Private Pilot License (active) 9 10.84%
Professional Pilot 17 20.48%
Pilot of other Aircraft (Sailplane, Ultralight, Hang/Para Glider, etc.) 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

For the pilots
Old 06-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the pilots

The recent post in this thread about finishing up one's pilot's license made me wonder how many on this forum are pilots, once were or plan to be. I know when I worked many coworkers thought learning to fly as a retirement goal so perhaps there are a whole bunch of us.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Put me in the "once was" pilot category. I flew for 8+ years in the military but never did any flying once I left. I did get a private license at the time but never used it.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a commercial rating, so I clicked "professional" even though I've never used it to make a dime. Of the choices, it seemed to fit best.

I also have enough glider time to take the commercial checkride but never got around to it.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
gone traveling

Private with Instrument....
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have a commercial rating, so I clicked "professional" even though I've never used it to make a dime. Of the choices, it seemed to fit best.

I also have enough glider time to take the commercial checkride but never got around to it.
Same here.Used to have an Instructors rating, but never really used it. The insurance was the reason.
As mentioned on some other posts, I flew for Civil Air Patrol and Angel Flight. As a lark, I also flew a MiG-15, and a B-25. I flew a P-51 to celebrate my 80th birthday
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

Private only, got the license in 1975. I had started taking lessons in 1964 with lawn-mowing money but that was on an intermittent basis because my income was too. Flight training was interrupted for about a decade when I discovered cars and girls. I even owned an airplane for a couple of years, a 1956 Piper Tri-Pacer, and made the pilgrimage to Oshkosh in 1976 with it. Pitched a tent under the wing and woke every morning at ~6:00 AM to the music(?) of a 727 at takeoff thrust about 50 yards away.

That one was one of my best vacations ever.

Alas, I could afford a house OR an airplane. But not both.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for including the option, "Not interested in being a pilot". I checked that one.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I wanted to take flying lessons. At that time I could not afford to do that, and now that I am older I don't want to become a pilot any more for some reason. Lack of adventuresome energy due to age, I suppose.

Back in the 1970's and and 1980's, when I was married, my late ex took a lot of flying lessons. He solo'd once when we lived in Virginia, and once again when we lived in San Diego, and took more lessons in Texas once we moved there. He never got his license and seemed to prefer having an instructor in the plane with him. Despite that, he wanted to fly so much, probably more than anybody who has ever lived; it was amazing how much it meant to him. For him it was more of a need of some kind, than a want. So I didn't mind the cost in his case and it was worth every cent. There was no way we could afford for both of us to take flying lessons though.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took some lessons in my late 50s because I wanted the experience but never pursued a license. I might have done more if the economics of piloting my own plane had made any sense to me. I also found it annoying when I had to fly toward the evening sun.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #9

commercial pilot license, multi-engine non center line thrust, Never used it. Like Rewahoo, 99% military, never flew after my 20 years. I have answered the why not the following:

Ever rent a car? Took real good care of it, bent an axle and told Avis so they could charge me. RIGHT, well people treat a rented AC the same.

I became convinced in the AF that you need to fly at least twice a week to become proficient and stay that way. That is at least 8 hours a month, or 96 hours a year at $100 an hour or more! As I really have no place I want to go, and in most cases DW and I can go commercial cheaper, owning an AC and maintaining currency just didn't make since. If I had never done it, I might be willing to make the investment, but an AC is like a boat, it is a hole on the ramp you dump money into.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to fly for a living, hence my username. I haven't flown in about 10 years, but I have a basket-case 1947 Stinson 108-3 sitting in my garage, waiting to be rebuilt. I am single and multi rated commercial, and CFII. I keep the Instructor certificate current just because I don't want to let it lapse, but I would not hire me as an instructor.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
As I really have no place I want to go, and in most cases DW and I can go commercial cheaper, owning an AC and maintaining currency just didn't make since. If I had never done it, I might be willing to make the investment, but an AC is like a boat, it is a hole on the ramp you dump money into.
That was why I decided to fly for Angel Flight, to have a purpose instead of just boring holes in the sky.

