Giving up US citizenship

And don't say there is not enough money to get you to do that
Watch my lips very carefully - There....is....not....enough....money.
...because I'm quite certain that if teh going rate were, say, $25 million, most US citizens would gladly sell,
Maybe many would, but I'm not sure about most. There are plenty of people who would sell you their kids for less than that, or literally their ass for a whole lot less than that. Doesn't mean I would.

There are things more important than money in this world. There are things that money can't buy, or that money can't protect you against.

My first American ancestor got his start in this country almost four centuries ago, and he was followed by many other immigrants who became my ancestors for a couple of centuries after that. All came here to escape the oppression of some king, pope, or bandit. America paid off on its promise to them and I have who knows how many relatives living in this country today who are all the beneficiaries of that transaction.

My family paid the price in fighting every war this county has ever been in, including several wars before the Revolution. They worked hard to create something for themselves, their children, and ultimately for me. That's not something I would sell for money.

Loyalty to one's country (the USA) can be either good -- or bad.

If you detach yourself from the flag, apple pie, and other non-legal grounds, the fact remains that for SOME PEOPLE it makes sense to renounce your citizenship. John Templeton (is he still alive) of the same named fund family did this decades ago for (I think) tax purposes. If you are high-wealth, it might make sense to be someone else's citizen.

In contrast, the attraction of the USA to immigrants is a mixed blessing, probably bordering on a "curse." IN MY OPINION, most of the people who enter the USA with intent to stay (note I didn't say "stay legally") are a net drain on our country. I know, "they take the jobs no one else wants," etc. Bullshit. I say kick out all the illegals, pay U.S. citizens whatever wage is needed to do a job, and let's reduce the problems poverty creates for us. We already have enough "citizens" who have no marketable skills, breed kids like rabbits, and without whom the country would be better off without if they'd never existed.

Oh boy are you gonna be in trouble! On two counts!

Ha

I can not think of an amount I would sell my U.S. citizenship for. Sorry, but I went through some really big numbers, 1 billion even. Of course, you have to realize it would mean giving up Texas, and that just ain't going to happen!

DW and I have the home of our dreams, money enough to do what ever we want, as we don't want much, and this country means that much to me.

What if Texas became it's own country again:confused:

Which way would you go....

Hey Doing...

This is like the question to a lady 'would you have sex for $1 million'... and then she says 'yes'...

You ask 'for $1,000'... she says 'what do you think I am'... you say back 'we have established that... we are now negotiation on a price'....

I do not negotiate with something that I am not willing to give up...

As an example... how much would you need to 'steal' if you could... I can tell you that I could have stole a few $100K from my work and they would never have known (in fact, once they sent me a check for $100K that I took to my boss who was shocked... not trace on the money as it was 'lost' in the system).... and I bet I could have stole millions... never did.. .never will...

So here's a hypothetical question:

If it were legal to sell your citizenship, what would you charge? And don't say there is not enough money to get you to do that because I'm quite certain that if teh going rate were, say, $25 million, most US citizens would gladly sell, and there are plenty of foreigners who would buy. I'm not talking about something illegal here where you'd have to look over your shoulder forever. How much would you charge if you could legally sell your citizenship to someone and then live in some tropical locale for the rest of your life spending the money you received? You can still visit the US freely like any foreigner

Very tough question for me but I'd say it is somewhere around $10 million.

My ancestors worked too hard to emigrate here a few hundred years ago- one of them hiding in a pickle barrel on a ship becuse he didn't have money for passage and wanted to avoid indentured servitude. Many have died fighting to make and keep this country free. I realize how lucky I am to be a citizen of the US, and am grateful for the opportunities that I have been given. MY US citizenship isn't for sale, at any price

So, take your hypothetical question one step further- how much would you take to renounce your US citizenship, without knowing where you would be re-assigned to live? It might be the Congo, North Korea, Haiti, any of a number of fundamentalist Islamic countries, or maybe Finland, Luxembourg or Monaco. Your destination will be drawn from a hat. Suddenly the money isn't quite as attractive...

Am I a Texan first and an American second? Interesting question, and one I am sure was around in a slightly different manner in 1776. At that time, I would venture that many thought of themselves as Virginians or New Yorkers, first.

Am I a Texan first and an American second? Interesting question, and one I am sure was around in a slightly different manner in 1776. At that time, I would venture that many thought of themselves as Virginians or New Yorkers, first.
For sure in 1861-62 that's how many thought. Marse Robert, who called slavery a "moral and political evil", refused Lincoln's offer to command all Union forces, and instead sent Winfield Scott a letter resigning his commission.
I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.
Lee, even as he freed the slaves he recently had inherited from his father-in-law (years before some Union generals freed their slaves), remained loyal to his state and defended it.

Back
Top Bottom