Golf Club Fitting

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
I've used the same ping irons for 35 years (added some Adams hybrids - 2 through 5 12 years ago -- wondering if anyone has had golf clubs fitted and if it helped...and if so, how? I love the ping irons, but I really haven't tried other clubs and suspect I am missing out on technology improvements.

I have kept more current with Drivers and use use Calloway Epic.

A fitting can't hurt but need to be leery when comparing new irons with what you have now (Ping Eye 2's?). The loft of your current 7 iron is probably closer to a new 9 iron now so any extra distance you might get probably has a lot more to do with stronger lofts than improved technology. There is a noticeable improvement in driver technology but it sounds like you are taking advantage of that. I also use the Callaway Epic driver, it's very good driver.

Can't hurt but after the fitting I'd still try out different clubs and not buy into what that particular facility is pushing. If you are of average ht., wt., most of the off the shelf clubs will work just fine.

Can't hurt but after the fitting I'd still try out different clubs and not buy into what that particular facility is pushing. If you are of average ht., wt., most of the off the shelf clubs will work just fine as long as you choose the right flex and shaft weight.
Just an add. You can get a free fitting at any Golf Galaxy, with a couple swings on a launch monitor they can help you choose the right shaft. Many OEMs now offer several different shafts, not just flex, at no additional charge.

I've had several fittings, paid at Club Champion (not worth it for me), and "free" fittings at a couple golf stores (PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy & a local golf shop).

OP: There's very rarely a need to have the latest technology every few years, but a lot has changed in 35 years. You should be able to buy new irons that perform better for you, but again take what you have along and hit them side by side with new irons on a launch monitor. You can easily see if the new irons should make a difference you want to pay for.

Last edited:
A fitting can't hurt but need to be leery when comparing new irons with what you have now (Ping Eye 2's?). The loft of your current 7 iron is probably closer to a new 9 iron now so any extra distance you might get probably has a lot more to do with stronger lofts than improved technology. There is a noticeable improvement in driver technology but it sounds like you are taking advantage of that. I also use the Callaway Epic driver, it's very good driver.

7 iron closer to a 9? does that (partially) explain the pg pros crazy club selections?

yes eye2s

7 iron closer to a 9? does that (partially) explain the pg pros crazy club selections?
For the most part no. Today's touring pros are far better athletes and they can optimize thanks to launch monitors & coaches, than the pros from generations past. That's not to say club & ball improvements and course prep haven't contributed, but today's blade irons aren't that much different than 30 years ago.

Most (non-senior) pros still use blades or mildly GI irons that still have lofts much like years past - a pro 7i is about 34-35 degrees loft, Tiger Woods 7i is 36 degrees! It's only amateurs, especially seniors, who buy GI and SGI irons that have FAR lower lofts than 20 years ago, because they go farther - an SGI 7i could have a loft as low as 27 degrees. The difference is 2 or 3 clubs! Not rocket science why they go further, largely lower lofts...though it's a topic that's been hotly debated FOR YEARS. The number that's stamped on the sole of today's irons is somewhat meaningless.

Last edited:
For the most part no. Today's touring pros are far better athletes and they can optimize thanks to launch monitors & coaches, than the pros from generations past. That's not to say club & ball improvements and course prep haven't contributed, but today's blade irons aren't that much different than 30 years ago.

Most (non-senior) pros still use blades or mildly GI irons that still have lofts much like years past - a pro 7i is about 34-35 degrees loft, Tiger Woods 7i is 36 degrees! It's only amateurs, especially seniors, who buy GI and SGI irons that have FAR lower lofts than 20 years ago, because they go farther - an SGI 7i could have a loft as low as 27 degrees. The difference is 2 or 3 clubs! Not rocket science why they go further, largely lower lofts...though it's a topic that's been hotly debated FOR YEARS. The number that's stamped on the sole of today's irons is somewhat meaningless.

Thanks for the feedback. I've never been too caught up in distance, when playing with my crew (several games). As long as I know how far I hit a certain club, that is all that matters.

I really like the adams hybrids and the eye2s. Both feel very forgiving

I also have a Ping lob wedge (probably had it for 25 years) that I love hitting around the green.

If I could putt I'd be a content golfer. I've got some tremors and general putting results anxiety that drives me nuts. Gone to the claw to keep my right hand quieter, but putting has been my bane.

I looked up the loft of my 10-year old clubs...the 7-iron is 32 degrees. If it was 27 degrees I'd hit it 175.

I don't think the number means anything either. What's important is knowing how far you hit each club.

... If I could putt I'd be a content golfer. I've got some tremors and general putting results anxiety that drives me nuts. Gone to the claw to keep my right hand quieter, but putting has been my bane.

Have you tried side saddle putting?

If I could putt I'd be a content golfer. I've got some tremors and general putting results anxiety that drives me nuts. Gone to the claw to keep my right hand quieter, but putting has been my bane.

I could lend you one of my favorite golf books: "How to Carefully Line Up Your Fourth Putt." Sorry, but it is a little dog-eared.

Most people struggle around the green, putting and chipping. Deliberate practice (as opposed to without purpose) is the best way to improve putting (and chipping). Three key elements: learn to read putts, practice alignment - making sure putts are consistently coming off your putter on the exact line you intend, and pace - purely practice IME. I know what the keys to each are for me, but not necessarily transferable.

I assume that is facing the hole? I have not, but I live near a course with a good practice green, so I'll give it a shot.

If you google it you'll find a number of instructional videos out there on it. I find it much easier for distance control and alignment (though not so much yesterday, but that is a whole different story).

If you google it you'll find a number of instructional videos out there on it. I find it much easier for distance control and alignment (though not so much yesterday, but that is a whole different story).

A guy I play with whose the best putter I've ever seen putts face on. I've tried it a couple times but can't get the hang of it. It makes perfect sense as to why it would be better. The guy who wins almost all those "best putter" contests putts side saddle also. It's worth a try.

I did a full bag fitting last December at Club Champion mostly because it was half price ($150). I noticed this year the winter offer wasn't quite as good. The information was quite beneficial to me and they did not give a high pressure sales pitch at all. I did end up getting a putter and a driver shaft, but then went online and got my other replacements from a few of the reputable pre-owned sites. I absolutely love the putter, it ended up being the TaylorMade DuPage model and is by far the best putter I've ever used.

yep I did that and there are some good videos...looks intriguing. Kinda looked like you need a pretty long handled putter in the videos I saw

I use a regular length putter. My left hand is over the top of the putter and my right hand is on the shaft of the putter. I probably should get a longer grip so my right hand is on the grip but I'm used to it. My grip is similar to to woman in the video except it looks to me like her putter is a little longer which is why my left hand end up on top of the butt of the putter grip.

https://youtu.be/D28Zp-P5r68

Last edited:
I use a regular length putter. My left hand is over the top of the putter and my right hand is on the shaft of the putter. I probably should get a longer grip so my right hand is on the grip but I'm used to it. My grip is similar to to woman in the video except it looks to me like her putter is a little longer which is why my left hand end up on top of the butt of the putter grip.

https://youtu.be/D28Zp-P5r68

that was a good video to show the simplicity of the read and the grip along with the regular length of the putter...i'll report back once i try it.

Most people struggle around the green, putting and chipping. Deliberate practice (as opposed to without purpose) is the best way to improve putting (and chipping). Three key elements: learn to read putts, practice alignment - making sure putts are consistently coming off your putter on the exact line you intend, and pace - purely practice IME. I know what the keys to each are for me, but not necessarily transferable.

Exactly. It's all about the short game. Give me two equal players and one of them practices just a half hour a day on putting and chipping and the other one spends a full hour hitting drivers and 3-woods and a couple weeks later the short game guy who practiced half as much will beat the other guy.

I replaced my 10 year old driver ( I was hitting it fine ) a couple years ago with the latest and greatest. Gained maybe 10 yards. The newer irons should be bore forgiving than your old pings, so probably worth the upgrade.

What I have noticed is that green fee golfers usually have the best and newest clubs, and the members ( who typically play 80-100 rounds per year ) have the older clubs.

And yes, short game matters most.

Back
Top Bottom