Get your freak on

BUM

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Now that ER and I are coming to grips with each other I'm finding that being relaxed and looking relaxed are relative. Now dress down Friday is everyday! Shorts, Tshirts and optional footwear have blessedly become the norm. I'm rapidly becoming like Aggadorn Spartacus on The Bird Cage. Soon I won't be able to wear "hard shoes".

"Chooze? Chooze? Jou didn't tell me I would have to wear chooze!"

Anyway to complete further the metamorphosis, I got a crew cut today!! Not since the 60's has so much scalp been visible. No professional image cares and woes here!

Anybody have any similar stories (piercings and brandings need not reply).

BUM :)

BUM said:
. . . No professional image cares and woes here!

BUM   :) 
You mean I was supposed to wait till I retired to dress like that, wear my hair long, and pierce my ear :confused: Now you tell me. That might explain a lot about my working career.

For me it was starched shirts, tie and wing tips for 20 years then hospital scrubs for 12 years. Glad its so over :p

You mean that you guys still wear shirts and pants? That is sooooo three-years ago for me. :)

When I ER, I hauled off about 6 lawn & leaf garbage bags, or more, full of work attire to the local Goodriddance, er Goodwill Store. I haven't regretted it at all.

wabmester said:
You mean that you guys still wear shirts and pants? That is sooooo three-years ago for me. :)

"That's why they call Wab the streaker"

And you haven't been arrested yet? :police: ;)

I want to live in your town. :D

I am wrestling with the impulse to lose the corporate coif and grow a ponytail while I still have the follicles. What's the downside?

I figure that a pony tail would be too much bother to wash. I want one of those baseball caps with a pony tail attached. Need to find one in grey.

DH has taken to not shaving unless absolutely necessary. While he was on his three week vacation in Alaska he didn't shave at all. I realize he's just rebelling but it's already getting old.

And, trust me, it's not pretty.

Well, even though I work full-time, I've adjusted by working clothes as well. Jeans more often except for big meeting days - no comments yet from the management peanut gallery. If I'm comfortable, I get more done for them :)

Bridget

My corp allows those of us unfortunate enough to work in the cleanroom to wear shorts. Not particularly professional looking, but then we aren't treated as professionals, either. I wear shorts in all but the coldest weather.

I expect to be of the low maintenance, comfort is king school in retirement, which will NOT be much of a change...

I am wrestling with the impulse to lose the corporate coif and grow a ponytail while I still have the follicles. What's the downside?

After 20 yrs in the military preceded by 12 yrs of Catholic school, as soon as I retired I didn't get a haircut for 2 yrs. Didnt shave, just trimmed the beared enough to keep it manageble

After a while the hair down to the back get to be atoo much work. I got it cut then grew it for about a yr or so..rinse repeat. Been keeping it "short" by my standards for about 2 yrs now. 2 or 3 haircuts per yr keeps it manageble.

windsurf said:
I am wrestling with the impulse to lose the corporate coif and grow a ponytail while I still have the follicles.  What's the downside?
It's been three years, two months, & 15 days since my last haircut.  Since then I've saved at least $150!  It's a pleasure to have longer hair than all the females in your household (and most of the neighborhood).  Spouse definitely enjoys my "new" look.  You are also treated much differently than a typical short-haired adult-- George Carlin instead of George Bush.  People will be more likely to perceive you as an open-minded risk-taker.  (TH, I have a great idea for funding a new study!)

Regardless of the hair-care overhead, I think a ponytail is a great metaphor for ER's lifestyle changes.  Every day your hair is longer than it's ever been and you're doing something that you've never done before.  So the following could be thought of as "downside" or as just a new set of challenges.  

There's this awkward stage between "I think I'll grow my hair out" and "There, it all fits in the elastic band" that lasts for about two years.  In the meantime you'll resemble Christopher Lloyd in "Back to the Future."  (Your growth rate may vary.  Measure the distance between your forehead hairline & over the top to the nape of your neck and divide by 4-6" per year for your estimate.)  In the meantime you're smoothing it down on the top and tucking the sides in behind your ears about every 10 minutes.

Guys shed more hair than women but you don't realize it until you grow a ponytail.  Then you're sweeping hairballs off the floor a couple times a week & untangling long strands from the vacuum's roller brush.  Every sink drain needs clearing out twice a year.

Even if you towel your hair dry after washing, it takes 10-30 minutes to stop dripping on your shirt.  You may find that one towel only has enough capacity to dry your hair or your body (but not both).

Ballcaps, hats, & helmets will fit differently (or not at all).

Vigorous athletics (like martial arts) will probably require a braid.  To preserve your self respect, learn how to do this without asking your spouse for help.  Your kids may enjoy helping (unless you ever yelled at them about getting a haircut).

If your hair is curly you'll have an overall frizz that looks like a halo at first and then just looks frizzy.  Even if your hair is straight, a typical guy's comb just won't go through the rat's nest.  Buy something bigger, tougher, and with at least 1/8" spacing.  It's worth using a shampoo with (*choke*) conditioner.

A small elastic band (that doubles over once) is good for regular daily use.  Swimming or surfing is better with a big elastic band (that doubles 4-5x).  I prefer the "Goody" brand but you have to buy them from the girly haircare section of the store...

kz said:
DH has taken to not shaving unless absolutely necessary. While he was on his three week vacation in Alaska he didn't shave at all. I realize he's just rebelling but it's already getting old.  And, trust me, it's not pretty.
I hate shaving.  It makes no sense to me that the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning-- bleary-eyed, dehydrated, & uncoordinated-- is put a razor blade against your neck and stroke back & forth many times.  

I used to wear a beard on submarines where it was cold & damp (the submarines, usually not the beard).  I was not happy when I found out that beards in Hawaii are hot and the breeze blows through them.

ER renders a watch mostly irrelevant but a calendar is essential (to avoid going shopping on weekends).  So I use shaving as a calendar-- I try to shave every Monday & Thursday whether I need to or not.  That gives me a pretty calibrated chance to get the day by the second guess.

For other ER personal-care issues, read Paul Terhorst on bodywork.

Nords said:
It's been three years, two months, & 15 days since my last haircut.  Since then I've saved at least $150!  It's a pleasure to have longer hair than all the females in your household (and most of the neighborhood).  Spouse definitely enjoys my "new" look.  You are also treated much differently than a typical short-haired adult-- George Carlin instead of George Bush.  People will be more likely to perceive you as an open-minded risk-taker.  (TH, I have a great idea for funding a new study!)

Regardless of the hair-care overhead, I think a ponytail is a great metaphor for ER's lifestyle changes.  Every day your hair is longer than it's ever been and you're doing something that you've never done before.  So the following could be thought of as "downside" or as just a new set of challenges.  

There's this awkward stage between "I think I'll grow my hair out" and "There, it all fits in the elastic band" that lasts for about two years.  In the meantime you'll resemble Christopher Lloyd in "Back to the Future."  (Your growth rate may vary.  Measure the distance between your forehead hairline & over the top to the nape of your neck and divide by 4-6" per year for your estimate.)  In the meantime you're smoothing it down on the top and tucking the sides in behind your ears about every 10 minutes.

Guys shed more hair than women but you don't realize it until you grow a ponytail.  Then you're sweeping hairballs off the floor a couple times a week & untangling long strands from the vacuum's roller brush.  Every sink drain needs clearing out twice a year.

Even if you towel your hair dry after washing, it takes 10-30 minutes to stop dripping on your shirt.  You may find that one towel only has enough capacity to dry your hair or your body (but not both).

Ballcaps, hats, & helmets will fit differently (or not at all).

Vigorous athletics (like martial arts) will probably require a braid.  To preserve your self respect, learn how to do this without asking your spouse for help.  Your kids may enjoy helping (unless you ever yelled at them about getting a haircut).

If your hair is curly you'll have an overall frizz that looks like a halo at first and then just looks frizzy.  Even if your hair is straight, a typical guy's comb just won't go through the rat's nest.  Buy something bigger, tougher, and with at least 1/8" spacing.  It's worth using a shampoo with (*choke*) conditioner.

A small elastic band (that doubles over once) is good for regular daily use.  Swimming or surfing is better with a big elastic band (that doubles 4-5x).  I prefer the "Goody" brand but you have to buy them from the girly haircare section of the store...
I hate shaving.  It makes no sense to me that the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning-- bleary-eyed, dehydrated, & uncoordinated-- is put a razor blade against your neck and stroke back & forth many times.  

I used to wear a beard on submarines where it was cold & damp (the submarines, usually not the beard).  I was not happy when I found out that beards in Hawaii are hot and the breeze blows through them.

ER renders a watch mostly irrelevant but a calendar is essential (to avoid going shopping on weekends).  So I use shaving as a calendar-- I try to shave every Monday & Thursday whether I need to or not.  That gives me a pretty calibrated chance to get the day by the second guess.

For other ER personal-care issues, read Paul Terhorst on bodywork.

Not sure what this means but I have no problem with long hair/pony tails/
facial hair on men. One might suspect that a far right-winger would
object. Maybe it's due to being a former biker??

JG

Nords,

Sounds like the amount of time you spend on haircare could be construed as a part time job :eek:

BUM said:
Anyway to complete further the metamorphosis, I got a crew cut today!!

I wear my hair as a flat top.  Uncle Sam seems to like it that way.  However, once I retire I plan on the George Carlin Pony tail with trimmed beard or the Joe Dirt Mullet.  You will probably find me at a NASCAR even shouting "Freebird."

One of my organization peers is a retired Army 0-5 Ranger instructor.  About 9 months ago he came in to work after a long vacation with this goatee, ear ring, and a new gel looking hair doo.  I guess after all those years in the regiment he rebelled.  Kind of reminded me of a pirate.  He also wears pink shirts sometimes.  Of course I don't say much to him I want to keep my head attached where it is supposed to be :)

JDW

BUM said:
Anyway to complete further the metamorphosis, I got a crew cut today!! Not since the 60's has so much scalp been visible. No professional image cares and woes here!
BUM :)

Two weeks after I hung it up, I got a buzz cut. No part, no problem. First time my hair has been this short since I entered the military in 1970.

REW

Retirement doo will be either a ponytail or a buzz; no in between...

Attachments

• Longhair.jpg
    Longhair.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 84
Unlike a few of you, I still wear clothing, but most of the former work attire is long gone now. I go into town looking like I just crawled out from a sewer drain. Assume that they assume I've been working
outside (ha!). Thirty years ago I recall my neighbors opined
that I mowed my lawn in a 3 piece suit. Oh how times have changed. :)

JG

So where are the women in this thread?

I kind of want to cut my hair so it is about an inch long all over when I retire. It's hot today so really really short hair would be nice.

The SO cut her's short about the time of first pension check arrival.

We had a friend, Ricky who got a crew cut many years ago - took such a razz - she threatened to go topless to divert attention. Lasted less than a year - normal short cut nowadays. I voted for topless - but being male - nobody listened to me.

Me - crew in summer - ivy league in winter - same as high school/college.

We live aboard a boat, so I thought I'd rather pull it back than deal with finding a place for regular haircuts when we re'd (I'd had short hair for years and years).  However, I've found longer hair hot, messy and generally unattractive for me, so you've inspired me to get dressed and find a hairdresser immediately!!!  Thanks girls!

Back
Top Bottom