Food stamps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Aldi to pick up some groceries, they have shopping carts where you have to put in a quarter to unlock them.
I drove there in our 20 yr old car, probably didn't shave that day as I often will skip a day.
As I'm approaching the carts and some lady is putting away her cart, so she stops to hand off her cart to me, and I hand her my quarter... which she refuses to accept and walks off :eek:

She walked off probably with the illusion of having just helped out some poor old guy.

LOL - there have been several times that I will offer to take someone's shopping cart that is loading groceries into a car right by where I just parked. I always extend out my hand to give them the quarter - but several times, they have refused. I wasn't looking disheveled or 'poor' - I guess some people either were too ashamed to take a quarter, or they simply wanted to perform some kind gesture.

As for me - I always look for an abandoned cart in the parking lot whenever I walk towards the entrance. Am up about $2 in 'abandoned cart' lucre. :) I've even seen some people walk past abandoned carts on their way into the store, where they promptly put in a quarter to get a new cart. Maybe they don't want one of those "used" carts that no one else wants?

How would someone with an EBT card be able to use any of those self-checkout lanes in supermarkets and other stores like Wal-Mart? They would have the burden of separating EBT-eligible items from the rest, unless the self-checkout monitor has to assist them.

How would someone with an EBT card be able to use any of those self-checkout lanes in supermarkets and other stores like Wal-Mart? They would have the burden of separating EBT-eligible items from the rest, unless the self-checkout monitor has to assist them.

Their POS system (Point of Sale, not the other meaning of that acronym) has all the items in the store categorized. All EBT eligible items are coded one way and all other items are coded another. Or more likely, all items are coded into dozens of different categories (dairy, candy, meat, frozen grocery, drinks, tobacco, beer, wine, hot foods, deli, non-food items, etc). Then the POS software denies certain categories like tobacco, beer, wine, hot foods, and non-food items if you're paying with EBT, or debits the EBT payment for what it can cover then shows the remaining non-EBT eligible balance payable by debit/credit/cash. The categories are used for sales tax accounting and promotions (Spend $20 on dairy products in one order and get a $3 coupon good on your next purchase). Some grocery receipts have letter codes next to the products that reveal what category(ies) specific items fall into.

At least that's how I think it works. :D

LOL - there have been several times that I will offer to take someone's shopping cart that is loading groceries into a car right by where I just parked. I always extend out my hand to give them the quarter - but several times, they have refused. I wasn't looking disheveled or 'poor' - I guess some people either were too ashamed to take a quarter, or they simply wanted to perform some kind gesture.

As for me - I always look for an abandoned cart in the parking lot whenever I walk towards the entrance. Am up about $2 in 'abandoned cart' lucre. :) I've even seen some people walk past abandoned carts on their way into the store, where they promptly put in a quarter to get a new cart. Maybe they don't want one of those "used" carts that no one else wants?

At the Aldi stores I frequent, about half the time there's a pay it forward thing going on. A cart sitting at the cart corral with a quarter already in it, free for the taking. You use it then return it to the cart corral and leave the quarter in it, or pass it to someone in the parking lot and tell them to pass it to the next person. At least I think that's how it works down here in the gentile south.

I'm generally not allowed out of the house wearing shirts, jeans, or shoes with holes in them so that doesn't happen often to me.
Confession... haven't worn "shoes" in the past 25 years. Have a pair of old Dr. Scholls tan velcros that kinda look like shoes.. just for special "dress up" occasions. With my one pair of chinos, almost presentable. :blush:

I’m amazed at the number of retired and reasonably well off people the attend church in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. I know we’re not supposed to judge others, but I’m sure these guys can show a little respect in a church and at least where shoes and long pants.

This brings to mind the story of a carpenter who was known to dress in rags and sandals and associated himself with the unwashed masses.

I was in a Subway on a road trip a few months ago and found that the guy behind me, a nice young man who appeared to be working-class, had paid for my sandwich. I was dressed casually but nothing with holes in it. I was also wearing real jewelry, but of course that wasn't obvious. It was humbling. At least I had a chance to thank him. I'm not as good at doing things for people face-to-face like that, so I paid it forward by leaving an extra-large tip for the maid on an overnight hotel stay the next month.

Last edited:
It's all in the type of t-shirt, IMO.

I have nice, new, fitted womens' t-shirts that I wear to places like that.

But I also have old, ugly, sloppy, stained, WAY oversized comfy men's pocket t-shirts that I only wear around the house. :D Much more comfy.
The things I learn on this forum.

T-shirts have styles! Who knew?:facepalm:
See? This forum is educational. :LOL: I attached images from Google illustrating the difference in fit between these two styles of t-shirt.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 196
:2funny: It does look better! But the one on the right is SO much more comfy..... I prefer it, but never wear it out of the house.
Sure, and it does look much more comfortable. If it were for me, I'd wear the one on the right. But I still prefer the one on the left ... :)

When I ERd, I started wearing jean shorts every day and I rotate between an Auburn and Alabama T shirt bought for $6 each at Dollar General. I only shave Wednesdays and Sundays.

We have a lake house in a very exclusive area with 2 incredible Robt. Trent Jones golf courses on my street. Most lake people drive Lexus' and Mercedes'. When I drive to our local grocery store and gas station in my old pick up truck, all the farm hands and locals go out of their way to speak to me. I always am glad that I am accepted in all societies--despite looking a little disadvantaged. if I had the food stamp card, I wouldn't get a second look.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I retired in 2013 after almost 27 years in the military After that long wearing uniforms and conforming to grooming standards, it is very rare to catch me in something other than shorts, muscle shirt, and flip flops. ( I do wear jeans and boots on my bike) I shave a couple times a week. I do get a haircut a couple of times per month and keep it close cut. It cracks me up when people are staring at my car when out and about and see the "bum" get into it. I drive a new Maserati and my appearance doesnt fit the mold of a luxury sports car enthusiast.

Whereas I am uncomfortable in baggy clothes; even stained work clothes need to fit right. Something about the sensation of clothes hanging off me - of swimming around inside them - just irritates me.

(See, this is why I would never "fit in" at the "old ladies' home," and will just have to stay in my house as I age! I always seem to have the contrarian view, and it's not even a choice - I don't try to be contrary - I just am).

:2funny: It does look better! But the one on the right is SO much more comfy..... I prefer it, but never wear it out of the house.

In South Florida, it is not at all uncommon to see people eating at expensive restaurants dressed in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops.

that wouldn't surprise me as South florida is a very "laid back, beachy type environment"

Last edited:
Perhaps it is only me, but I don't seem to look at other people's payment cards as they are taking them out, swiping/chipping, signing,
etc. And I also don't notice which button they press on the card machine - although I have accidentally pressed the "EBT" button myself, and know it's there.

So, even if people's EBT cards were hot pink with a big "SNAP"written across the front, I wouldn't know ;)

I've always thought I would make the worse "witness". I don't notice a darn thing especially in the supermarket. most of the time if I'm in line I'm trying to speed read people magazine.

LOL I get distracted by talking to people, flirting with tiny kids, etc. I have to be reminded to put in my credit card, which is probably why I've accidentally pressed the EBT button more than once!

I've always thought I would make the worse "witness". I don't notice a darn thing especially in the supermarket. most of the time if I'm in line I'm trying to speed read people magazine.

I got several good laughs at this thread.

When I go to one of my seven rental units to do maintenance or do a call, I'm usually not wearing my Sunday best. I get a lot of looks sometimes not only from my tenants but from those at HD or Lowe's when I pick up a part. I don't wear a tee, fitted or regular that says I'm a member of the 2 comma club.

My ignoramous boss several years made fun of me and the clothes I was wearing to work. Mind you, I showed up for work daily at 5:30 AM every day, go to the change room, and put on my work uniform, normal work shirt, jeans, and steel toed boots. Mind you, I worked in a coal mine. At 6:00 PM, after all reports, paper work, and I've showered and put my "civilian clothes" on, my boss starts making fun of my 2 mismatching blue shorts and tee. Asks if I'm colorblind, or whether I got dressed in the dark. I just told him no, that I was going to meet DW at one of our rentals after my 45 minute commute, eat a hamburger or two, then rip up carpet and padding til 10, before I went home, showered again and went to bed. To this day I'm sure he thought I should be working in Calvin Kleins or something like it.

Another time when the code enforcement officer came for my annual inspection, and he commented how nice the units were kept, and asked if the rental business was really profitable. How could I keep such nice units and afford the sleek black Jaguar parked out front. I told him the Jag belonged to my tenant, and my 6 year old used pickup did me just fine. My pickup, still does me fine, and is 7 years older.

There is a barber here in Oakland who runs the "Pull Up Your Pants Barbershop". He gives out free belts to kids who suffer from the malady you mention.

It's All About That Belt

Just have to relate this. I was at my alma mater to hang around town during a home football game. Went into a Subway restaurant. There I encountered some new life form, perhaps. Or at least a new form of Hipster. It was an old white guy, very thin, balding, full white hillbilly beard bulging out. I think he was wearing pajama bottoms, and a short T shirt. The pajamas were half way down his rear end, yes half way down, no suspenders, and there weren't any underwear to be seen on him. Use your imagination. He waited in line calmly, ordered his sub, then calmly sat down at a table next to me, to eat it. No one said anything, of course. He was one of a kind for my day there. Amazing. Actually, I didn't see much of the hanging pants style on the college kids. Must be out of style there. All the girls were wearing those pre-torn blue jeans.

At the Aldi stores I frequent, about half the time there's a pay it forward thing going on. A cart sitting at the cart corral with a quarter already in it, free for the taking. You use it then return it to the cart corral and leave the quarter in it, or pass it to someone in the parking lot and tell them to pass it to the next person. At least I think that's how it works down here in the gentile south.

So I was in my local Aldi's behind a woman on her cell phone, which is a real nono because they are so quick at the register..the woman finally pays puts her hand on the cart she unloaded her groceries in and then takes the cart next to register (the cashiers loading cart) and promptly walk out of the store with a cart in each hand...I was dumbfounded and then said to the checker she must really need that extra quarter.

You also have to remember that circumstances sometimes change abruptly for people. My family ended up on food stamps when I was a teen, near the end of my dad's battle with lymphoma. We had a newer car, I had a leather bomber jacket and I'm sure my mom had a nice purse.

Absolutely.

“You know, there’s a large number of SNAP participants who are temporarily down on their luck. Maybe they did have a nice car before and they’re still driving it. Do you want them to sell the car? I don’t know. But the length of SNAP participation is only seven to nine months on average.” — What Americans Get Wrong About Food Stamps

FWIW, one of the highest marginal ‘tax’ rates in the country is on people getting some type of welfare or work part time who try to better themselves and get a full time job. Often the loss of benefits can soak up well over 70% of their take home pay. If they need daycare they may lose money.

I went to the grocery store today, and asked the cashier if I could buy stamps. She must have misunderstood me and said "Yes sir, we accept food stamps". Was kind of funny, but have to admit, I was not exactly "dressed for success". That's one of the perks of ER but sometimes I take it too far. I love wearing T shirts.

This post cracks me up-Lol Made me realize I’m practicing every Saturday for retirement! New to Forum and learning all I can, including reading the fun post. [emoji4] I’m planning to jump at 62 and stop meeting the corporate standards of dressing for success. I don’t think I’ll miss it at all. Can’t wait to be in your shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom