Join Early Retirement Today

Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 03-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frank Lloyd Wright

As a hobbyist woodworker, I love to see his homes. We've visited/toured two of them, one in Pennsylvania (I think it was called Fallingwater?) and the other in Springfield IL.

Have you been through any? Where? Was it worth a look?

I think we'll try to visit more but not make special trips...only if they will be near a place we are going.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #2

I've been to the one in WI and one in AZ. Definately worth it if you are in the area. Probably not a special trip just to see them. My two cents.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #3

Florida Southern College in Lakeland was designed in large part by Wright. They offer architectural tours ... or did before covid. The college is near I-4, between Orlando and Tampa.

The tour was well done but I was not wowed by the architecture. I'm not usually interested in that type of stuff, and we took the tour as a way to fill a few hours between other events. Architecture fans may find it more interesting than we did.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #4

We live near the Fallingwater home, built for the Kaufmann family, a high end department store that is no longer in existence. As an engineer, I marveled at the design and beauty of it, sitting over the flowing stream. As a rental property owner, it is a nightmare, as it requires constant upkeep, as the water attacks the concrete and steel.

There is another FLW property in nearby Dunbar, PA, called Kentuck Knob, but I have never visited it.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Frank Lloyd Wright

We toured Fallingwater a couple of years ago. You are correct in that it is beautiful but the upkeep is a huge problem. The stucco is constantly needing repair and the main living area smells moldy because it has a stream going through it. The flooring in the inside of the house is uneven flagstone that is slippery. You could break your neck living there.
There are a lot of Wright houses in Oak Park, IL. They have house walks but the tours have probably been postponed due to COVID.
Mariez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're ever in Chicago, it's worth visiting Wright's home and studio in Oak Park. The neighborhood has several examples of his early work, including the Unity Temple. Also in Chicago, check out the Robie House.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #7

I've been to Falling Water (and it's nearby lesser known friend, Kentuck Knob) in Southwest PA. I've also been to the Robie House in Chicago and visited his home/studio in Oak Park, IL. This summer, Covid permitting, I hope to get up to Buffalo, NY to visit The Martin House.

I enjoy his work a great deal.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #8

I have visited 3 FLW homes in SW PA (Falling Water (twice), Kentuck Knob, and the Duncan House), plus one of his earlier works, the Meyer May House located in Grand Rapids, MI (restored and owned by Steelcase Corp.)

As I toured these homes, it was interesting to see the architecture and design aspects and learn about FLW, who was quite a character.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Lewis Clark. As I'm not far away, I'll check it out some day.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenK View Post
If you're ever in Chicago, it's worth visiting Wright's home and studio in Oak Park. The neighborhood has several examples of his early work, including the Unity Temple. Also in Chicago, check out the Robie House.
This was a great tour and stroll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_...ome_and_Studio

She's been to Fallingwater a couple of times too.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

He also designed Beth Sholom Congregation, outside NW Philadelphia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_S...,_Pennsylvania)

"Completed in 1959, it has been called a "startling, translucent, modernist evocation of an ancient temple, transposed to a Philadelphia suburb by Frank Lloyd Wright."
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #11

I've been to Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob and the Martin House.

Honestly, I liked Kentuck Knob the best in that I could actually see owning it and enjoying it. The setting was superb.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
Administrator

Wikipedia has a sortable list of all Frank Lloyd Wright works, so you can see which ones are near you or places you might travel to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_Wright_works

I only know this because I wanted to look up the house in "A Summer Place", which we watched last week.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wikipedia has a sortable list of all Frank Lloyd Wright works, so you can see which ones are near you or places you might travel to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_Wright_works

I only know this because I wanted to look up the house in "A Summer Place", which we watched last week.
Thanks for the reminder. I am about to walk to w*rk; I think I will choose the route that takes me past one of these FLW homes.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ken Burns did an interesting bio of Wright as part of his “American Lives” series. PBS Passport has it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #15

When I was a kid, we studied U.S. government in 5th grade and a standard field trip was a tour of the Marin County Civic Center, which was designed by Wright. It was one of his last designs and was constructed after his death. I remember learning about how the arches echo the shapes of the surrounding hills, and the roof is the color of the sky in summer. There are a lot of open atria and skylights so it's light and airy inside -- very different from other civic center type buildings I've seen.

It's worth a visit if you're in the area, and since it's a public building, it's pretty accessible in non-Covid times.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

An interesting feature of the FLW Community Christian Church in KC is it’s light spire. Technology didn’t support the idea in the forties when it was designed but it was finally implemented in the mid 90’s. It shines something like 3 miles high. Always a highlight of the holiday lighting ceremony on the nearby CC Plaza.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

Come spend the night in FLW's only skyscraper! We did a few years ago. It was kind of cool. Not much else in Bartlesville, Oklahoma - so you might want to do it on your way somewhere else.

https://www.pricetower.org/
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #18

"Falling Water" is an ironic name, since a lot of Wright's buildings were known for leaky roofs. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/roofing...use-wrong-roof

The Johnson family of Johnson Wax fame hired Wright to build the company's corporate headquarters and the Johnson mansion, known as Wingspread, at Racine, Wis. I believe both are open for tours. Of course there's also Wright's home/studio at Spring Green, Wis., Taliesin.

The Spring Green estate was the site of a notorious mass ax murder in 1914 -- among the seven victims was Wright's mistress.

At Mirror Lake State Park near Wisconsin Dells, you can rent a cabin designed by Wright. It's called the Seth Peterson cottage. The waiting list is lengthy.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
"Falling Water" is an ironic name, since a lot of Wright's buildings were known for leaky roofs. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/roofing...use-wrong-roof

The Johnson family of Johnson Wax fame hired Wright to build the company's corporate headquarters and the Johnson mansion, known as Wingspread, at Racine, Wis. I believe both are open for tours. Of course there's also Wright's home/studio at Spring Green, Wis., Taliesin.

The Spring Green estate was the site of a notorious mass ax murder in 1914 -- among the seven victims was Wright's mistress.

At Mirror Lake State Park near Wisconsin Dells, you can rent a cabin designed by Wright. It's called the Seth Peterson cottage. The waiting list is lengthy.
I worked at the Johnson headquarters when they were still using the 3 legged chairs, designed by Wright to keep people in a 'working' position. You become unsteady and might fall if your legs are crossed.

I am not sure what they explain during the tour. I had an uncle who taught architecture and was a big fan of FLW. He provided an amazing private tour of the building telling me the finer points. As with any architecture tour, I would suggest you read up on FLW goals for his design. It will make the tour more meaningful.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I did not know that! I will have to check it out.