Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #2141

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.
Nice! Iíve yet to get into the eighties. Iíll keep trying
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #2142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89.
good job!
Old 03-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #2143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well done. Any new milestone in golf makes for a great day, and making a 10 footer to "squeak in" is impressive -you're ready for the pro tour.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #2144
Recycles dryer sheets

Super excited! Just booked some tee times in Puerto Rico for later this month:
  • Costa Caribe GCC
  • Dorado Beach - Sugercane Course
  • Royal Isabella
  • Cocoa Beach GC - Championship Course
  • and Palmas Athletic Club (we have to book when we get there).
We have room for one more round. I'm thinking the Dorado East Course (if we can get on) or El Conquistador (if it's open/I doubt it). Punta Borinquen is another option.
Can you suggest any other courses on the island that shouldn't be missed?
Old 03-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #2145
Give me a forum ...

found a new way to sandbag - I just play the forward tees

the new handicapping rules use course rating now in the course handicap calculation resulting in quite a disparity in course handicap among tees

for example, I'm an 18 off the blue tees, where we play most of our tournaments, a 15 off whites (old man tips) and an 11 off gold (old man tees). I'm also a 22 off the real tips. However, I normally shoot around the same score off the gold due to either short game failure or hitting a driver instead of a hybrid or iron off the golds. A buddy and I played the gold tees friday and I posted an 87 and he posted a 78 (he was a 7 off the golds) so we will see how this goes. I played with the senior group Wednesday and posted a 90 off the whites.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #2146
Give me a forum ...

But isn't it the opposite of sandbagging? Let's say your average score is 87 and on any given day you shoot 87 from the whites or from the golds.

Off the white tees you would be net 72, but of the golds you would be net 76... so how are you sandbagging by hitting from the golds?

FWIW, at my home course I score about the same from the whites or the golds.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #2147
Full time employment: Posting here.

I doubt this approach to sandbagging will work. I believe over time your average score will be less on the shorter tees.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #2148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed on the course I play Friday, and a couple I drove by during the weekend, a lot of golfers riding by themselves in carts, in threesomes and foursomes. It looks like courses are now not forcing people to share a golf cart due to the coronavirus situation. I would think this would improve the pace of play.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I noticed on the course I play Friday, and a couple I drove by during the weekend, a lot of golfers riding by themselves in carts, in threesomes and foursomes. It looks like courses are now not forcing people to share a golf cart due to the coronavirus situation. I would think this would improve the pace of play.
I'd be willing to pay a few bucks extra to do this. Especially if I was playing as a single and paired up with people I don't know.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #2150

People sharing a cart that hit all over the place and don't plan correctly can be horrendously slow.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #2151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But isn't it the opposite of sandbagging? Let's say your average score is 87 and on any given day you shoot 87 from the whites or from the golds.

Off the white tees you would be net 72, but of the golds you would be net 76... so how are you sandbagging by hitting from the golds?

FWIW, at my home course I score about the same from the whites or the golds.
yes, playing gold tees should increase my index, significantly
Old 03-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #2152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
5 guys 5 carts - that's golf baby!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #2153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
People sharing a cart that hit all over the place and don't plan correctly can be horrendously slow.
the worst is couples golf when the couples don't split up into MM and FF
Old 03-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #2154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I doubt this approach to sandbagging will work. I believe over time your average score will be less on the shorter tees.
we get daily revisions now and my index has already started to increase
Old 03-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #2155

Did read an article on the new handicap system that stated it will benefit the lower handicap player more in match/net play events, stating the lower handicapper will be given less strokes to his higher handicap opponent then he would have in the old system. The thinking was the old system benefited the higher handicap player too much.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Did read an article on the new handicap system that stated it will benefit the lower handicap player more in match/net play events, stating the lower handicapper will be given less strokes to his higher handicap opponent then he would have in the old system. The thinking was the old system benefited the higher handicap player too much.
I believe the old system did benefit the higher handicap player. I use to play in an annual two day tournament with about 40 players. My handicap ranged from 4 to 6 and I didn't have a chance in h*ll against the 20 to 30 handicap crowd. Each year I would have had to shoot 72 to 74 each day in order to win. Only twice did a player win with a low handicap over 10 years.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #2157
Recycles dryer sheets

The Boise Parks and Recreation closed all of their offices and sites including two golf courses in town. I hoped the courses would not be touched, but assume that they are trying to be consistent across all their sites. Bummer as one is a really fun course five minutes from my house. Many others are still open
Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I believe the old system did benefit the higher handicap player. I use to play in an annual two day tournament with about 40 players. My handicap ranged from 4 to 6 and I didn't have a chance in h*ll against the 20 to 30 handicap crowd. Each year I would have had to shoot 72 to 74 each day in order to win. Only twice did a player win with a low handicap over 10 years.

That's my experience to, not unusual to see a high handicapper with a net score 6-7 strokes under par, of course a lot of them do meet the definition of sandbagging. Not so sure this new handicap system will fix that problem.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #2159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
The Boise Parks and Recreation closed all of their offices and sites including two golf courses in town. I hoped the courses would not be touched, but assume that they are trying to be consistent across all their sites. Bummer as one is a really fun course five minutes from my house. Many others are still open
I was looking forward to playing golf while we're all practicing social distancing, but my regular course-league play was just suspended for 2 weeks. And I just got a new driver shaft from a Club Champion fitting that I'm dying to try out. Bummer...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
That's my experience to, not unusual to see a high handicapper with a net score 6-7 strokes under par, of course a lot of them do meet the definition of sandbagging. Not so sure this new handicap system will fix that problem.
Sandbagging aside, it's generally easier for a higher handicap to go lower than a more consistent low handicap. I don't track my handicap but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 14. I have a good swing but I'm inconsistent. The bulk of my games are around 88 - 90 with 2- 4 triples, sometimes as high as 100 on a bad day. But on a good day I'll break 80.

Last fall in an informal work tournament I shot 83 on a very hard course (with an 8 on an easy par 4) and the winner (4 handicap) won with an 80. The previous day I shot 96 on a much easier course.
Closed Thread