Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I've got my 1st ever hole-in-one today after almost 10 years of playing golf. I can die now without any regret.
Congratulations! Haven’t even come close myself. I’m sure it was great and will not be forgotten. Hope the bar tab wasn’t too big .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #2102
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on the hole in one.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #2103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I've got my 1st ever hole-in-one today after almost 10 years of playing golf. I can die now without any regret.
Congratulations. Which course and hole?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #2104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Good one, I hadn’t thought of that, and neither did the Golf Channel guys.

And we should probably value an albatross as a greater accomplishment than a (par 3) hole in one.
Yes, absolutely 3-under par trumps 2-under par.... like a 900 series trumps a 300 game.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #2105
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife had a hole in one after playing for 14 months. Twelve years later I have had one eagle, but never an ace.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #2106
Give me a forum ...

I've putted for eagle a few times.... most were long putts but one was about 10'... untortunately I missed it (and no.. I didn't leave it short).

But there is nothing wrong with a tap-in birdie.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #2107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
My wife had a hole in one after playing for 14 months. Twelve years later I have had one eagle, but never an ace.
My hole in one was after about 3 years playing golf, and I haven't had another hole in one in the 52 years since...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #2108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
you need to play more, like today at 1130 lol
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #2109
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't play that early today, but will be out there later to feed Mallory (the duck) and to get nine holes in. Always thank you for the invitation.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #2110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Congratulations. Which course and hole?
Thanks. It was Wente in Livemore, hole #7.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #2111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't play that early today, but will be out there later to feed Mallory (the duck) and to get nine holes in. Always thank you for the invitation.
I walked and carried my clubs yesterday I feel like i've been hit by a truck lol

made a bunch of pars but hit a bunch of really terrible shots - it's still early...
Old 02-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #2112
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll throw this out to the forum. Does anyone get knee pain when walking downhill? My self diagnosis is IT band tightness. It only occurs on the outside of my left knee. I am right handed so also wondered about the turn/pivot of the swing adding to the issue. Taking a cart alleviates the issue so I doubt it is the swing/turn.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #2113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started baseball grip for first 20+ years of playing since I played baseball. Switched to overlap 15-20 years ago. Carried a club around holding that grip during the winter to get myself used to the feel.

Most people I've played with leave the pin in but there are still a few hold outs.

My 11 year old son had a hole in one at a junior tournament 18 years ago. I'm still waiting DW and I are playing a nice par 3 course today. 18 more tries - maybe this will be the day!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #2114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll throw this out to the forum. Does anyone get knee pain when walking downhill? My self diagnosis is IT band tightness. It only occurs on the outside of my left knee. I am right handed so also wondered about the turn/pivot of the swing adding to the issue. Taking a cart alleviates the issue so I doubt it is the swing/turn.
I hike some and don't get much pain. I was discussing this with my GP once and he said to walk downhill on a zigzag path. Would help to take some stress off the knee. I rarely remember to tho. As far as golf goes....I ride. BTW....I take daily glucosamine chondroitin with msm and hardly ever have knee pain anymore. Ymmv.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #2115
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I know from many hours of hiking that you definitely place a lot more force on the knees when going downhill, the tendency is to take longer strides but I've found taking a shorter stride helps. Doing some exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #2116
Recycles dryer sheets

Played two quick rounds of nine holes both yesterday and today. Both days was at 36 after eight holes. Triple bogied the ninth hole both days, second shot into the pond and three putted. I should learn when to quit.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #2117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Played two quick rounds of nine holes both yesterday and today. Both days was at 36 after eight holes. Triple bogied the ninth hole both days, second shot into the pond and three putted. I should learn when to quit.
that's still great playing - those last 3 holes on the back are difficult. I think I finished up 6 5 4 yesterday- I hit my approach sideways into the creek on 16 pulled out of the shot
Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
OH, I GOT NEW GRIPS - golf pride g2 cobalt blue!
I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #2119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’m thinking of new grips. What things need to be considered? I have my original Ping grips but thinking I’d like something a bit larger in the hand and maybe I little softer and stickier. Do they fit grips like they do clubs? What’s a fair price for installation? Just don’t want to go into the store without some background information. Thanks.
Here's one starting point below. As far as price is concerned, it varies quite a bit depending where you live. At my club they will do it for you around $10 per grip including a basic grip. A friend of mine had a grip installed at Pro-Golf and they charged $25 each. I install my own. Really not much to it.

https://www.golfpride.com/fit/
Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #2120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
They do fit grips. There are a couple sizes (junior, std, midsize, jumbo?), but number of wraps of tape under the grip bridge the differences. IIRC a standard grip with 4-5 wraps of tape is the same as a midsize grip. My grips have 3 wraps of tape under.

There are dozens of types, soft, firm, tacky, less tacky, (synthetic) rubber, leather, corded, ribbed, etc. Like most things you get what you pay for.

It’s an easy DIY job but it’s messy, so I pay to have it done. Most of the cost is the grip itself ($5-$15/ea), most shops add about $2/grip above the cost of the grip to do it for you. Some shops price including labor to do it for you just ask to be sure. New grips is a good thing.

https://golftips.golfweek.com/size-g...need-2398.html

https://www.golf.com/gear/accessorie...ully-equipped/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Closed Thread