Friends or Financial Independance?

Laurence said:
DW and I hold an annual X-mas party at our house,  it started when the company I worked for at the time cancelled the much beloved company party due to budget cuts.  We provide all the food, home made turkey, stuffing, honey baked ham, all the trimmings, a dozen deserts, and a full open bar, and we have a gift exchange to boot.  It's awesome to see all our friends from different walks of life come together for this event, and each year the crowd gets bigger (last year was 60 people, and I'm already getting asked about this year!).  Friends do add so much to life.

Damn, that sounds great! I recall many years ago (while I was In the
middle of my divorce) I visited the area where we used to live.
Some of my friends were at a holiday party. When they found out I was
in town, they left and joined me at a local "upscale" restaurant. Think we
ended up with about 10 people. Anyway, I had such a good time, I told them
to just give me the bill. Some of the guests wouldn't hear of it. They passed
me some cash to assist. Well, when I saw the bill, it was nice to have some help. Bottom line...............I was having a tough time and having all these
people gather round was pretty nice.

JG

Most of the people you socialize with at work are people you would not choose would you have had to in the first place (especially if you hired them for work they show orthogonal qualities to what you would expect from friends, e.g. workhoolic & addicted with limited other interests in life, annoying @ will, etc.) They are 7 billion people out there. Think of finding the right ones for you as a nice hunt in the human jungle.
An interesting challenge for ERees.
Patrice.

poyet said:
Most of the people you socialize with at work are people you would not choose would you have had to in the first place (especially if you hired them for work they show orthogonal qualities to what you would expect from friends, e.g. workhoolic & addicted with limited other interests in life, annoying @ will, etc.) They are 7 billion people out there. Think of finding the right ones for you as a nice hunt in the human jungle.
An interesting challenge for ERees.
Patrice.

A "challenge" indeed. Throw in a couple of moves and maybe a divorce
and it gets really tricky. I have an advantage as I am quite gregarious
and hypersocial. DW has a harder time. For example, she reminds me that when we married, she moved here (from Michigan). She was born and lived
her whole life in lower Michigan and left all of her immediate family behind.
I never thought much about it, but can see now it was a big move for her.
Still glad we did it though.

JG

I am pretty much a homebody also. I do like to travel. I have made several friends with people that I am active with at church. I have found that people really open up and become good friends when you are in smaller classes such as Sunday School or Disciple classes. Also, I have really been able to know some that went on the work trip and fun trip to the beach for the youth and church retreats.

Dreamer

Marmiteman,

Bridget and I are in the same cohort.

Frankly, it looks as if retirement may mean a lot of separation anxiety for you and your spouse. I think you need to talk this out more with your spouse--a lot more. Plan your path. Check out where you might like to go. Spend some time there.

My mother was very unhappy for many years after leaving her friends. Be honest with yourself and make sure you are on the same wavelength as your wife. You may wind up returning to where you started after an expensive round trip.

Good luck,

Ed

Back
Top Bottom