Join Early Retirement Today

Ft. Collins
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ft. Collins

Planning to retire and relocate to Ft. Collins, CO this summer. But I am a little spooked about the winter experience this year. Any folks living there that can share their thoughts?
Jake46
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ft. Collins
Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I visited FC in winter 2yrs ago. The winter is no bad at all - it is covered on the west by mountains and they don't as much snow as a result. Also it is warm in winter and my friends say the snow does not stick for more than a day or two. Heard good things as long as you can handle the smell on the drive from denver. (there are a couple of feedlots close by and if the wind direction is right you can smell them )

-h
Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My friend runs a property management company there and loves it. Its a university town but it not a huge city.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We recently moved to Colorado Springs from San Diego, and I have to say, it hasn't been as difficult to get used to the change as I thought it would be. I grew up in Ohio, though, so winter isn't a new experience.

What I hear from the people who have lived here a long time is that winters in CO always used to be like this, but for the last 6-10 years have been much more mild due to drought. The great thing about winter in CO is that unlike the midwest, it's still sunny most days and beautiful blue skies. For me, that goes a long way toward making up for the cold. As long as I'm dressed right, I haven't minded it much. The bad thing is that they're terrible about clearing the streets, at least in Colorado Springs, so it can be difficult to get out right after it snows. But if you're retired, that's probably not as big a concern anyway.

We're definitely keeping CO on the list of possible places to retire to, and I remember that Fort Collins was on someone's list recently of top small cities to live in.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the information. I feel better now. Headed there in June.
Jake46
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Colorado is a very friendly, happy place, and you will like it, despite the shitty winter. After moving back to CO after about 20 years in the midwest, my memory of the weather was a little distorted. But I do remember that winters 20 years ago were different. Rarely was there a below zero day in the Denver area. Also, the snowstorms were followed by sunny skies that melted the snow. Nothing like this mess we have right now.

Also, in the summer, 20 years ago you did not need air conditioning. I had a house back then with sky lights you could open to let the heat escape and a window unit in the bedroom that we never used. The first summer here, after moving back, was really unbearable in a rented apt with no air conditioning. That was one of the first items on my list when searching for a place to buy. The following two summers have also been very hot in June-July. So be forewarned!

But from Ft Collins you can easily go up to the mountains and get cool. The Red Feather Lakes area is really nice.

Good luck!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are heading to Denver & environs toorrow for a week-long visit with family. Gtta admit, every time I go the thought of moving crosses my mind...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have property west of Pueblo and plan to RE there. Beautiful country
Old 02-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do they have a 5% income tax in CO? That always gave me pause....

But a beautiful state. We always enjoy visiting.

Audrey
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Do they have a 5% income tax in CO? That always gave me pause....

But a beautiful state. We always enjoy visiting.

Audrey
Nah, only 4.63%

Jake, I've been down the road from Ft. Collins in Colorado Springs for over 25 years and this has been by far the worst winter for snow I remember. My golf course has been closed for two months because of snow on the ground, and nobody there remembers the last time that happened.

The good news is that it should be a good year for water, finally, after several years of drought.

Coach
Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46
Planning to retire and relocate to Ft. Collins, CO this summer. But I am a little spooked about the winter experience this year. Any folks living there that can share their thoughts?
Jake46
I've lived in Fort Collins for 28 years after growing up in the Midwest. It's still a college town, although it's growing into more of a high-tech center with companies such as Intel, AMD, and HP having a major presence. With all the farms and ranches outside of town, there is a really interesting blend of cultures. The biggest problem is that growth and traffic are becoming serious issues, with slow-and-go traffic on I-25 to Denver becoming more commonplace.

Regarding weather, it is truly a 4-season climate. But compared to the Midwest, it is generally milder and sunnier. In my time here we've had two really difficult winters, and this year was one of them. But my first year here (1979-80) was worse, when we had 10 FEET of snow. The climate is very dry compared to anywhere in the East or Northwest. You have to drink a lot of water, and your lawn will shrivel up in a matter of days if you don't irrigate in the summer. Altitude is a bit of a problem when you first arrive if you do hard physical activities. Summers are hot (90's) during the day but with low humidity.

I'm an avid bicyclist, and I can usually go pedaling every month. This year is an exception with all the snow and cold. Lots of nice bicycling trails throughout the city. Not a lot of really nice restaurants or cultural activities in town. Denver (an hour or so away) offers more in those areas.

Rocky Mountain National Park (1 hour away) is the favorite recreational activity. Plenty of hiking, snowshoeing, and backpacking. There are water sports in Horsetooth Reservoir and Boyd Lake minutes from town. If you swim or ski, the water is frigid except July and August. Good skiing is about 2 hours away, and sometimes a lot longer on busy ski days.

BTW, my parents and sister moved here after visiting a few times.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sound Pounder
Thanks for the insights. I'm getting really excited. Seeking four seasons and wanting to leave high humidity, hurricanes & fire ants (Houston). We're hoping to find an older home near downtown that we can removate.
Jake46
Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46
Sound Pounder
Thanks for the insights. I'm getting really excited. Seeking four seasons and wanting to leave high humidity, hurricanes & fire ants (Houston). We're hoping to find an older home near downtown that we can removate.
Jake46
In the downtown area there are a lot of solid, older houses you can renovate. Nearby Old Town is very nice, fun for shopping, eating, or just hanging out in the warmer months.

No hurricanes, no fire ants, no killer bees, and virtually no humidity. Just ticks and rattlers (in the foothills) and an occasional blizzard or hail storm.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
We are heading to Denver & environs toorrow for a week-long visit with family. Gtta admit, every time I go the thought of moving crosses my mind...
Yeah, it's the only other state in the lower 48 that could tempt me from CA ( Hawaii is still a dream...).
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been out here for almost 18 years, and this is the only winter where snow has stayed on the ground for 2 months straight.

The longest I have ever seen before was maybe 2 weeks, it's usually gone the next day because of the incredibly strong sun we get.

You get so used to the sunshine that when it doesn't show up for a couple of days like lately, you start going through withdrawal.

On the downside, I think I heard that we are the skin cancer capital of America.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pounder
I've lived in Fort Collins for 28 years after growing up in the Midwest. It's still a college town, although it's growing into more of a high-tech center with companies such as Intel, AMD, and HP having a major presence. With all the farms and ranches outside of town, there is a really interesting blend of cultures. The biggest problem is that growth and traffic are becoming serious issues, with slow-and-go traffic on I-25 to Denver becoming more commonplace.

Regarding weather, it is truly a 4-season climate. But compared to the Midwest, it is generally milder and sunnier. In my time here we've had two really difficult winters, and this year was one of them. But my first year here (1979-80) was worse, when we had 10 FEET of snow. The climate is very dry compared to anywhere in the East or Northwest. You have to drink a lot of water, and your lawn will shrivel up in a matter of days if you don't irrigate in the summer. Altitude is a bit of a problem when you first arrive if you do hard physical activities. Summers are hot (90's) during the day but with low humidity.

I'm an avid bicyclist, and I can usually go pedaling every month. This year is an exception with all the snow and cold. Lots of nice bicycling trails throughout the city. Not a lot of really nice restaurants or cultural activities in town. Denver (an hour or so away) offers more in those areas.

Rocky Mountain National Park (1 hour away) is the favorite recreational activity. Plenty of hiking, snowshoeing, and backpacking. There are water sports in Horsetooth Reservoir and Boyd Lake minutes from town. If you swim or ski, the water is frigid except July and August. Good skiing is about 2 hours away, and sometimes a lot longer on busy ski days.

BTW, my parents and sister moved here after visiting a few times.
Hey, I used to ride with the Spring Creek guys. Are you riding with them?
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm
Hey, I used to ride the Spring Creek guys. Are you riding with them?
"Spring Creek guys"? Never heard of them. I usually ride by myself or with a few friends. There is a Spring Creek Bike Trail in town, maybe that's what they're named after.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Pounder
"Spring Creek guys"? Never heard of them. I usually ride by myself or with a few friends. There is a Spring Creek Bike Trail in town, maybe that's what they're named after.
Never mind. It was called the Spring Creek Velo Club which was really into racing. Shortly before I left, I think they merged with the FC Cycling Club which was more into centuries and touring.

Yeah, the Spring Creek Trail is really nice. I can ride from the south of town by the HP plant to Old Town to run errands and even get a beer, and the entire trip is tree-lined streets, wide bike lanes, and dedicated bike trails. At no time do you feel like you're taking your life in your hands. It also makes a great wind-down ride after a hard hammering session with the Colorado State kids.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote