Forget Tesla and Uber , I want one of these

You could at least make the $1000 fully refundable deposit to keep the dream alive.

https://workhorse.com/surefly-reserve#updates

Have to wonder though - what kind of periodic preventive maintenance is required? What if something stops working and needs to be repaired? You can't fly it to a local service center - will you have to pay for a repair person to come to your home? How much will insurance cost for this thing?

Where will you be allowed to fly? Will FAA or local ordinances allow you to just fly in to your own backyard? How about if you want to hop over to the grocery store - will you be allowed to just land in any parking lot you please?

Seems like a very expensive toy which isn't going to be practical or very useful for common folks.

Last edited:
EHANG|Official Site-EHANG 184 autonomous aerial vehicle

This actually already exists, is in testing and fully electric.

Edit: and yes, fully autonomous. Point and click transport.

OOops, never mind - in the context of this thread, I thought it actually carried a passenger. Nope.

[-]Very cool!

But if you want to use it to commute to work, you better be within easy walking distance (0.3 miles round trip)!
The maximum flight distance is 1 kilometer (approximately 0.6 miles) in any direction.
Now that's range anxiety for you. Anyone see a price?[/-] Cool toy though.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Better look at the history of the Moeller Skycar before you put any money down on this newest variation...

Better look at the history of the Moeller Skycar before you put any money down on this newest variation...

Oh yeah!

I actually knew an engineer that worked for them for a while. My only comment was - I hope you get paid weekly, run to the bank to cash the check, and don't accept stock options in lieu of salary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M400_Skycar

images

-ERD50

You could at least make the $1000 fully refundable deposit to keep the dream alive.

https://workhorse.com/surefly-reserve#updates

Have to wonder though - what kind of periodic preventive maintenance is required? What if something stops working and needs to be repaired?You can't fly it to a local service center - will you have to pay for a repair person to come to your home? How much will insurance cost for this thing?

Where will you be allowed to fly? Will FAA or local ordinances allow you to just fly in to your own backyard? How about if you want to hop over to the grocery store - will you be allowed to just land in any parking lot you please?

Seems like a very expensive toy which isn't going to be practical or very useful for common folks.

Maintenance and repair ? Same as existing drones , crate it and send in after the crash :rolleyes:

Where will you be allowed to fly? IIRC, Existing non commercial drones are limited to 400 feet above ground level with restrictions around airports and certain other locations .

I'm sure my neighbors would be loading up their shotgun after the second or third flight over their property :LOL:

It's a ways off, but Uber is very deep in this concept.

It does!

EHANG|Official Site-EHANG 184 autonomous aerial vehicle specs

Flight speed 100 kph, flight time is only 25 mins so it's meant for local traffic hopping.

Ahhh - I see. I had clicked on "FAQ", and all those are for the Ghostdrone.

I see some sites estimating $200,000-$300,000. That would get me to town and back, which is 80% of my trips, but I think I'll pass. Not sure I want to take up a garage space with such a limited vehicle. But for someone of more means, with lots of garage spaces (Jay Leno), it would be a tempting toy.

-ERD50

The problem with these drone-like air vehicles is that they are not even as safe as a helicopter.

In case of an engine failure, a helicopter can still land safely by autorotation if, and that's a big if, the conditions are right.

A drone air vehicle would just auger into the ground.

The problem with these drone-like air vehicles is that they are not even as safe as a helicopter.

In case of an engine failure, a helicopter can still land safely by autorotation if, and that's a big if, the conditions are right.

A drone air vehicle would just auger into the ground.

So the flight profile and performance in a malfunction mode is more predictable than conventional rotorcrft. A selling feature !

Al, the learning curve on that issue is steep , but quickly mastered . Never happens a second time.

I heard that a guy did that and tried to sue the manufacturer. He lost the case because ... he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom