Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

FYI: Cost of a Heart MRI in Thailand
Old 11-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

FYI: Cost of a Heart MRI in Thailand

A year after my heart attack I had another echocardiogram, as recommended. My layperson interpretation of the results was things had gotten worse. Rather than subject myself to the well documentented tendency of the Bangkok Hospital Group's regular use of too many procedures and over prescribing, I went to BNH*, one of the most respected 2nd tier hospitals in Bangkok. Brought my medical history.

I repeated the echocardiogram at BNH. Results were essentially the same. Everything about the experience motivated me to return for the recommended cardio MRI.

Echocardiogram at BNH - 6,400 THB (194 USD), at the Hua Hin branch of Bangkok Hospital - 12,500 THB (384 USD).

The Cardiac Stress Perfusion MRI took 2 consecutive days of doctor visits, blood tests, EKGs and 2 1/2 hours in an MRI. Cost 40,140 THB, or about 1,230 USD.

*About BHN. The 2nd tier hospitals in Bangkok most often mentioned on expat forums are BHN and St. Louis. BNH is the oldest private hospital in Thailand. Founded 118 years ago when the British Consul approached the King about creating a medical facility for foreigners. Bangkok Nursing Home was formed and evolved into a large, full service hospital. I chose them over St. Louis because BNH was one of the few in Thailand to have been accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) . https://www.jointcommissioninternational.org/about/

Previously http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...and-82374.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope all is well with you and that you continue to have good health.

There is a big problem with health care in US. I don't know if there is a fix here to get costs down and insurance coverage costs down either. There has been one thing in to way to accomplish those issues.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There really is not a problem with healthcare in the USA, the CARE is excellent. It is the way it is funded and paid for that is the issue.

To cut a long story short. America does not have a healthcare problem, it has an Insurance problem.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
There really is not a problem with healthcare in the USA, the CARE is excellent. It is the way it is funded and paid for that is the issue.

To cut a long story short. America does not have a healthcare problem, it has an Insurance problem.
Good point.

I assume the healthcare is equivalent in Bangkok and the USA, otherwise there is no sense comparing.

What happens in Bangkok if they screw something up? Do they have malpractice insurance? Can you even sue someone there? Does a medical professional in Bangkok live the same lifestyle as one in the USA?

I wonder if Doctor and nurses salaries, which are considerably higher in the USA, have a lot to do with the cost of healthcare? Or the cost of malpractice insurance? I know 85%+ of medical premiums have to be spent on healthcare in the USA, by law.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Coming back from Atlanta last week, I was seated next to a 56 year old MRI salesman.

He just retired following the Japanese purchase of his MRI manufacturing company. He has a 4,000 square foot riverfront house on the Indian River lagoon. Also has a condo 50 miles south closer to his fishing boat. Good for him.

Evidentially MRI manufactures use some of the software imaging technology found in TSA airports scanners.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My oral surgeon has a full head MRI--$400,000. While such machinery may be needed for sinus surgeries, etc. their cost of running that office is ridiculously high.

For a dental implant and abutment, they charge $2750. I got the same work done out of town for $900. Insurance doesn't pay for implants. The dentist's full head xray machine does the job without the cost of the MRI.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Agree with that 110%. Unfortunately, many doctors and medical service providers are in the game with the insurance companies. (or, they are effectively forced to play in the game) I sometimes wonder if organized crime is behind many of these insurance companies and their unfair business practices.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the US health system bashing, but would point out something that is foremost in my thinking about things like this:

Buying a violin would not make me a musician. Similarly, buying an MRI machine would not make me a cardiologist or a radiologist. While making doctor choices is mostly a crap shoot, I believe that choosing among US doctors is more likely to benefit me than choosing among doctors in some third world country. No guarantees, but I think the odds are better.

So ... the cost of MRIs in Thailand will never be a major concern of mine.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Good point.

I assume the healthcare is equivalent in Bangkok and the USA, otherwise there is no sense comparing.

What happens in Bangkok if they screw something up? Do they have malpractice insurance? Can you even sue someone there? Does a medical professional in Bangkok live the same lifestyle as one in the USA?

I wonder if Doctor and nurses salaries, which are considerably higher in the USA, have a lot to do with the cost of healthcare? Or the cost of malpractice insurance? I know 85%+ of medical premiums have to be spent on healthcare in the USA, by law.
All good points. While the US offers non-citizens, visitors and non-legal residents the ability to sue, this is not a universal concept.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
All good points. While the US offers non-citizens, visitors and non-legal residents the ability to sue, this is not a universal concept.
I don't even care about that. The last thing I want is an event where a lawsuit is justified, particularly where it is my survivors who are doing the suing. I'd rather just get the most qualified doctor and facility I can, rather than the one with the best insurance.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
This may be mostly true, but there are some ways in which the insurance problems impact the care, mostly negatively. Each function and specialty is billed separately and each action is a separate line item in the bill. For hospital stays, each action is billed separately, noted separately on the chart, and often performed by someone with little or no prior knowledge of the patient. A quick glance at the chart, a quick action to do as directed, and rush on to the next patient. Shortcuts and assumptions from incomplete reading of the case under pressure to bill more can lead to poor care and mistakes.

I have seen this happen to multiple family members, including me, and my anecdotal experience makes me believe this is a widespread problem. The doctors and nurses aren't bad at their jobs, but they are responding to the billing pressures to evolve a style of care that is NOT as good as it used to be, because of the way billing and insurance is impacting medicine. We may have an insurance problem, but it is affecting quality of care as well.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Some portion of the higher cost in the US goes to medical research, little of which is done in countries like Thailand. Reducing those costs will reduce that research.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Some portion of the higher cost in the US goes to medical research ...
As a percentage, how much?
Old 11-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I don't even care about that. The last thing I want is an event where a lawsuit is justified, particularly where it is my survivors who are doing the suing. I'd rather just get the most qualified doctor and facility I can, rather than the one with the best insurance.
I do not think any doctor intentionally does anything to justify a lawsuit. And I know there are many unjustified lawsuits, but all USA doctors have to have insurance and the cost is built into the price.

If you do not have the ability to sue a doctor in Bangkok, that saves the doctors a lot of money. And if the research in the USA is used by foreign doctors, that is another expense born by USA healthcare payers.

If the costs are shared, some research done foreign countries and some in the USA, it may be a wash.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

2 1/2 years ago DW spent part of a day in. Kuala Lumpur hospital. We later learned that it was a centre for medical tourism.

X-rays, an MRI (back), two consults, prescription drugs,media (they gave her the Xrsys and a Cd of the MRI) and a written report.

It was first rate care and attention. Total hospital cost was CAD $850.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Agreed. Generally speaking, the expertise and level of care in the US is tops, potentially the reason healthcare is expensive here. Care is excellent...for those who can afford it. Foreigners fly to US for top-level care, foreign docs want to train in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Doctor salaries make up about ~10% of healthcare spending, nurses are about the same as well. They certainly earn more than other countries but it's only a fraction of US healthcare spending despite being the ones who are actually providing care.
fasteddie911 is offline   Reply With Quote