Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

French train travels 357mph
Old 04-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

French train travels 357mph

The new French bullet train was clocked at 357 mph. That means we could travel by train from NY to Chicago in two hours. ---- that will teach the airlines. I wish we had an infrastructure that would sustain train travel like the European system.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: French train travels 357mph
Old 04-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
The new French bullet train was clocked at 357 mph. That means we could travel by train from NY to Chicago in two hours. ---- that will teach the airlines. I wish we had an infrastructure that would sustain train travel like the European system.
I think the first priority should be braking systems!

I wonder how they know the tracks are safe. Engineers don't get much reaction time at over 500 fps.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Me too. I really enjoyed backpacking through Europe because I could get to all major cities by train, and many of them had subways or above-ground rail systems for public transport, in addition to the lesser used but still efficient and helpful bus systems.

Occasionally it frustrates me that I have to drive everywhere here, but then I'm thankful that I drive very little as a whole and my commute is, at the longest, 2.5 miles, and at the shortest, fall out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
I wish we had an infrastructure that would sustain train travel like the European system.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our AMTRAK train system could use an upgrade. We rode on one from Anaheim to San Juan Capistrano a few years ago. It was an effective way to travel, but it probably only did about 60 mph.

I believe we have not developed that type of transportation because of (relatively) low cost gas (compared to Europe). Plus, we have a very good interstate highway system.... Americans are in love with automobiles.

I would like to se an alternative to airline travel also. High speed rail seems like a good idea. I have read that one impediment is the cost of laying down new rail systems that can accomodate trains at that speed. Apparently that is the huge expenditure. The actual trains are not cheap either. I can can imagine that a high speed system like that probably require rigorous maintenance and Q/A.

If we wind up with gas prices around $5/gallon... I would expect that we will begin developing rail systems.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What's the current state of Amtrak? Wasn't it losing money despite heavy government subsidies?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #6

"...new French bullet train was clocked at 357 mph..."

Where were they retreating to?

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #7

Exactly the problem. What incentive does the company have to improve it's internal processes and cost structures when they know they're losing money and the government will always bail them out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What's the current state of Amtrak? Wasn't it losing money despite heavy government subsidies?
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

So true, See what happens when the government gets involved. And we want them to handle our health care (think VA hospitals)--- not me.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rode a German one last summer at 450 kmh, which is about 270mph. Wow. We sure got places in a hurry. The only issue was when you go into a tunnel it makes your ears pound initially from the air pressure -- I guess the train is like a big piston moving through a cylinder and compressing the air in front of it? The European technology is safe enough for me... Amtrak tracks are the ones I worry about -- we now have trains in the Northeast Corridor that could do these 200mph+ speeds, but the tracks will never handle it.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
Exactly the problem. What incentive does the company have to improve it's internal processes and cost structures when they know they're losing money and the government will always bail them out?
AFAIK the European train systems are subsudized far, far more than AMTRAK
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
AFAIK the European train systems are subsudized far, far more than AMTRAK

Very much so... they are considered part of public transportation...

One of the problems with trains in the US is the long distances.. yes, a NY to Boston or other short hauls (Dallas to Houston here) would be something that would make sense... but a lot of the trains in London was to get workers to London in the morning and back home in the evening.. same as the trains in NY... to work and then home..

SO, if you want to make them part of the commute system... subsidize...

Another thing to remember.... there is not competition on these trips... for flying you can take one of many airlines... for trains.. you take the one and only 'company' that runs that route.. Germany has ICE, Switzerland has their own etc...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Yes, to the tune of $500-$600 MILLION a YEAR................ :P :P :P

It's one of those budget items that Congress won't get rid of.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Yes, to the tune of $500-$600 MILLION a YEAR................ :P :P :P

It's one of those budget items that Congress won't get rid of.......
I noticed that it is very bipartisan, both the Democrats and the Republicans won't get rid of it.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Business Week published a followup article.

Apparently it was more of a publicity stunt than a sustainable engineering achievement or a business plan. Siemens didn't hestitate to talk trash: "The overhead electrical lines and a large part of the train's propulsion system 'can for all intents and purposes be junked' after a trip like Tuesday's, an engineer at the German train manufacturer Siemens claims."

Watch out for those crosswinds & narrow tunnels!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Business Week published a followup article.

Apparently it was more of a publicity stunt than a sustainable engineering achievement or a business plan. Siemens didn't hestitate to talk trash: "The overhead electrical lines and a large part of the train's propulsion system 'can for all intents and purposes be junked' after a trip like Tuesday's, an engineer at the German train manufacturer Siemens claims."

Watch out for those crosswinds & narrow tunnels!
Sounds like sour grapes coming from the Germans...

How much do car makers put into those concept cars that will never see the light of day... all publicity stunts... but that publicity stunt might be the real deal in a decade or so..

PS... the Condord was a publicity stunt also... even its whole life of service..
Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

PS... the Condord was a publicity stunt also... even its whole life of service..
Anybody ever get to ride one? That was one thing my fast lane lifestyle never got fast enough to do. I understand the whole thing was very cramped, though -- they weren't selling legroom in the Concorde.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Anybody ever get to ride one? That was one thing my fast lane lifestyle never got fast enough to do. I understand the whole thing was very cramped, though -- they weren't selling legroom in the Concorde.
No, they were selling SPEED.....

Quick story that shows how fast... Way back when.. I was watching Wimbeldon. John McEnroy was playing... the match just started. They then mentioned about him taking the Concord back to NY... that his parents were already ON a plane and he would BEAT them there.. so, he had to finish (win) the tournament, get dressed, get to the airport and STILL beat the other plane..

And how people can spend megas money... we were doing a deal with a French bank.. they took the Concord over in the morning to sign the papers and took it back that evening... I think it was $13K each way, or $20K more than business class.. I believe 5 people came over... but, they were the executives and maybe it was worth the $100K..
Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #18

I hope they didn't stick your bank with the bill! Yikes. Those were the good old days. Now they'd probably take their own Gulfstream V or something -- who knows, Concorde might have been a better deal in comparison.