If you are flying a complex twin, I can see the need for maintaining proficiency by flying that often. For that reason, I was flying Cessna 172's, a very simple and forgiving airplane.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Had my check ride on my 17th birthday which at the time was the first date that I could get my learners permit for a drivers license. So had my pilot's license before my drivers license. Flew many times from NJ to Florida and the Bahamas in a Piper Warrior or Arrow. Occasionally a Cessna 182. After I opened my business time became limited (kids etc...) and well you know how that goes. Have not been active for about 20 years but still keep the license in my wallet for some reason. It never expires.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

I had some stick time in a UH-60 simulator. Did three years as a UH-60 crew member in a special mission unit. Went in enthusiastic; came out glad to be alive.

One crash in our AO (of many) was a Marine CH-43. IIRC, 19 died in that one. My first time having to smell burnt human bodies. Not the last.

I still fly regularly (commercial, sightseeing, etc), but my early desire to become a pilot was snuffed out promptly.

But, that's just me.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There is a problem with the options...

I put want to learn but no lessons... but I will never have a lesson as the cost is too high for me...

BUT, if I could learn for free I would be doing it right now (well, not this second but you know)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

you should add Sport Pilot and Recreational Pilot to the poll.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was only active for a couple of years with maybe 125 hours total. Flying was impractical with the equipment I had. Still, it was a great challenge and lots of fun while it lasted. As someone suggested, I could own a (real) plane or I could (fill in the blank - be married, have a house, have a decent car, etc.) Several years back and after 35 years away from it, a local flight school offered a free lesson. I shared with them that I actually had a PP ticket. They still gave me the lesson and I could still fly. It was cool. I'd like to try it again though I'd never pass the 3rd class medical at my age and health.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #17

I had a nomination to go to the Air Force Academy but never got the appointment. I was wanting badly to fly, but realized late of the height restrictions, I was 6'5". I still wanted to fly, and skydive, but realized at 21, that I had developed intense motion sickness. My flying is strictly limited to the passenger section of aircraft.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was always interested and shortly after retiring I took an introductory flight at the Fort Meade Flying Activity. But it was clear that in the DC metro area the flight restrictions are so tight that pursuing flight training would be more pain than gain. A friend I worked with flew private planes for many years and even flew at work briefly in the 70s. He never goes up anymore but thoroughly enjoys flying with a group of friends in cyber space using MS Flight Simulator multiplayer. If you want to see a funny introduction to what that is like
Old 06-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

First airplane ride was in 1963 at age 5 in a Stearman biplane. That sealed the deal and ALL I ever talked about was being a pilot. Unlike most 5 -10 year old boys who change their mind almost daily and vacillate between Fireman, Policeman, Army Man, etc. I never shut up about it and even though, I am color blind, I hated math and science classes, was an extremely poor student, and almost flunked out of H.S. - I became a Private Pilot at 19, graduated with an Aeronautics degree at the age of 22 and then picked up all my ratings and licenses and became an Instructor for a few years before I commenced upon a 30 year career as an Airline Pilot.

Qualified as Captain on the Citation Jet, B-727, B-737, B-747-200, B-747-400 .

Wouldn't change a thing and Life has been one Helluva' ride. It feels as though I have never really worked for a living....Which was exactly my "Evil Plan".

Taking some time off for the last 3 years - although I flew a corporate turbo-prop in February and will be traveling soon and re-exploring flying sailplanes again. Nice and quiet, just me and the Birds.

Birdman

P.S. - And "Yes", to the poster questioning if the sound of a 727 powering up was "music". To me it was, and I referred to it as "Rolling Thunder". My 4 year old Son however, would cry and ask " Da-Da!! WHAT is that horrible noise!". All a matter of perspective I guess.
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I was always interested and shortly after retiring I took an introductory flight at the Fort Meade Flying Activity. But it was clear that in the DC metro area the flight restrictions are so tight that pursuing flight training would be more pain than gain. A friend I worked with flew private planes for many years and even flew at work briefly in the 70s. He never goes up anymore but thoroughly enjoys flying with a group of friends in cyber space using MS Flight Simulator multiplayer. If you want to see a funny introduction to what that is like
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote