Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2021, 02:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't stand the word "senior" used for "old." It's patronizing, as if there were something nasty and cover-up-able about aging, and we all have to pretend old people are still in high school.

Any time anyone uses the "s" word with me, I say, "No, I want the old people discount."

Old people are old, get over it.

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 05:47 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Frankly, I could have used a discount when I was 23 and hadn't an extra dime to spare! Why isn't there a young people discount?
Yes, we have had much longer to scrape some money together.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:48 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first time it happened to me was when I was paying for admission somewhere, and the kid behind the counter asked if I was a senior. I was taken aback because I was only 58 and still imagined I looked younger. Reality sucks. But then I didn't think the ticket person looked old enough to work there.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Myself, I have a hard time telling the difference in age of 17 -> 26, and have told some too young folks at family gatherings to help themselves to wine I brought as I notice they are looking but not taking.
Then they tell me they are too young
Once you're over 50, everyone under 30 looks 17.

If you're under 30, everyone over 50 looks 70.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That was my position for years.

"Why give seniors a discount, they have had 40 years to save their money. Give the discount to the young that are trying to save their nest egg."
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I recently was carded at the adult toy store, what's with that.
I keep tellin' ya to ditch the propeller beanie!

By the way, I assume you mean you went to a boat or car dealer.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
When I was in my early 50's I asked at a movie theater about the senior age. The teenaged cashier said in a bored voice, "Lady, if you're willing to call yourself a senior, you can have the senior rate."
Hilarious!!!!!!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #28

I have been carded a few times in the past 3 years. I'm convinced that those ladies thought I was cute and were flirting with me.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #29

Quote:
I can't stand the word "senior" used for "old." It's patronizing, as if there were something nasty and cover-up-able about aging, and we all have to pretend old people are still in high school.

Any time anyone uses the "s" word with me, I say, "No, I want the old people discount."

Old people are old, get over it.

I don't like the word either. However...

https://www.etymonline.com/word/senior

*sen- Proto-Indo-European root meaning "old."

It forms all or part of: monseigneur; seignior; senate; senescent; seneschal; senicide; senile; senility; senior; seniority; senor; senora; senorita; shanachie; Shannon; signor; sir; sire; surly.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #30

Yeah, don't forget your ID in TN! It does make it easier for servers with the appeal to authority and also holds them accountable since carding is mandatory and there is no "honest" mistake. I've worked a couple times selling alcohol (college convenience store and bar tending more recently) and there are a lot of folks that don't look their age on both ends of the spectrum. I carded one woman that I thought was likely underage when I was in college who was nearly 50 and tricked a 22 year-old me (made her day) and another guy I thought I was almost a jerk for asking (he looked mid-40's but had turned 21 the day before I carded him).

All the Walmarts around me are 100% too. I've seen some very angry older people that don't carry their ID.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I was just researching membership and entrance prices at the Louvre. Most big French museums are free to under 18-year olds and under 26-year old EU residents. No discount for older people, although if you are unemployed (and I assume documented to be trying to find work) it is also free.

Makes sense.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When I was in my teens and 20's, 80% of my getting "carded" was race and not age related. Not so as I got older, which is a good thing .

When she was younger, a surprising number of folks who carded DW then tried to get her number or score a date with her... as if they wanted to check her age and/or address more for that purpose.

DW has always looked younger than her age. At 55 and 60 (depending on the discount age limit) she almost always had to tell them she was eligible for the discount. It help that she wears her hair longer and never got and gray hairs until the last couple of years (and so few you still have to look for them).
Old 12-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I carded one woman that I thought was likely underage when I was in college who was nearly 50 and tricked a 22 year-old me (made her day).
Happened to me once as well. I was working the counter at a beach and the drinking age was 18. Guy asked for a beer and couldn't believe it when I carded him. I thought he was probably 18 but I just wasn't sure, so I insisted. Turned out he was 27 and boy, was my face red. But he got a big laugh out of it.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Tennessee is extremely strict about carding everyone, no matter what. It's state law that is enforced. Any sale of alcohol must be carded, and I've never seen an exception. Common sense was thrown out the window there.
Correct. My then 86 year old Father in law was carded when buying beer whilst visiting us.

P.I.A.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
When I was in my teens and 20's, 80% of my getting "carded" was race and not age related. Not so as I got older, which is a good thing .

When she was younger, a surprising number of folks who carded DW then tried to get her number or score a date with her... as if they wanted to check her age and/or address more for that purpose.

DW has always looked younger than her age. At 55 and 60 (depending on the discount age limit) she almost always had to tell them she was eligible for the discount. It help that she wears her hair longer and never got and gray hairs until the last couple of years (and so few you still have to look for them).
BIL was a police officer. He pulled over a nice looking blond for a very minor traffic offense to get her phone number. They married a few months later. Oh, he let her off with a verbal warning after getting her number. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

DW#1 was, shall we say, mature looking for her age. At 14 (before I met her) she was able to walk into nightclubs and not get carded. Of course that was 55 years ago and things have changed. And the drinking age was 18 IIRC
Old 12-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Card me please. Hasn’t happened since I was 24!
eleighj416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

The last time I was carded, I was buying a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's. I then went to the grocery store that gives a discount for seniors, and was given the discount. I was in my 50s at the time. Had a good laugh that day, but now that I am over 65, I look forward to those discounts. 😂
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #39

When I read the title. I thought it was about showing the CDC card about vaccination record.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #40

That has happened to us repeatedly in Florida. No ID no alcohol. Rather infuriated my 65 year old wife who didn’t bring her ID. So I ordered 2 drinks and she took one. But our server was not old enough to bring them to the table so I had to fetch them from the bar.

Florida is just absurd sometimes!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote