Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
My last year was a blast, it was empowering to be free enough to call BS every time it arose.
+1
I filed all of the official paperwork for ER one year in advance. I was the lab manager, as well as plant foreman for my last 15 years there. After I filed the paperwork, I didn't give a rats butt about anything concerning the job anymore, and was very open about my thoughts and feeling about how things were being done around there. (I have no idea why the boss disliked me so. )

About 3 months prior to my departure, I turned the lab operations and management over to my fairly incompetent replacement. I remained plant foreman, and moved my office out into the maintenance shop, where I kept a chair warm, drank coffee, read the newspaper, listened to the radio, and occasionally went out with the work crews to lend a hand with their work...some great fellas!

My last year there sped by quickly, even more so the last 3 months of it. And the last week really sped by......of course I left half way thru that week because I'd had all the BS that I could stand! In 5 weeks, it will have been 8 years since that glorious day!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Once I announced that I was retiring, things slowed way down because I was basically bypassed. I went in late, took long lunches and left early. That helped.
I forgot to mention that I also went in late, took long lunches and left early for probably the last 3-4 months. I also was maxed out on the amount of vacation time that they would pay a lump sum for so I took off every other Friday just to stay even with the max amount.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #23

It was all a bit surreal. I knew what was coming, but no one else did. It was exciting but scary, and I had many moments of doubt, regret, guilt, giddiness... pick an emotion. To make matters worse, I had recently allowed myself to be talked into a new role, and was trying my best to play the part of my earlier mover/shaker self. Yet, large parts of my workday were spent reading intranet sites about my pension, stock options, retiree health insurance, etc.

After I finally let my boss in on the plan, we had a "quiet period" for about a month while my replacement was chosen. That was a fairly awkward period, with several visits from SVPs, HR, et al, to find out what was "really" going on and "fix it." After it finally went public, I felt overwhelming relief. All pressure was instantly gone. I cleared my calendar and spent two days answering really nice emails from people I had worked with over 25 years.

I ended up staying on for 4 more months. I worked a special project, helped my replacement get oriented to the new role, and used up my remaining vacation balance the rest of the time. Yeah... surreal is the best word. By the time I finally turned in my badge, it was a non-event. I had already mastered the art of piddling around the house and there was no going back.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My last year was mostly a tough slog, even though my financial plans were in place and I was mentally prepared. The last 2-3 weeks were pretty cool though, as word began leaking that I was departing I was no longer expected to complete all the BS projects and it became clearer who my true friends were in the organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

The last year went by quickly, because, like W2R, I took lots of vacations. I also burned off all but one day of my sick leave to keep the stress levels down. I also did the long lunch thing. Since MegaCorp considers everyone replaceable, I didn't have to worry about a replacement. The two weeks after I gave notice, I had several turnover meetings but very few people showed up. Then this month they laid off everyone with my job title so it didn't really matter.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #26

My last year was very stress-free. I had hit my FI goal 2 years before retiring, but was in a sweet spot at work (programming). When the atmosphere changed, I left.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #27

Same here. I had a 6 month countdown. For the first 3 months I kept my decision to myself. I had a lot less stress but time seemed pretty normal. I was waiting for something to happen that might change my mind. Then I announced my ER to my boss. My employees were reassigned within 3 weeks and I had little to do for the last 3 months. I was in late, long lunch, and left early. Time became excruciatingly slow. I couldn't wait to get out. It was the longest 3 months of my life.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #28

What was supposed to be my last year was pretty boring on a frustrating off shore platform project. I was about to retire when my original Downstream group was very busy and I didn't want to leave my boss in the lurch. I worked a couple of months until things were "normal" and went through the retirement drill. I discovered that if I retired in the middle of the year my income taxes would be astronomic so I decided to make it until Jan 2015. That was painful because I was so ready to go. I put in the motions but didn't have any zest left.

Now I am newly retired and feel much better. I now only have a horrible tax bill coming this year. The difference in taxes will be over a year's living expenses. I'm still not sure if it was worth it or not but it's too late to worry about it now.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once I hit the time I *could* retire, I just waited. I figured I wasn't hating my job *too much*, so more $$ in the bank was a good thing. Once the BS started to pile up, I began to resent the job more and more. One day I simply had enough and went home and discussed it with the DW. The next day, I went to work early and "punched the button"; being in the military, you have to give at least 120 days notice and that's pretty much what I gave them.

Once the retirement was approved, time seemed to slow down *BY A LOT* but my propensity to take crap went to 0. So, the last 3 months weren't too bad at all. I came and went as I pleased and once I had flown my final flight, I became pretty scarce around the office.

Now that I have been retired for a few months, I have noticed that time is going my MUCH, MUCH faster!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had told my management in year (N-1) that Year N would be my last year. At the beginning of year N, they offered a package to a few volunteers as they had to adjust the budget a bit. After a bit of back and forth, I was out of there in the 2nd month of Year N, with a package. So, my last year turned out to be 2 months of running around to get the right people to sign the papers. I still thank the divinities for handing me that bit of luck.
LaVieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #31

Hectic. 100% travel.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm on my last 5 weeks until I go to 1 day a week. I am as busy if not more so than ever. And I'm not sure how well the person taking over for me is doing but it's not my problem. I am losing my patience, really don't want to take any cr*p and can't wait to be done with the 10-11 hour days, week after week. I am hoping 1 10 hour day will be bearable. If not, who knows?

DH doesn't want me to RE but I am done. Just because he worked until 68 doesn't mean we all have to!

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure my senior management suspected I was going to retire a few years before I did since they made things at work extraordinarily "comfortable". They made it hard to retire, but looking back, even with the promotions, significant pay increases and numerous other perks, the last year was miserable for me. I did my job but just wanted out!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Discovering this website, deciding it was time to retire, and then retiring, all took place within a few months of each other ... no perceptible impact on the general flow of time.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #35

One awkward moment was when the boss (who did not yet know my RE plan) told me about an assignment that would "be very visible to upper management and good for my career path". I sweated a bit, but managed to weasel my way out of getting involved.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

My final year was filled with a lot of "lasts" (last year end, last quarterly report, last month end, etc.), which made the time pass by quicker. But, I started at 5 years (when early pension benefits would kick in), slowly watching each retirement milestone being reached. With such a long period, the last year just flew past.

The only galling thing, since I only gave a month's notice, was my newly hired incompetent boss was slowly passing his a lot of his work onto me that last 1-1/2 years. I had to do several one-time tasks (only because I wouldn't be around the following year), which was a slight drag. I did get out of one task when I turned in my one line resignation letter, a small triumph.

It also helped the time go quicker, knowing I could quit at time during the last 6 months and still be good on retiring.

akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
One awkward moment was when the boss (who did not yet know my RE plan) told me about an assignment that would "be very visible to upper management and good for my career path". I sweated a bit, but managed to weasel my way out of getting involved.

How far in advance was this of your fIRE date?