For the Birds!

Yesterday I was sitting on my back porch. I heard a bird that I thought I should know. Frustrated, I grabbed my Iphone and camera and walked into the woods. I opened my bird App on my phone, and began playing songs from likely suspects. When I played the pine warbler's song, this little guy showed up. He was looking for the bird in my phone. I quickly began to snap some shots. (one note: If you do this, stop playing the song after the bird arrives. Too much repetition may drive your bird from the territory, when they can't find the competing bird they had just heard. And yes, they are called birdbrains for a reason!)
Yeah, it's pretty amazing how responsive some of these little guys can be to their song! Nice photos! But you're right, you don't want to play recorded bird songs much, particularly when they are establishing territory and raising young as it can interfere. A little bit, however, is just like a rival passing through.

Audrey

2770613220090475266S600x600Q85.jpg

2766182180090475266S600x600Q85.jpg

2521890780090475266S600x600Q85.jpg

2616233550090475266S600x600Q85.jpg

Today I had a FOS (1st of season) Black-chinned hummingbird. This is the most common breeder where I live, and is about 2 weeks earlier than normal.

Yesterday I was sitting on my back porch. I heard a bird that I thought I should know. Frustrated, I grabbed my Iphone and camera and walked into the woods. I opened my bird App on my phone, and began playing songs from likely suspects. When I played the pine warbler's song, this little guy showed up. He was looking for the bird in my phone. I quickly began to snap some shots. (one note: If you do this, stop playing the song after the bird arrives. Too much repetition may drive your bird from the territory, when they can't find the competing bird they had just heard. And yes, they are called birdbrains for a reason!)

Great thread. Good idea the bird app. DW and I love birding. The only exciting thing recently is that I heard a Grouse "thumping" in the distance. I sure sign that spring is near up here in PA.

Anyone know what this is?

YellowBird.jpg

There were about five of them, chickadee sized. Far northern California near the coast.

Looks like a Townsend's Warbler. (in this shot, he is looking right at the camera, right?)

Yes, from head on. Yes, I'm sure that's it, thanks. Here's from the web:

Townsends_Warbler500x333.jpg

2Q==

2Q==

They certainly are a striking bird. Very tough to get a good shot that has the needed field marks for ID. Good job!

Yep, love those Townsend's Warblers. But you have to go west to see them.

He looks smug because he is male, on breeding territory (he had to fly north to get there), and in full breeding plumage! He's probably singing about it too!

Whatever, he's gotta look good for the ladies to pay attention!

Had that pic been taken in the east, I might have guessed Blackburnian Warbler.

He's a handsome fellow! Hopefully DW and I can add the Townsend's to our life list in ER!

(Let me join in with the many others in saying:"Great thread!")

I love birds and have read every one of the posts; however, I have one question for which I have not been able to find an answer. I have always loved wrens. I believer they are officially called Carolina Wrens. I thought I saw some in my back yard so I decided to get some nest boxes. Bought them on line as certified to specs for wrens. I hung one up in my oak tree but have not had any hits on that box. It swings when the wind blows and wonder if that is a problem. Any answers out there?

Based on your location (Florida), the carolina wren is the wren of choice. The other three commonly seen in winter, sedge wren, winter wren, and marsh wren most likely would be more difficult to see due to their very shy nature.

How high is the bird house off the ground? Moving in the wind is not a good idea. Is there cover close by (bushes, shrubs, small trees)? All will help make the box a home for the carolina wren.

(side note, my parents lived 15 years in Sun City Center, before they reverse migrated to New Jersey. Don't ask me why, we all are trying to figure that out.)

Here is my Cactus Wren , Curve-billed Thrasher, and Pyrrhuloxia (Mexican Cardinal) house.
These are almost life size Mariachi players, made from 55 gallon drums. The frame work is hollow on the inside. So all my covered nest builders love them. I have a Bluebird box, that is used by the Ash-throated Flycatcher.

img_1169927_0_128b75701b0fc4ae7413237728ae3cdc.jpg

Last edited:
March 8 FOS Rufous Hummingbird, bright male 10 March 9 AM 32 degrees 1.5 inch of snow, had both male and female Rufous, and FOS Broad-tailed female.

Not a birrd watcher, nor very knowledgable about birds, but we get robins, blackbirds, sparrows, finches, and occasionally some type of hawk that rests on our fence post. And cardinals.

Yesterday an Oak Titmouse visited a birdhouse we have up. He went in and checked it out. Very cute. Maybe he will rent it?

Can hear the little guys singing all around today "thweet, thweet, thweet". Most popular is 3 thweets but have heard 2's and 4's too. I seem to recall from last year this particular very distinct Oak Titmouse call, I only heard in the Spring. They seem to have several variations of calls.

Based on your location (Florida), the carolina wren is the wren of choice. The other three commonly seen in winter, sedge wren, winter wren, and marsh wren most likely would be more difficult to see due to their very shy nature.

How high is the bird house off the ground? Moving in the wind is not a good idea. Is there cover close by (bushes, shrubs, small trees)? All will help make the box a home for the carolina wren.

(side note, my parents lived 15 years in Sun City Center, before they reverse migrated to New Jersey. Don't ask me why, we all are trying to figure that out.)

The one wren house I have now is about 12 ft off the ground and mounted on a large limb in an oak tree. I'm thinking of mounting another one directly on the side of a palm tree. When I was a little boy, my dad made wren houses and mounted on top of the clothline posts and we always had birds.

Just make sure there is a bunch of brushy cover nearby. Carolina wrens, love having this protection around their nests. Good luck, let us know when you get visitors.

Just some Magpies, Blue jays and Chikadees around here in Edmonton Alberta. A Northern Flicker landed on the fence the other day. Just started getting back into birds as my life became less stressful, anyway, had my most amazing birdwatching hike ever in Costa Rica last year. Went for a walk up from our cabin and saw 2 Fiery Billed Aracari's, a bunch of Cherrie's Tanagers, a Golden Hooded Tanager, a Blue Crowned Motmot (one of my favorites) Flycatcher's and many small birds I couldn't identify and all the while Toucans calling in the back ground (Keel Billed I believe). Can't wait to go back!

Anyone have birds that regularly sit on the birdbath with their tails well submerged in the water? Almost looks like they're drinking water through their tails.

Yikes, 20 degrees this morning. I took the hummer feeders in last night, brought them back out at 5:30 am. Had 2 male Broad-billed hummers at the same feeder at 6:15. One B-B female is still perched in an Autumn sage next to the house where it is warmer. Another female is trying to get to the snow covered flowers. Looks like they all made it through the night OK.

Anyone have birds that regularly sit on the birdbath with their tails well submerged in the water? Almost looks like they're drinking water through their tails.
I don't think I've seen that. Some do sit in the water for a while before or after taking a splash bath.

Here's our birdbath with a bluebird in it. Note the rocks that keep the bath on it's perch plus the little birds like to stand on them.

ankbjn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom