Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

My hobby is competitive cycling. The last bike I bought two years ago was a very lightly used and never raced full suspension mountain bike for $3,500. Generally get a new bike every other year.

On going expenses are wear parts; tires, chains, brake pads and bearings. Spending about $100 a month.

And come Spring and Summer race entry fees tack on another couple hundred a month.

All in I figure I spend around $3-4k a year riding and racing bicycles.

This is far less than I think lovely wife spends on sewing and quilting. Sewing machines are very expensive .... I think!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am a birder and it is an inexpensive hobby. You just need a pair of binoculars and a free birding app on your phone and out you go. A very interesting, rewarding and fun hobby that can be done anywhere.

On the other hand I am a golfer. It is a very expensive hobby. The equipment costs a lot and then there is the cost--around here it costs at least $50 per 18 hole round at a decent course.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cycling can have expensive "entry fee" if you want a really good bike, but there are ample bikes available (i.e., except during COVID times) for very reasonable cost. Then it's not an expensive hobby.
I'm also an avid runner. Shoes are not cheap, ut they don't break the bank and they do last quite a while; the same for running clothes.
I play competitive Bridge, and that too is not expensive but not necessarily cheap. I spend, now, about $25 a week playing online. But in-person play was more like 45-60 per week.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Here are some ideas:

1. Video games, if you have a particular game or games that you like a lot. Once you have the console (for example, $199 for a Switch Lite), and the game, you can play that game for as many hours as you want with no additional charges. For me the overall expense has been around 10-15 cents/hour but that will vary depending on the individual.

2. We also go bird watching every day down at Lake Ponchartrain, but for me that's more of just something to do rather than a hobby. We love watching the seagulls and their antics!

3. Frank has been a ham radio operator for half a century, and he loves listening to his radios. He tinkers around with them at home, which doesn't cost a dime (since he has a big junk box full of old parts) and this keeps him happily occupied.

4. Frank also likes writing books that he has absolutely no intention of ever publishing. He just enjoys writing, and I feel special because I am the only one who ever gets to read his books.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am a birder and it is an inexpensive hobby. You just need a pair of binoculars and a free birding app on your phone and out you go. A very interesting, rewarding and fun hobby that can be done anywhere.

On the other hand I am a golfer. It is a very expensive hobby. The equipment costs a lot and then there is the cost--around here it costs at least $50 per 18 hole round at a decent course.

I've never heard of a birding app... it looks like it helps you identify the birds?
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I tend to combine several inexpensive hobbies into one. Here's what I mean; I enjoy motorcycle riding and wrenching on said motorcycle, especially for off pavement riding. I enjoy fishing and I enjoy gold panning in those streams I fish. I also enjoy shooting. So, I'll take my highly modified motorcycle into the woods to go fishing and if the fishing isn't all that great, pan for gold. At some point, something needs to be shot at, a target of some sort.
I find it best to stay low key when enjoying my hobbies.
My motorcycle;

I recently modified the rear axle to fit a 12" trailer wheel and mounted an ATV tire for the extra traction it provides;

I can't see the 1st pic is the second one a DRZ400?
Old 03-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
A lot of hobbies can be done inexpensively. But you need discipline to not get caught up in the "gear war."

For example. Have binoculars? Then you are ready for bird watching and sky gazing. But temptations await you. For bird watching, you may want a camera. Then a telephoto and fancy tripod. Then trips to exotic places. Same can be said about sky gazing.

Hiking? Get a pair of good boots. But gear wars could await you there too.

Gardening? It can get out of hand if you are not careful. Next thing you know you've remodeled the basement for your seedling grow room.

And so on. Keep it simple. Be satisfied with learning and keeping memories, and it is all good.

I've never heard that term before but it appears to be consistent with all of these inexpensive hobbies.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm also an avid runner. Shoes are not cheap, ut they don't break the bank and they do last quite a while
And they seem to keep getting better. I used to count myself lucky to get over 200 miles from a pair of running shoes, but my last pair went for over 550 and were still pretty decent. Definitely not cheap, but extremely well made.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #29

So far for me those on the list. Hiking - we have some beautiful areas around here and cottage. Tennis on public courts free except for balls - inexpensive at Costco. Gardening - pretty much free now with perennials all over the place and exchanges. Ice hockey too but ice time not free and post-game beers probably even more of an expense!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
I can't see the 1st pic is the second one a DRZ400?
You can't see because of the camo? Ha!

Actually, this is a Yamaha TW200. But highly modified. Several other motorcycle parts swapped out. The tank is a XT225, the motor is a TTR230 and the rear wheel is a modular trailer wheel with a ATV tire on it. Here's a photo of the bike prior to modifying;

skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Gardening - pretty much free now with perennials all over the place and exchanges.
Every gardener should learn how to split and share with their neighbors. Great for socialization too!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #32

A lot of good ideas so far so I will add one that hasn’t been mentioned.

If you like watching live sports, become a fan of your local high school or small college teams. Some events will be free, others might have a small entrance fee but many schools offer an all-access pass for less than $100 annually. The level of play won’t be anything near what you see on tv, but with regular attendance you might find yourself with favorite players or getting to know other fans.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #34

One of my hobbies is genealogy. I thoroughly enjoy a rainy or cold afternoon researching on ancestry.com and building my tree. Membership is about $340 a year. I consider it a bargain for the fun I get out of it. There are free sites, too, of course but ancestry has the most going for it.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Pickleball for me costs about 30 monthly which includes a paddle, balls, shoes, gas.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
I've never heard of a birding app... it looks like it helps you identify the birds?
Audubon has a good free birding app, available in the Apple app store (and I assume other app stores too). The app has pictures, a description of the bird and the bird song.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We have a fifth wheel RV that we keep in a member owned campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Northeast Georgia.

Our yearly dues are $450 a year, and it costs us $1 a night up to 14 days per month. That's a bargain.

Since we keep our camper in secured storage there @ $32.50 a month. The campground moves our trailer for us onto campsites.

It's such a fabulous facility (2 pools, tennis, huge clubhouse) that we don't camp anywhere else. It's such a safe and simple way to spend vacations.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
A lot of good ideas so far so I will add one that hasn’t been mentioned.

If you like watching live sports, become a fan of your local high school or small college teams. Some events will be free, others might have a small entrance fee but many schools offer an all-access pass for less than $100 annually. The level of play won’t be anything near what you see on tv, but with regular attendance you might find yourself with favorite players or getting to know other fans.
Agree. I am a sports fan and am fortunate to live in a college town with great sports. Many of the college sporting events I go to are free or very inexpensive--tennis, softball, volleyball, wrestling, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, womens basketball . Mens basketball and football are the only expensive tickets. I have really missed sports during Covid but I did get to a baseball game last weekend.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

A wonderful hobby I picked up after FIRE is the afternoon nap. It's free, requires zero effort and always leaves me well-rested, relaxed and refreshed
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #40

Another vote for hiking. A pair of hiking boots is about it for equipment (although I've seen hikers wearing sneakers just fine). I'm hopping to get back into it soon.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote