Forbes-"The Rich and The Unfaithful"

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh darn, just when Firecalc says go! to the 3rd decimal place, one finds out about this. :p

Ha

Oh darn, just when Firecalc says go! to the 3rd decimal place, one finds out about this. :p
I think before I made any decisions from this article, just like the "net worth" surveys, I'd have to see an auditor's review. Or at least be asked to participate in the research.

Now I can't wait to see Forbes' next "Top 400" list.

Everybody lies about money & sex, although not necessarily in that order...

Interesting to read that more women than men claimed they were unfaithful...:-*

It is almost embarrasingly conventional to admit that throughout 23 years of marriage, ending in divorce, I was never unfaithful in any sense of the word. Guess we were not rich enough for that!!

Interesting to read that more women than men claimed they were unfaithful...:-*

It is almost embarrasingly conventional to admit that throughout 23 years of marriage, ending in divorce, I was never unfaithful in any sense of the word. Guess we were not rich enough for that!!

It never occurred to be unfaithful or to hide assets or to check up on the other half; too lazy.

There are some new studies out saying that there has been a terrific upsurge in divorces among the senior population of 55 and up. Alot of people now are divorcing in their 60's. Go figure. It's a new day, I guess, and the Boomer generation is leading the way in this new trend, which is good for me as I am single.

I have read of an increasing tendency of couples divorcing as the youngest child graduates high school.

Often people avoid divorce for bad reasons:
- we stay together for the children
- we stay together for our extended family and friends
- we cannot afford to live apart

I am reminded of the joke:
Woman arrives home and announces: Pack your bags Fred, I just won the lottery.
Fred: Wow what should I pack? Where are we going?
Woman: I don't care. Just get out!

Great joke, by the way.
Kinda sad comment on marriage when they leave with the youngest kid. But this has been going on for all the years I have been alive.
Better than during the Depression, tho, when men left to go get the proverbial "pack of cigarettes" and never returned. Or committed suicide, which happened more often than reported during that era.

"Divorce itself is a businessman's biggest deal," Felder says. "He's going to lose half he has."

That's why I say any SWR discussion is splitting hairs. HALF unhappy in thier relationships ... WOW!!

Often people avoid divorce for bad reasons:
- we stay together for the children

They've been listening to all that nonsense peddled by self-styled "Dr. Laura".

I'm reminded of the guy who asks his wife what she wants for her birthday.

She says, "I'd like a divorce".

Her husband replies, "I wasn't planning on spending that much."

"Most men responding to the Prince & Associates survey (75%) said cost is their main obstacle to getting a divorce, and 61.5% said they feared it would hurt business dealings and opportunities. Just 7.7% of men cited harm to the kids."
The Rich And Unfaithful - Forbes.com

*Sigh.* They're not worried about harm to the kids. This disgusts me. Also, the article said 61% of women in these high income marriages said they had affairs for "variety." The richer people get, the more shallow and stupid. Is that the upshot of this article? :rolleyes:

No, it just means that now they can afford to be shallow and stupid...
"I used to have a problem with being shallow & stupid, but now I make enough money to afford it!"

-- Forbes subscriber...

Seriously now, do you really think the amount of money you have makes you more shallow or more stupid or more prone to cheating? Do you believe everything you read?

I think a lot of crap gets published because hey, some writer needs to come up with an interesting headline. And the media is getting a lot of mileage these days out of bashing the economically advantaged - i.e. feeding the masses what they'd prefer to believe.

I've been poor and I am presently not exactly rich, but... Trust me on this: there is a heck of a lot more extra-marital activity among the economically disadvantaged.

Last edited:
Do you believe everything you read?
No, I don't (see below).

Trust me on this: there is a heck of a lot more extra-marital activity among the economically disadvantaged.
Wow, that's quite a sweeping generalization, without any supporting evidence. I for one am not prepared to simply "trust you" on the issue.

Regarding late divorce (in your 60s) - a decision often made when both are relatively active and well, with images of a late life swinger lifestyle, free as birds. Only problem is that those are also the years that bring dependence on others occasionally or permanently, and the best laid plans...

I'm thinking of one couple age 70, mutually agreed to a divorce. He has a stroke 2 years later. She tries to get him back on her health insurance policy, but can't. She cares about him but is involved with another man by then, and he starts getting jealous of all the time she is spending with her poor ex. Boyfriend finally leaves her in frustration. The couple is now a couple again, but no longer married. Kids resent her terribly. He is burning assets waiting to qualify for medicaid, etc. etc. She cries every time his name comes up.

Ugh. I say even if it ain't perfect, do what you can to make it work at that age.

Regarding late divorce (in your 60s) - a decision often made when both are relatively active and well, with images of a late life swinger lifestyle, free as birds. Only problem is that those are also the years that bring dependence on others occasionally or permanently, and the best laid plans...

I'm thinking of one couple age 70, mutually agreed to a divorce. He has a stroke 2 years later. She tries to get him back on her health insurance policy, but can't. She cares about him but is involved with another man by then, and he starts getting jealous of all the time she is spending with her poor ex. Boyfriend finally leaves her in frustration. The couple is now a couple again, but no longer married. Kids resent her terribly. He is burning assets waiting to qualify for medicaid, etc. etc. She cries every time his name comes up.

Ugh. I say even if it ain't perfect, do what you can to make it work at that age.

EEk!! That sounds like an awful situation. I can't imagine why anyone age 70 would make a decision that would mean he had no health insurance beyond Medicare.

I'm befuddled by the reference to a "late life swinger lifestyle", though. When we divorced at 50, I don't think either one of us was considering even a "mid life swinger lifestyle". I really don't think that most who divorce do it to become swingers. Maybe I am just projecting my own attitudes onto others, though! :confused:

The only difference between facing life alone after a divorce, and facing life alone after an entire life single is duration.

In either case, you have to do your best to deal with a situation that you may not have chosen.

I also object to the reference to fantasies of a swinger lifestyle. For one thing, the term is mis-applied. A man who wants entree into swinger events needs to have a woman to offer.

For another, most older men who find themselves divorced did not desire it, but had it thrust on them by a woman who had her own sometimes inscrutable reasons for wanting out.

The people on this board are very cautious. I don't think any of us needs to be reminded that it would be nice to have a dependable, companionable life partner, especially as one gets older.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom