Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
The husband of the friend of my wife literally ate his inheritance. The guy got about $120k when Mom passed away, and in 1 year or so - it was gone, because he ate and ate at expensive restaurants everyday.
Wow.

But there is an upside, If he routinely eats that much, he’ll die soon and his savings to life expectancy ratio will balance. Funny how works out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BRother in law still working at 70. So is his spouse.

He cannot afford to retire. Years and years of ongoing consumer debt and a large mortgage payment. Two cars of course. Always concerned about what up their neighbours, relatives, and church friends will say and think.

They could have been nicely retired years ago if they had smartened up, lived a little below their means, said 'no' more often to their adult children, and saved just a little. Have another SIL in the same boat...essentially homeless at 70.

Consumer debt and the economy is such where we live that my spouses church is now putting on money management and budgeting courses. NOthing to do with investment but simply the basic rules of income and expense math that most people on this forum mastered in their early 20 or late 20's. They are doing it the smart way by bringing in professionals in the field.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #143
Confused about dryer sheets

x
jelly bean counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
DW suggests I tell people I am a private money manager, when asked.....
I already (still working, 2018 - 2019 exit planned) refer to my 'second job' of running "My Name, Inc." - investments and real estate, which can take up some time. It is often a daily activity, sometimes I'm on two phone calls at the same time, with issues at two diff properties, while reading an estimate for work at another on email, and trying to give out Halloween candy, while still standing - in my living room, still in my suit from the day job. Yeah, I'm ready to just say: I have my own business. Or: I'm consulting/a consultant. I happen to be advising myself.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #145

I plan to say I’m taking a sabbatical, one that happens to never end.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
They are doing it the smart way by bringing in professionals in the field.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #147
Dryer sheet aficionado

We would like to find friends in their late 40s early 50s like us (still with fairly young kids) that are FI and are either semi or totally retired. Its basically impossible. Most people are broke and even the ones that appear to have money and live like us need their large paychecks every two weeks.
RAchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

I have a good friend who retired after working 40 years for the state. He is on the "Golden" pension plan that has not been available to new people since the mid 1970's. His wife, who has worked over 35 years for the state, is on a lesser but still decent plan from the state. Neither is on the hybrid plan that came about in the 90's as part of pension reform (Obviously, I don't live in Illinois. )

He inherited about $300,000 in farmland from his parents.

I don't know what their income is but I doubt it is less than a penny under 100K.

They are both seeking part-time work to help pay for their expenses. New house, new car, upgrades and repairs to their boat, etc. etc. etc.

To each his or her own.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
His wife, who has worked over 35 years for the state, is on a lesser but still descent plan from the state.
In a descending pension, I suppose payments gradually decline (the opposite of an 'indexed' pension with COLA)?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAchip View Post
We would like to find friends in their late 40s early 50s like us (still with fairly young kids) that are FI and are either semi or totally retired. Its basically impossible. Most people are broke and even the ones that appear to have money and live like us need their large paychecks every two weeks.
I doubt many with younger kids would RE, even if they would w/o.

Too many possible unplanned expenses.

I'm in your age range, and RE not really by choice, but at least my youngest is off to college this fall, hopefully mostly paid for by Uncle Sam.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
In a descending pension, I suppose payments gradually decline (the opposite of an 'indexed' pension with COLA)?
Well, that would be true if inflation gets out of control.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have corrected the errors.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
It's not always about the money
Old 01-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #152

It's not always about the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

I doubt many with younger kids would RE, even if they would w/o.
I have a friend at w*rk, 57 years old and a very competent investor (NW north of 10 mil). He is staying on a couple more years as an example of positive work ethic for his two teenage children.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I have a friend at w*rk, 57 years old and a very competent investor (NW north of 10 mil). He is staying on a couple more years as an example of positive work ethic for his two teenage children.
That just blows my mind.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I would think that retiring early (and being able to do so) would be just as good an example.

I know that when my Dad was demoted in his late 50s and decided to cut loose and try another career because he and Mom had the savings and could take the risk, it really made an impression on me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Well, that would be true if inflation gets out of control.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have corrected the errors.
Well done. No point in taking any of this stuff too seriously!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #156
Full time employment: Posting here.

I share finances with friends. Ask for and give advice (when asked).

My SO is a bit more fancy but I am into casual clothes and doing cheap things. Fancy people tend to not like doing cheap things and people who enjoy intellectual conversations on complex topics tend to earn decent income; put those two together and it usually works out.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I would think that retiring early (and being able to do so) would be just as good an example.
Absolutely. That's the message I have been (hopefully) instilling in my kids.

Plus, after instruction and example, I feel I have satisfied my parental obligations in this area. At this point, I don't think continuing to work is going to change their behavior.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I snicker to myself when I hear the 'poor me' or the 'your so lucky' noise from folks who simply made bad financial decisions or ate themselves into poor health, diabetes etc.

Just more instances of people trying to blame others for their self inflicted problems.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #159

Quote:
I snicker to myself when I hear the 'poor me' or the 'your so lucky' noise from folks
This struck a chord with me. Some time ago DW ran into an acquaintance she had not seen in quite a while. The person gushed, You and your husband were always so lucky".
My wife looked at her and said, My husband died 5 years ago". The woman paled, turned around and walked away.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I snicker to myself when I hear the 'poor me' or the 'your so lucky' noise from folks who simply made bad financial decisions or ate themselves into poor health, diabetes etc.

Just more instances of people trying to blame others for their self inflicted problems.
I'm usually too shocked by their stupidity at saying such a thing, and have trouble replying as it would probably be pretty rude.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote