Food stamps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently was reading a novel, and there was a passage'"he was dressed like any other retiree, t-shirt, shorts and flip flops".
I cracked up because that is how I dress:)

Yup, that's the official uniform of retirees. As for you not yet retired, remember you want to "dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

I used to walk around the office in stocking feet. Told everyone they should see me when I come in on my day off; bathrobe and slippers! Never actually got that far, but I did have them wondering.

I've been doing a lot of yardwork lately, and I'm running out of t-shirts that don't have holes in them from clearing pricker bushes. But there are also fewer and fewer times I really need one without holes :)

Cashiers have told me tales of luxury food items being bought with those EBT cards. I'm not sure how the relatively small SNAP benefit can stretch through the month if used in such a way, but maybe the user gets multiple benefits depending on # of children?

Yoga pants seem to be standard female daytime attire where I live. Unless it's cold, men typically wear knee-length gym shorts. If the man is well-built, he shows it off with a sleeveless gym top. If not, T-shirts are typical. I couldn't actually tell you what older people wear. I only see their faces, and whether they smile back at me or not. Below the neck is sort of shapeless/colorless.

I recently was reading a novel, and there was a passage'"he was dressed like any other retiree, t-shirt, shorts and flip flops".
I cracked up because that is how I dress:)

I have to go with Crocks - - - me gots ugly feet. :(

Cashiers have told me tales of luxury food items being bought with those EBT cards.

Anecdotes like these have led to some very cruel and often unwarranted stereotyping of those who rely on SNAP benefits. An earlier poster mentioned witnessing people "using food stamps all the time" while pulling ebt cards out of their designer purses. I would venture a guess that for every recipient who bought a "luxury" item or pulled an ebt card out of a nice purse, there are ten others who are guilty of nothing more than being part of the working poor and with hungry kids to feed.

Having some personal and painful experience in my own past to draw from in this regard, I can say that it is not always easy to ask for help and having to accept the charity of others can leave a person feeling embarrassed. Are there people gaming the SNAP program? Sure, but there are far more individuals that genuinely need and deserve the help (statistically, most are children) and working to become independent of such assistance. Sadly, too many of these folks end up having to experience the humiliation of customers that stand behind them in the grocery check out line staring and clucking their tongues in disapproval while judging them more harshly than they probably deserve.

Around here we call it the Game- "Homeless Person or College Professor?"

We were on a cruise a year ago, and were making snarky comments to each other about a rather scruffy person that we saw in line. Homeless Person, or College Professor? We guessed college professor. Sure enough, he ended up at our table, and he was a college professor!

Jefferson Labs was across the street from my kid's school. The bums wandering up and down the street were actually the scientists over at the Labs. :LOL:

I believe the switchover from stamps (coupons) to cards was intended to prevent such clucking, etc., since the EBT is indistinguishable from a credit card unless you are bending over the customer to examine their card. Really, the cashiers would be the only ones who would know.

Sadly, too many of these folks end up having to experience the humiliation of customers that stand behind them in the grocery check out line staring and clucking their tongues in disapproval while judging them more harshly than they probably deserve.

Anecdotes like these have led to some very cruel and often unwarranted stereotyping of those who rely on SNAP benefits. An earlier poster mentioned witnessing people "using food stamps all the time" while pulling ebt cards out of their designer purses. I would venture a guess that for every recipient who bought a "luxury" item or pulled an ebt card out of a nice purse, there are ten others who are guilty of nothing more than being part of the working poor and with hungry kids to feed.

Having some personal and painful experience in my own past to draw from in this regard, I can say that it is not always easy to ask for help and having to accept the charity of others can leave a person feeling embarrassed. Are there people gaming the SNAP program? Sure, but there are far more individuals that genuinely need and deserve the help (statistically, most are children) and working to become independent of such assistance. Sadly, too many of these folks end up having to experience the humiliation of customers that stand behind them in the grocery check out line staring and clucking their tongues in disapproval while judging them more harshly than they probably deserve.

Yes. If you need it you have my support. But do not let it hinder your progress.
It's not pretty but that's how I see it. And yes I struggle every day with this issue. As a volunteer ... Too tired

When I ERd, I started wearing jean shorts every day and I rotate between an Auburn and Alabama T shirt bought for $6 each at Dollar General. I only shave Wednesdays and Sundays.

We have a lake house in a very exclusive area with 2 incredible Robt. Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Most lake people drive Lexus' and Mercedes'. When I drive to our local grocery store and gas station in my old pick up truck, all the farm hands and locals go out of their way to speak to me. I always am glad that I am accepted in all societies--despite looking a little disadvantaged. if I had the food stamp card, I wouldn't get a second look.

I am very sorry for my remark .I believe people in tough situations need all the help they can get but unfortunately lots of time the system gets gamed by undeserving people and that is sad.

I believe the switchover from stamps (coupons) to cards was intended to prevent such clucking, etc., since the EBT is indistinguishable from a credit card unless you are bending over the customer to examine their card. Really, the cashiers would be the only ones who would know.

Not here in Iowa. The EBT cards have a very distinguishing picture of a farm.

I am very sorry for my remark .I believe people in tough situations need all the help they can get but unfortunately lots of time the system gets gamed by undeserving people and that is sad.

You also have to remember that circumstances sometimes change abruptly for people. My family ended up on food stamps when I was a teen, near the end of my dad's battle with lymphoma. We had a newer car, I had a leather bomber jacket and I'm sure my mom had a nice purse.

I tend to buy cars new and keep them til the wheels fall off. So when I have finally thrown in the towel and bought a car I often have one of the nicer cars in the spots I frequent. Later in the cycle I will at the bottom of the heap. At this point I am middle of the pack with the '11 F150, near the bottom with the '05 minivan.

Pretty easy to misunderstand when 1 out of every 7 American is on food stamps, the cashier probably hears that question multiple times a day

I’m amazed at the number of retired and reasonably well off people the attend church in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. I know we’re not supposed to judge others, but I’m sure these guys can show a little respect in a church and at least where shoes and long pants.

I found a nearly new T-shirt last week at a thrift store for $2. Has a "mod art" drawing of James Dean on the front-very cool! That's the one I now wear when I "go out".

Not sure where you live, but that is definitely not the case by me. Where I live, the EBT cards are very unique looking and obvious for anyone to see. And in my local grocery store the cashiers use a dedicated EBT card reader and a surprisingly large number of shoppers use them. Far more than the national stats indicate.

I went to Aldi to pick up some groceries, they have shopping carts where you have to put in a quarter to unlock them.
I drove there in our 20 yr old car, probably didn't shave that day as I often will skip a day.
As I'm approaching the carts and some lady is putting away her cart, so she stops to hand off her cart to me, and I hand her my quarter... which she refuses to accept and walks off :eek:

She walked off probably with the illusion of having just helped out some poor old guy.

I had a lady buy me and my then-pregnant DW a pizza when we were a few bucks short on cash at the register at Aldi and I couldn't remember my debit PIN number. I tried to put it back and refuse it. But the lady behind me bought it and brought it out to us. I found enough quarters in the car to repay her but she wouldn't take it.

She said she had been there before, pregnant and not having enough to eat and "knows how it feels" :D I guess we need to dress a little more sharply in the future...

Perhaps it is only me, but I don't seem to look at other people's payment cards as they are taking them out, swiping/chipping, signing,
etc. And I also don't notice which button they press on the card machine - although I have accidentally pressed the "EBT" button myself, and know it's there.

So, even if people's EBT cards were hot pink with a big "SNAP"written across the front, I wouldn't know ;)

Not sure where you live, but that is definitely not the case by me. Where I live, the EBT cards are very unique looking and obvious for anyone to see. And in my local grocery store the cashiers use a dedicated EBT card reader and a surprisingly large number of shoppers use them. Far more than the national stats indicate.

The ones I've seen here have American flag designs on them and function exactly like a visa debit card. We live in an area surrounded by lower income neighborhoods so "food stamps" (EBT) are very common. Pretty much everything works with food stamps except the hot fried chicken, beer, and cigs.

These are totally different from the WIC vouchers that look more like checks or big coupons. Very noticeable and terribly time consuming if you're stuck behind someone and things don't go right with the checkout process.

Perhaps it is only me, but I don't seem to look at other people's payment cards as they are taking them out, swiping/chipping, signing,
etc. And I also don't notice which button they press on the card machine - although I have accidentally pressed the "EBT" button myself, and know it's there.

So, even if people's EBT cards were hot pink with a big "SNAP"written across the front, I wouldn't know ;)

This is confusing to me. How do you know whom to poverty shame?

+1

I've never watched anybody. Nor do I care.

I recall being in a small rural grocery store and DW needed a can of tomato soup for a recepie. I was dressed causally but it was normal BC attire.

A lady ahead of me had her child give me the money to pay for the soup! Hahaha

+1

I've never watched anybody. Nor do I care.

I recall being in a small rural grocery store and DW needed a can of tomato soup for a recepie. I was dressed causally but it was normal BC attire.

A lady ahead of me had her child give me the money to pay for the soup! Hahaha

Personally, I don't care either. But where I live the EBT card swipe is on a separate and different device. And since the card is very unique looking (NOT hot pink, though!) it is as obvious to anyone on line as if someone were paying with a check or a fistful of nickels.

In South Florida, it is not at all uncommon to see people eating at expensive restaurants dressed in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops.

I'm currently reading a series based in the Florida Keys. There was a "scene" where there was a wedding in a dive bar owned by one of the characters, everyone attending knew each other, mostly locals. The dress code was described as "Keys formal", translation: "no bathing suits". :)

Typically I only know they are using EBT because they have to separate out things and pay with cash for anything from the deli or paper products, etc.

I'm used to people assuming I'm poor. I don't have my nails done, my hair is in a ponytail, no makeup, my clothes have no fancy labels, and I don't carry a purse or wear jewelry. So basically not a single social cue salespeople rely on to determine wealth.

Though I was annoyed at the salesperson in the parade of homes as I was not impressed with the kitchen decided to give me a lecture on what "people who could afford a house like this" live like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom