhaps Spain and Malta.

We've been to Spain 3 times now, and going again this year. I know several folks who have been to Malta and have given us positive reviews.

Retiring 2016 and planning to do exactly that. First move to a warmer part of Australia- Gold Coast in Queensland.
Then we would like to spend a few months of every year in Southern Europe and South East Asia during our Cooler months

We are planning to spend summers in Europe and winters in a warm and sunny US location when DW retires, although pets currently add a layer of logistical complexity which is hard to overcome.

Yes I have been thinking of doing it. See my previous posts on this topic, under different threads.

We are planning to spend summers in Europe and winters in a warm and sunny US location when DW retires, although pets currently add a layer of logistical complexity which is hard to overcome.

That's why we stopped keeping pets after the last pair of cats died a few years ago. They were from the same litter, always got on great with one another, and died within a few months of one another aged 15.

That's why we stopped keeping pets after the last pair of cats died a few years ago. They were from the same litter, always got on great with one another, and died within a few months of one another aged 15.

+1. Said to my DW, no more dogs after the current 2 are gone. If she decides to have more, then I vacation alone:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom