Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sub 250 drone photography is relatively unregulated and a few hundred. DJI Mini 2 is gold standard

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMmnVTa...d=p8d0rgit8ux6
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #42

I have a couple of hobbies that can be expensive but can also be very inexpensive. Photography has already been discussed so I won't do that again. But if I ever win the lottery there's a $7k Nikon DSLR that I'd love to enjoy.... Oh, and the lenses are extra. Definitely not cheap.

Radio control models is another one. I've been flying R/C airplanes off & on (mostly on) for several decades. If airplanes aren't for you, there are of course R/C cars, trucks, boats, ships, submarines (yes they submerge and fire torpedoes) heavy construction equipment, and about any other mobile "thing" you can think of. If it moves, someone has built an R/C model of it. Many of them are museum-quality replicas that do more than just look pretty.

As with most hobbies there is no upper limit to what one can spend, but the lower limit is pretty cheap. Value Hobby sells an airplane radio transmitter and receiver for $28, the electronic speed control is as low as $5 there or at Hobby King or Amazon, and I've bought servos by the bag for as little as $3 each. Add in a dollar or two's worth of Dollar Store foam, some glue, and your own design or one found online and you're in business for under $100. And that's buying all new stuff, of course it's all cheaper used, but of course you have to do the scrounging. I don't have the patience for that.

At the other extreme is a quarter-scale Boeing 747 with turbine engines that start at $3k+. Each. And you haven't even started building the airplane yet. That kind of model is way over my budget (and skills) but they're neat to see.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

traveling in our motor home; general aviation; amateur radio. <sigh>
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cycling is my favorite. You can go cheap, expensive, or in between. I also just returned to drawing using an iPad mini, an Apple Pencil, and Procreate software.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
I like to draw and started using a free program, Sketchbook, for the iPad. The iPad and pencil were not inexpensive, but no ongoing cost (until I wear out the pencil tip at some point).
I just discovered Procreate and am impressed. James Julierís tutorials on YouTube are an excellent introduction.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #46

I'm a dog lover. I put a lot of effort into training my dogs in performance skills such as agility and obedience. A lot of areas have nonprofit dog-training clubs where members get instruction from each other. It can be a rewarding hobby and an inexpensive one ... or as expensive as your bankroll will allow.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

A few

Hiking: I hike at least five miles per day to take the edge off my border heeler.

Roasting coffee: I did this professionally for five years. Now itís a hobby with inexpensive equipment costs. I save money on every pound I roast.

Brewing beer and making wine. Same savings over buying product.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Cycling is my favorite. You can go cheap, expensive, or in between. I also just returned to drawing using an iPad mini, an Apple Pencil, and Procreate software.
I'm not an avid cyclist despite my avatar, but I do get out at least 3 times a week for 8 to 10 miles or so. I'm using my 2006 model Giant hybrid. Heavy as bricks, but who cares? I'm not racing. It cost about $450 at the time and I've done my own maintenance since, including a few new cables, brake pads, and multiple tires and tubes. No bearings or cassettes: I'd probably opt for something new when that time comes.

When I bought it, I was chatting to the guys there and for some reason they started discussing people with bike gear addictions. They pointed out a computer ($500) and these really high end carbon fiber wheels (thousands) that were lined up in the corner. They said a guy comes in every few weeks for new gadgets, and these are the ones he's ready to pick up this time. They seemed pretty excited. I got the feeling he kept the little shop in business.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:45 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Birding apps I have and like:
eBird
Merlin Bird ID
Audubon
Smart Bird ID
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

After having to put most of my hobbies on hold, I've started to enjoy baking and making pasta as a hobby, and I'm also learning how to cook my favorite Asian dishes. My goal is to someday be able to make hand-tossed Asian noodles. (My DW has always been the chef; but as long as I keep the kitchen clean, she's happy to let me use her stuff.)

Making music is one hobby I've been able to maintain at home. Once you own the instruments, the rest is free. (I can't wait to get my shots in early April so that I can get together with my friends to jam!)
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My hobbies at home include urban homesteading, yoga, reading, health and nutrition research, cooking and going for walks. Outside the home we usually have memberships most years in 2 - 3 senior clubs, go hiking, take day trips, go out dancing with friends, wine tasting, and attend the theater and concerts.

Most years, well at least non-pandemic ones, I spend about $500 - $1K on membership passes and subscriptions for parks, the local zoo, theater groups, wineries, museums, seat filler tickets, gardens, etc. and then a lot of what we do monthly is free or cheap. Plus the local library usually has free passes for around 50 different cultural activities. I also follow many bands, parks, theater groups, college theater and music departments, wineries, etc. on social media and they often have announcements for free concerts, discounted or free preview plays or other kinds of specials.

Many museums, gardens and historic have reciprocal membership agreements so if you buy an annual membership in one you get in all the partner organizations for free. U.C. Berkeley Garden has an annual pass for $150 for two that has membership in the American Horticultural Society (330+ gardens), plus North American Reciprocal Museum Association (NARM) and the Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums (ROAM) offering free admission and benefits at over 670 participating US and Canadian museums."

https://botanicalgarden.berkeley.edu/join

We dropped out due to other priorities, but we have a local gold panning group that is free to join and has their own claims so members can pan and camp for free, too.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Back into golf again. (playing pretty well too)

Gave up on restoring classic cars: too hard on my body @77 and too $$$$).

My dog thinks my main hobby is looking after every whim of his. LOL!
Old 03-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
My hobby is competitive cycling. The last bike I bought two years ago was a very lightly used and never raced full suspension mountain bike for $3,500. Generally get a new bike every other year.

On going expenses are wear parts; tires, chains, brake pads and bearings. Spending about $100 a month.

And come Spring and Summer race entry fees tack on another couple hundred a month.

All in I figure I spend around $3-4k a year riding and racing bicycles.

This is far less than I think lovely wife spends on sewing and quilting. Sewing machines are very expensive .... I think!
Haha - and I'm sure she gets a new one every other year!
reneeh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Back into golf again. (playing pretty well too)

Gave up on restoring classic cars: too hard on my body @77 and too $$$$).

My dog thinks my main hobby is looking after every whim of his. LOL!
I work on old cars as my hobby. While it can be expensive, I actually make money when I sell a vehicle. Of course my labor is less than min wage. But I also get to have fun driving the vehicle for a while.
So it can be costly during the process, however those funds are recovered later. Let's not add in the tools cost or detached garage costs, LOL. Agree that it can be hard work at times. For sure if you can't do work yourself, old cars are a very expensive hobby.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:13 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
One of my hobbies is genealogy. I thoroughly enjoy a rainy or cold afternoon researching on ancestry.com and building my tree. Membership is about $340 a year. I consider it a bargain for the fun I get out of it. There are free sites, too, of course but ancestry has the most going for it.
We spend about $500-1,000 each year to maintain Ancestry's World Explorer and invest in additional DNA tests. We use 4-5 research sites, and most of those are low cost, or entirely free.

The real work is gathering tangible proof for your tree or another you may be working on. Since most online family trees have errors the hobby can lead to frustration. But you can certainly spend a lot of time on the hobby.

We use open source GRAMPS software for the private tree, and do not publish much to the online sites since they are just monetizing your research and photos to others.

Together we just authored a 4-page article for a genealogical society. So there's a new twist that makes for an interesting week or two.

The inherited DNA part of genealogy is also quite interesting, and a real challenge to understand (which I don't mind).
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Grandkids, if U have them and they're nearby.
Nothing compares!
NameTaken2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameTaken2 View Post
Nothing compares!
Grandkids are great but in my experience not "inexpensive"
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:28 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameTaken2 View Post
Nothing compares!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My thought exactly.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Ha ha. We're childless, so I can't comment today. I just have memories of my rascal of a grandfather. What a guy.

He would take me to the Cubs games and warn me that I was 7 years old (free admittance at the time). One time, at the gate, he was getting gruff, and I remember saying "But Grandpa..." and whack, I got a little slap on the head to shut up. I was a big 9 year old and the gate attendant knew it.

Didn't matter. The Cubs were in a tailspin and they needed Grandpa's gate so in we go. I shut up after that and was 7 years old until I was 11.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #60

Music, cost varies by instrument. A decent acoustic guitar is <$1000, then new strings a couple times a year for less than $20. Maybe take a few months of lessons to learn the basics and proper technique. Then proceed on your own. There are 1000's of song tutorials on YouTube for free.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote