Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #2021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Funny game. I get myself in trouble off the tee too often, long (in league) but not straight, usually hit 5-8 fairways of 14. Iron play including recovery shots usually pretty solid.

If you're long off the tee then you're driving is probably better than you think, hitting 8 of 14 fairways is probably close to the PGA Tour average for fairways hit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #2022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a long hitter off the tee... probably average 200 at best... 225 is very good for me. Anyway, for the first time ever I won the longest drive hole in our family tournament today... by about 2' over DBIL. A cousin was about 5 yds longer... but was in a fairway trap.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #2023
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Today was a good day on the course. I have to preface this with the fact that I played with a Sr. friend and since he plays the front tees, so did I. I have done this before and not broke 100 on this course. Today I hit 90. Good drives, putted well and no major blowup holes. To top things off, the sky was blue and temp was mid 70’s. Got around the course in less than three hours. Just a really good day of recreational golf.
Nothing wrong with playing the closer tees. I play once a week with my BIL who is not a great golfer. We play the senior tees and it's the most fun I have playing golf. I score a little better and even have a chance to reach the occasional par 5 in two. I'd move there permanently if I could convince the guys in my regular game to do it. But not likely.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
If you're long off the tee then you're driving is probably better than you think, hitting 8 of 14 fairways is probably close to the PGA Tour average for fairways hit.
Well, he did say 8 fw's was the high end so the 5 at the low end isn't too good. But more important than the fw's you hit are how good are your misses. Hitting 10 of 14 fw's is good but if the 4 you miss are OB, no bueno. I'll deliberately aim into the left rough on a dogleg right to insure I have a good angle into the green.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #2025

Quote:
I carded a 79 today, I only break 80 occasionally. I was pretty pleased - except my 67 year old (league) playing partner shot a 68!

He didn’t make them but he had eagle putts on two par 5’s and one (242 yard) par 4! On one of the par 5’s his 200 yard second shot landed about 15 feet from the pin and rolled by within inches of the pin and finished about 6 feet past - would have been an albatross. He was understandably disappointed with his birdie (one of 7). He hit so many beautiful shots it was mind boggling. I’ve never seen anyone play like that firsthand, it was really something to watch. Inspiring. And he’s a really nice, unassuming guy to boot, well liked in the league.
It is fun to watch someone playing that well, and even better if it's someone likeable.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #2026
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I average right at 250 yds unless I mishit. I usually uncork one out to 260-270 at least once per round. It's helpful when it lands in the fairway, but I'm more likely to lose a ball when I'm offline than many of my fellow league players who are mostly older than I am...

The guy I played with last week who shot a 68 was putting them out at 250 off the tee, almost every time! I don't think he lost a single ball, I usually lose at least one per round - almost always off the tee.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #2027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I average right at 250 yds unless I mishit. I usually uncork one out to 260-270 at least once per round. It's helpful when it lands in the fairway, but I'm more likely to lose a ball when I'm offline than many of my fellow league players who are mostly older than I am...
I took some lessons earlier this year and my drives went from 210 - 220 or so to 250+...now a lot of the bunkers I used to be short of are now in play
Old 09-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #2028

I bought some of the new 4 layer Kirkland golf balls. They sold out so fast, I didn’t even bother trying to alert the ER group. I was so happy to get some. Then I started reading reviews of the new ball and they were terrible. Not just that they weren’t as good as the original k-sigs, but they were defective. The balls were being cut under normal golf conditions. People had cut the balls open and the outer layer was not bonded to the inner layer. The separation was causing significant issues. Still, I wasn’t worried because Costco’s return policy and, some reviewers were not having any issues. So, I figured I’d use them tomorrow and see if I got lucky and got some good balls.

Well, today it all became moot. Costco sent me an e-mail saying they were aware of the issue and they they would refund me the entire purchase price AND that I can keep the balls. So, tomorrow I’m still going out with the hope that I got some without any issues but either way, no concern about having to return them if I didn’t. Good job Costco. Now I just hope when they get this sorted out I can score some from the next run. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #2029
Give me a forum ...

You had me worried for a minute there because I recently ordered some and had been using them for the last month or so. However I just checked my order and they're the Kirkland Signature 3-piece Urethane Cover Golf ball not the 4 layer ball.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #2030
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I bought some of the new 4 layer Kirkland golf balls. They sold out so fast, I didn’t even bother trying to alert the ER group. I was so happy to get some. Then I started reading reviews of the new ball and they were terrible. Not just that they weren’t as good as the original k-sigs, but they were defective. The balls were being cut under normal golf conditions. People had cut the balls open and the outer layer was not bonded to the inner layer. The separation was causing significant issues. Still, I wasn’t worried because Costco’s return policy and, some reviewers were not having any issues. So, I figured I’d use them tomorrow and see if I got lucky and got some good balls.

Well, today it all became moot. Costco sent me an e-mail saying they were aware of the issue and they they would refund me the entire purchase price AND that I can keep the balls. So, tomorrow I’m still going out with the hope that I got some without any issues but either way, no concern about having to return them if I didn’t. Good job Costco. Now I just hope when they get this sorted out I can score some from the next run. Fingers crossed.
Maybe you read the MGS report. They said the lack of bonding was the lesser problem. They found the covers easier to cut than any ball they’d ever seen since balatas were around. But best of luck.

The first K-Sig was a fluke that won’t be repeated. Costco bought a bunch of good balls from a Nassau Quattro overrun. Between what TM and Titleist did in response, there won’t be another unicorn ball from Costco. None have been from the Nassau factory since, and likely won’t be.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #2031

I too have the 3 layer balls and like them a lot. But, the old 4 layer balls were said to rival (said to be) ProV’s so I thought I’d grab some when I saw them back in stock. Frankly, I regretted the purchase right away. I bought first and read reviews later only to find that the new balls were not made by the same company or in the same country as the original balls. Oh well, as always, limited risk with Costco’s return policy.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #2032

I purchased some of the original 4-piece Kirkland balls (2-doz for $29.99) back in 2017, still have a dozen sitting on the shelf. They are good balls, good value for the money, but weren't comparable to PRO-V1's IMO.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:12 PM   #2033

I golfed with the four layer balls today and found them to be very good balls. My game really isn’t good enough to discern the difference in a ball, so for me they were great. After all, they are now free! I didn’t have any cutting issues or notice any outer layer separation so I’m hoping the issue was limited to just some of the latest supply and that mine came from a good production run. They did feel a little different than the three layer ball, but I didn’t notice any difference in driving distance. They may be a little better for my iron shots but maybe it was just one of my better days. Just happy to have 4 dozen free balls that seem to work well for me. I almost feel bad, taking advantage of Costco. Their return policy was protection enough, but I guess they were protecting their image at this point.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #2034
Give me a forum ...

Probably an old one I hadn't seen/don't remember.

Kinda like if you want to make sure you miss a tree, aim right at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dude Golf.jpg (191.4 KB, 16 views)

Back in the Saddle Again
Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #2035

Back in the Saddle Again

Played my first round in 6 months this week; kept away by family issues. I went out with my normal Tuesday group. It was fabulous to be back; was 1 over thru 8, then my real self came back & I finished +13 (85); still very pleased (11 FIR, 5 GIR, 33 putts) and had a great time!
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Played my first round in 6 months this week; kept away by family issues. I went out with my normal Tuesday group. It was fabulous to be back; was 1 over thru 8, then my real self came back & I finished +13 (85); still very pleased (11 FIR, 5 GIR, 33 putts) and had a great time!
Sounds like you played very well after a long lay off. I'm usually much rustier when I've been sidelined.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #2037

Why is it after a lay-off and you get back on the course with low expectations, you shoot a good round ? I think the game of golf is almost counter intuitive at times, the hard you try, the worse you do.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #2038
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Why is it after a lay-off and you get back on the course with low expectations, you shoot a good round ? I think the game of golf is almost counter intuitive at times, the hard you try, the worse you do.
I don't know why but it doesn't surprise me. Up north where golf is seasonal, I almost always had a lower HI in Spring than I did in the Fall (maybe 4-5 strokes worse in Fall), year after year. I attributed the decline in my game to too much thinking. In Spring I just hit the ball. In Fall I'd had a couple months to tweak and think more - guess that can be counter productive in my case. Frankly I think it was mostly putting (and chipping), after reading a putt from side and back, any swing thoughts or tension tend to get in the way. YMMV

Old 11-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #2039
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone here take advantage of the "seasonal memberships" at some of the southern courses? I likely can't do it this year, as I'm recovering from a shoulder injury, but I really like the idea of joining a good course for 3 months/year. I only wish we would have seasonal summer memberships up here in the frozen tundra.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Does anyone here take advantage of the "seasonal memberships" at some of the southern courses? I likely can't do it this year, as I'm recovering from a shoulder injury, but I really like the idea of joining a good course for 3 months/year. I only wish we would have seasonal summer memberships up here in the frozen tundra.

One golf course I like to play in the Phoenix area is the Legacy Golf Club, they keep sending me membership information even though I live 200 miles away. Their full golf membership is $5000, seasonal (3 months) is $3500. Haven't researched it but my guess is that is pretty typical for that area, you won't get a big discount for seasonal memberships, especially not during the peak winter months when all the prices head north.
Closed Thread