Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Getting ready for first RV trip
Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Getting ready for first RV trip

I bought a old travel trailer about a year ago and it looks like we will finally get to try her out. We had planned to go earlier in the year, but I had truck troubles on the way back from having the trailer weighed to make sure I wasn't overworking my truck. So I spent $ 5000 on a new engine and a few other goodies on my 2005 Avalanche and then it just got to hot. Of coarse I started reading some RV forums so I also purchased a Hensley hitch to be safe. Then I recently read where you should replace your tires every 5 years and the one's made in China had some problems. So I just checked out my tires and of coarse they are 5 years old and made in China, and I have split rim wheels. So Ive got new wheels on the way and they are suppose to arrive on Thursday, I am planning to leave on Friday.

This sure remind's me of my boating days.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

Resist the urge to buy an anchor.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Resist the urge to buy an anchor.

At least I don't have to pay slip fee's.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, how long will you be going? Can you tell us something about your plan?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #5

Just a short trip to see how everything works and how we like it. We are going to a lake a few hours away and meeting some friends there. We plan on staying for 3 or 4 days. This is new to us, the last time we went camping was 1980 and we stayed in one of those little dome tents.

Hopefully we will enjoy it and can start planning some longer trips. I think the fact that it has heat/air and a bathroom will make things much more comfortable than the tent.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

You will love the quick set up. No putting up tents and hauling out ice chests. Just un hook it, level it, set out the chairs and crack open a cold one. The bathroom is great too. No more laying in the tent debating whether or not you can make it until morning or you are going to get up and make the 100 yard dash to the restrooms in the chill air.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

By the way, DM is my initials (Dan McMartin).

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are definitely some similarities! Although I think in general you get many more hours use out of an RV than a boat (unless you live on one).

Good luck on your shakedown cruise!

Audrey
Old 10-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Be careful with the rv thing...I got mine in March and still on holiday haha.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #9

Well we just made it back. We had a good time and no suprizes. There are of coarse a few things that we still need to work on, but nothing big. The truck pulled the trailer fine, all interstate and flat. Got 12.5 miles to the gallon, better than I expected.

Here are a couple of pics of our old trailer. It did bring a few lookers and we gave a few tours.

I guess the pics are too big, over 2mb. I'll post if I can figure out how.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #10

Here are a couple of pics of the trailer at the campsite. It was a pull thru with full hookups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (288.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg resize 1.jpg (393.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is that a Sliver Streak? What year? It looks very nice and just the perfect size.
Bingie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #12

Its a 1964 Streamline, 26 ft. I'm not sure what the difference were from the Streamlines and Silver Streaks. They look pretty much the same to me.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Very nice looking rig!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

Great looking trailer. I love those old trailers. Glad you enjoyed. Looks like you had the place to yourself.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Great looking trailer. I love those old trailers. Glad you enjoyed. Looks like you had the place to yourself.
The pics were from early Friday. It started filling up some later Friday and Saturday. But there were still several spots open. I imagine it is getting late in the year and the kids are back in school.

In the future, on shorter trips anyway, I plan on leaving the house on Sunday and returning by Thursday. No need to fight the crowds if I don't have to.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the future, on shorter trips anyway, I plan on leaving the house on Sunday and returning by Thursday. No need to fight the crowds if I don't have to.
Ain't Retirement great? Everyday (any day) is Saturday.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Now that shake-down trip was a success, how about a longer one? To Anchorage next year?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those of you thinking of an RV trip to Alaska, here is a web journal of some friends that have just returned. Full Time RVing - Because We Can They took nearly five months to do it and usually did not cover more than a couple hundred miles per day to do it.
Click on their journal archives at upper left and you can follow their journey north and home. They post a lot of pics so it will give you some good insight.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link! I have only seen the first page, and I like what I read already.
We met people who had mechanical problems, and who just laughed those problems off as part of the experience. We met people who had mechanical problems and were not only sorry they had come, but declared they would never be back. Just think if you were a friend of either and asked them about their experience of "going to Alaska", what impression would you come away with, and what effect would it have on your thinking?
I guess it is still an adventurous trip, or perhaps as adventurous as one wants it to be, meaning depending on how far and deep one likes to venture into the real wilderness. Heh, heh heh... I like it...

When I told my family of my intention, one of my nieces said she had read of some people who drove to Alaska, then could not hack it no more, so sold their RV up in Anchorage and flew back. Heh, heh, heh... So, wouldn't completing that trip turn me into a real RV traveler?

Heh, heh, heh... Well, what I will or can do is still nothing compared to the guy who rode a moped up to Fairbanks, but I will be proud once I complete the trip, knowing that some sissier souls fail at that. Now, I just have to make sure my wife does not happen to read anything like the above on the Web.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Awesome pics and great news about the first successful journey! I love the silver ones--we have a painted Airstream (the Argosy motorhome) 28 footer and just put down cork floors in her.

We are foolish enough to have both the boat and the RV, but we were always overachievers in the "how the heck are we going to keep all this cr@p running?" department. And yes, the slip fees are definitely in the RV "Plus" column.

I'd love to see the interior if you have any more photos.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote