Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #2061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and it does the same thing, it does miss some shots but overall pretty good considering there's no user interaction.

Ping is offering free Arccos sensors (https://ping.com/en-us/arccos-sensor-promo) if you own specific Ping model clubs. Well not exactly free, you need to purchase a yearly Arccos subscription after a 90 day trial period. I tried it out but didn't find it that useful, I already know how far I hit various clubs and the sensors sometimes miss shots, plus I don't like having to carry my cellphone in my pocket when golfing which Arccos requires. I canceled before the 90 days was up but they added on an additional 5 free months, I took the extension but won't renew past that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #2062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
...So I just bought a Garmin Approach S20, golf watch with some activity tracking, largely because it syncs and updates automatically via Bluetooth...

I liked my G10, but the S20 is the bomb.

(makes note to add it to "Blow That Dough" list for 2020... )
Old 12-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #2063
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Ping is offering free Arccos sensors (https://ping.com/en-us/arccos-sensor-promo) if you own specific Ping model clubs. Well not exactly free, you need to purchase a yearly Arccos subscription after a 90 day trial period. I tried it out but didn't find it that useful, I already know how far I hit various clubs and the sensors sometimes miss shots, plus I don't like having to carry my cellphone in my pocket when golfing which Arccos requires. I canceled before the 90 days was up but they added on an additional 5 free months, I took the extension but won't renew past that.
Another feature of the Garmin Approach S20. I forgot to turn on the watch until after my first drive, my bad. But you can edit/add shots, so I pulled up the first hole and added my drive easy peasy - all four tees are shown on the graphic. There were also two erroneous shots, one was last green to next tee - but I just deleted them.

It’ll be interesting to see what my yardages are, though I know I’m shorter in winter. I’ve always used 10 yard increments between irons and it’s served me well - as far as I know. I’m sure my gaps aren’t all a neat 10 yards, and I don’t have a clue what my distance (length, not right-left) dispersion is - probably more than 10 yards And the driving range is useless for establishing distances.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #2064

Played Las Parotas Golf Club in Huatulco, MX on Christmas. Outstanding course; well maintained, great service; they bring you cold drinks & towels throughout the round, and didn’t see another group until 18.

For some reason, the course architect had a penchant for placing big @$$ trees in the middle of the fairway. Highly recommended if you’re ever down that way; most likely on a cruise.
IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.jpg
Old 12-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #2065
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
....For some reason, the course architect had a penchant for placing big @$$ trees in the middle of the fairway. ...
Yes, what is it with that and why do designers do it?

On one of my former home courses there was a big @$$ pine tree in the middle of the 8th fairway. One member kept getting into it. Then one night in the middle of the night it was chainsawed to the ground. Good riddance.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #2066
Give me a forum ...

We had one too in the middle of the 17th fairway. God took care of it for us as lightning zapped it.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #2067

Ace #3 of my golfing life today! 149 yard seven iron on the 11th hole of our course here in North Scottsdale. Bounced about a foot from the hole and went in. Actually got to see it which was nice. Not too many folks around the club so the bar bill should only be about $400. Hole in one pool is $2250!

Good way to end the year!
Old 12-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #2068
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Ace #3 of my golfing life today! 149 yard seven iron on the 11th hole of our course here in North Scottsdale. Bounced about a foot from the hole and went in. Actually got to see it which was nice. Not too many folks around the club so the bar bill should only be about $400. Hole in one pool is $2250!

Congrats!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #2069
Give me a forum ...

I seem to be 10-20 yds shorter with each club than a few short years ago (I'm 64).

I'm wondering if it might be time to look at senior shafts. Thoughts?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #2070
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I seem to be 10-20 yds shorter with each club than a few short years ago (I'm 64).

Only way to know is to get on a launch monitor and see what kind of club head speed you're generating. They're easy to find these days, almost any Dick's Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy if nowhere else. I'd honestly be surprised if you need senior shafts at your age, I don't yet and I'm a year older than you are. I got fitted last year and I still use stiff shafts, but 20 grams lighter than my salad days. By all means let a fitter tell you - for free. Then you can think it over and decide how to proceed...best of luck.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #2071
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

awesome - last ace I had cost me about $350 - worth every dollar
Old 01-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #2072
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Only way to know is to get on a launch monitor and see what kind of club head speed you're generating.
I can definitely hit the ball further with a whippy shaft it's just difficult for me to control it - my driver shaft is X, everything else just S

my last day in the orifice is tomorrow - time for some short game practice next week
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #2073
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I recently turned 62 and over the last year or two I am 10 to 15 yards shorter with the irons by design. I am purposely not turning and coiling as far to protect my back. My full yardage is available, but I would last no more than a week. Maybe your body is subconsciously protecting itself.

I use to play DGS300 shafts, I switched to a Stiff Flex lighter steel shaft. It's about halfway between a Stiff and Regular flex.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #2074

Quote:

So much for the $400.00 bar bill. Total including tax and tip came out to $1004.00! Oh well still cleared enough to buy a new driver this year with the leftover credit.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #2075

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I recently turned 62 and over the last year or two I am 10 to 15 yards shorter with the irons by design. I am purposely not turning and coiling as far to protect my back. My full yardage is available, but I would last no more than a week. Maybe your body is subconsciously protecting itself.

Either protecting itself or for many as we get older just not able to turn like we use to. Stretching, weight training, yoga can definitely help to keep what we have a little longer.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #2076
Recycles dryer sheets

When I started playing I used and still use the interlocking grip. Fiddled with the ten finger, baseball, grip the other day and it sure felt good. What are your thoughts about the three? Interlocking, overlapping and ten finger.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #2077
Give me a forum ...

I hit the ball equally poorly with all 3. I use overlapping I think.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #2078
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
When I started playing I used and still use the interlocking grip. Fiddled with the ten finger, baseball, grip the other day and it sure felt good. What are your thoughts about the three? Interlocking, overlapping and ten finger.
I used the interlocking grip when I was a very young beginner. I switched to overlapping because I was taught it’s the preferred grip (by my Dad when I was about 13) - too late to question it.

IME it takes a lot time to get comfortable when switching from one to another. I know interlocking feels a little strange to me, and baseball feels very strange/unworkable to me because I’ve been overlapping for decades.

https://www.liveabout.com/types-of-golf-grips-1564427

Quote:
There are three common and fundamentally sound ways of gripping the golf club.

The Vardon Overlap grip, sometimes called the Overlapping Grip, is the most common grip among great players.

The next most common grip is called the Interlock, or Interlocking. This grip is very popular on the LPGA Tour.

The Ten Finger grip, sometimes called the Baseball Grip, is the least preferred grip among teachers. It does, however, have its advantages.

Break 80
Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #2079

Break 80

I read a link today that said one can break 80 by doing three things:

1. Hit 8 greens in regulation (likely four Par 5s + four other holes)
2. Have 33 putts or less.
3. Have nothing worse than bogey on any hole.

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #2080
Recycles dryer sheets

Big_Hitter. I've seen you hit, much better then myself. And now that you are retired you'll have even more time to practice. If only it would quit raining or snowing or sleeting or whatever else nature wants to throw at us.
Closed Thread