Golf swing question #2

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
I battle the yips every time I play. I can make a good clean swing at a 20 footer, but jab at anything inside 5 feet.

When I remember to putt with my shoulders that seems to help. When I am handsy with putts I am in big trouble. I use the claw grip, which has helped some, but I still have some misery and it seems to get worse each year.

I drink beer when I play solely for the purpose of calming my nerves on and around the greens.

Just looking for feedback, like my last golf swing thread (the feedback was very helpful for me)

You might want to try side saddle putting. I have found it to be a big help with distance control. I use a regular length putter with a big fat grip and my left hand is over the top of the end of the putter and my right hand is on the grip with my palm facing the intended line. No practice strokes. Just line up and give it a good stroke to the hole.

My main objective for 10'+ is to leave it within 2' and if it goes in then it is a bonus. Shorter than that, I am expecting to make it but if not be within 2'.

I've been know to stop the cart girl and buy some swing juice now and again, especially if I'm having a bad day.

that was good PB4, thx...it reminds me that I have posted this issue here before and I think you pointed me in this direction then too.

I tried it previously (side saddle), but think maybe I missed some of the details, including making sure you have good clearance for the club swing. Also like that her brother keeps one foot back, that felt like something i might try.

Anyhow, i'll report back once again.

The yips are almost always caused by swinging too fast (yes, you can be too fast with putting too) and not turning the body. I love this video featuring Kevin Kisner correcting the chipping woes of an amateur. He goes from skulling the ball across the green to hitting some nice shots. The same principals apply to putting

My amateur advice: tuck your elbows into your side. You will be forced to turn your body and won't have to "remember" to do it.

The yips are almost always caused by swinging too fast (yes, you can be too fast with putting too) and not turning the body.[/URL]

Good chipping advice but don't think that video had anything to do with the yips, just correcting poor technique. Certainly don't want to be turning your body during the putting stroke.
No pro has been as successful at dealing with the putting yips than Bernhard Langer, maybe follow his lead and try the broom stick.

My two cents. Have a set routine for your putts, all your putts regardless if they are thirty footers or two footers. My routine is to always mark my ball, reset it and align it to the hole, take one practice stroke and then hit it, making sure you watch the putter make contact with the ball before looking up. Most people who have problems with short putts spend too much time over the ball thinking about it. Also, I'm no fan of gimmies or pick ups in the leather, unless it is kick in. All that said, putting is probably easiest to practice but yet the least practiced part of golf by the majority who play this silly game.

The yips are almost always caused by swinging too fast (yes, you can be too fast with putting too) and not turning the body. I love this video featuring Kevin Kisner correcting the chipping woes of an amateur. He goes from skulling the ball across the green to hitting some nice shots. The same principals apply to putting

My amateur advice: tuck your elbows into your side. You will be forced to turn your body and won't have to "remember" to do it.

"the butt of your grip and center of your chest have to move at the same rate all the time"

worth trying

that's a great video with Kiz -- I need to find his putting video

Last edited:
My two cents. Have a set routine for your putts, all your putts regardless if they are thirty footers or two footers. My routine is to always mark my ball, reset it and align it to the hole, take one practice stroke and then hit it, making sure you watch the putter make contact with the ball before looking up. Most people who have problems with short putts spend too much time over the ball thinking about it. Also, I'm no fan of gimmies or pick ups in the leather, unless it is kick in. All that said, putting is probably easiest to practice but yet the least practiced part of golf by the majority who play this silly game.

Amen on the practice issue. I have a muni course with practice green about 1/3 mile from our front door, but I am slow to take advantage of it, been too busy and now it's too hot.

I have some tremor issues as well, should probably see a neurologist. I think that might be the true source of my issue.

As long as we are talking golf swing, I will ask another question: I have gotten to the point when just a few rounds of golf give me tennis elbow in my left arm (tendon pain where forearm connects to elbow's outside (I am RH swing). I have tried resting it for 12 months (took all of a year off). Played a few rounds in april, and it cam back with a vengeance.

Any idea what it is about my presumably bad swing form that is causing this?

As long as we are talking golf swing, I will ask another question: I have gotten to the point when just a few rounds of golf give me tennis elbow in my left arm (tendon pain where forearm connects to elbow's outside (I am RH swing). I have tried resting it for 12 months (took all of a year off). Played a few rounds in april, and it cam back with a vengeance.

Any idea what it is about my presumably bad swing form that is causing this?

Could be caused by other reasons than a bad swing, when watching the Champions Tour you'll usually see a few wearing a compression band just below the elbow to relieve tendon pain, may want to try that.

Last edited:
Could be caused by other reasons than a bad swing, when watching the Champions Tour you'll usually see a few wearing a compression band just below the elbow to relieve tendon pain, may want to try that.
I wear a compression band every round, and my tennis elbow has slowly gotten better over the past year. I may not need it anymore, but I’m afraid to play without out now, despite the white band on my forearm (vs my tanned arm). I’ve been taking it off on the back nine the last few weeks to test, baby steps…

follow up post...

I played on father's day and applied something I had watched some good golfers do. I focused on a shorter follow through. It stabilized my swing and had me hitting it in the middle of the putter face...also removed any wristieness (sp).

It was especially good for the short putts. My goal is to decrease my need for swing oil and prove to myself that I can play and putt without drinking beer. (I have a low ceiling with my goals :)

Haven't tried it myself but there are apparently a few PGA Tour players that use CBD to calm their nerves, Bubba Watson is the most obvious with the cbdMD endorsement on his visor.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it myself but there are apparently a few PGA Tour players that use CBD to calm their nerves, Bubba Watson is the most obvious with the cbdMD endorsement on his visor.

Thanks for that...I think we have some and will try that.

Back
Top Bottom