Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #2161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I believe the old system did benefit the higher handicap player. I use to play in an annual two day tournament with about 40 players. My handicap ranged from 4 to 6 and I didn't have a chance in h*ll against the 20 to 30 handicap crowd. Each year I would have had to shoot 72 to 74 each day in order to win. Only twice did a player win with a low handicap over 10 years.
I always felt like it worked fine ,especially one on one. But in any tournament there's likely to be more high hdcp golfers than low ones and it only takes one to have a good round and that's it they're going to win. It's a lot easier for a 20 hdcp to shoot in the 80's than a scratch golfer shooting 64. I would think if you had a tournament with 100 players 50/50 high and low hdcps, while a high hdcp would likely win, more low cap guys would be in the top 20. Especially if the tournament is more than one round.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #2162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Sandbagging aside, it's generally easier for a higher handicap to go lower than a more consistent low handicap. I don't track my handicap but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 14. I have a good swing but I'm inconsistent. The bulk of my games are around 88 - 90 with 2- 4 triples, sometimes as high as 100 on a bad day. But on a good day I'll break 80.

Last fall in an informal work tournament I shot 83 on a very hard course (with an 8 on an easy par 4) and the winner (4 handicap) won with an 80. The previous day I shot 96 on a much easier course.
i played golds again today and started out with 2 doubles, all terrible short game shots - then I birdied two holes in a row finished with 3 birdies and a 40

back 9 I had a good side going to I decided to hit an iron off the tee on the last 4 holes - finished 6 over on the last 4 for a 44 with 3 penalty strokes

that 84 converted into a 17 index or something on GHIN
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #2163

Quote:
Sandbagging aside, it's generally easier for a higher handicap to go lower than a more consistent low handicap. I don't track my handicap but I'd guess I'm somewhere around 14. I have a good swing but I'm inconsistent. The bulk of my games are around 88 - 90 with 2- 4 triples, sometimes as high as 100 on a bad day. But on a good day I'll break 80.

Last fall in an informal work tournament I shot 83 on a very hard course (with an 8 on an easy par 4) and the winner (4 handicap) won with an 80. The previous day I shot 96 on a much easier course.
Breaking 80 as a 14 handicap is pretty good. I never broke 80 until I reached about a 10.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #2164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Breaking 80 as a 14 handicap is pretty good. I never broke 80 until I reached about a 10.
But the stars do align every once in a while. My 12-15 HI is about the same as Music's guestimate and my recent history breaking 80 is:
  • 2017- twice 77 & 79
  • 2018- zip
  • 2019- once 79
  • 2020- not yet (two 82's so far...)
Reminds me of a fav golf quote I heard Paul Goydos share - I'm too inconsistent to be bad all the time.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #2165

Quote:
So many different type players in a certain hdcp range. You have the guy who has a solid game but just can't putt (raises hand), if he has a lucky putting day he can go low for his hdcp. Other guys who maybe spray it a lot. Since they maybe play a tight course their hdcp is high. Put them on a wide open links course and they can score. And on and on.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #2166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The score by itself is not a good comparison unless you also include the course rating from the tees being played. There can easily be a >7 stroke difference on most golf courses when playing from the forward tees and the tips. At my home course the tips are 7200yds but they also have a way forward tee of 4500yds, a 12 stroke difference in the course rating. I would look at an 84 from the tips as a better score than a 75 from the forward tees.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #2167

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The score by itself is not a good comparison unless you also include the course rating from the tees being played. There can easily be a >7 stroke difference on most golf courses when playing from the forward tees and the tips. At my home course the tips are 7200yds but they also have a way forward tee of 4500yds, a 12 stroke difference in the course rating. I would look at an 84 from the tips as a better score than a 75 from the forward tees.
So true, 100% dependent on course and tees. For me, I remember in 2012 after hardly playing for about two years due to an elbow injury my average index was 11.8 and my average score was 14.1 and I never broke 80 that year.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #2168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
So many different type players in a certain hdcp range. You have the guy who has a solid game but just can't putt (raises hand), if he has a lucky putting day he can go low for his hdcp. Other guys who maybe spray it a lot. Since they maybe play a tight course their hdcp is high. Put them on a wide open links course and they can score. And on and on.
I've taken a few lessons...my instructor claims that my good swings are "very good". Most rounds I'll land 2 or 3 full iron shots inside 10 feet. I usually string 5 - 6 holes at even par every round. What does me in are a few wild shots, chunked chips, and occasional inconsistent putting.

It's quite common for me to play 6 holes 1 over par, then go 3 off the tee, miss the green, chunk a chip, then 3 putt for a quad. Then make a couple doubles. Then play the next 3 holes even followed by a triple, etc...
Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #2169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has your golfing been impacted by the virus? Not much change at my course except closing down the 19th hole, I always walk but now they don't insist that riders pair up in golf carts, seems like play has sped up a little.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #2170
Recycles dryer sheets

The club I play at the majority of the time is still open and trying to do all the right things. My only limitation is a knee injury that is finally feeling better.

Boise has two public courses and I saw yesterday that they had reopened one. I do not know why only one. The course that is still closed is the more interesting of the two and five minutes from my house. Dang it.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #2171

The governors have shut everything down in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. No golf for me. A quick golf now search yields one course open for walking in Delaware.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #2172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
The club I play at the majority of the time is still open and trying to do all the right things. My only limitation is a knee injury that is finally feeling better.

Boise has two public courses and I saw yesterday that they had reopened one. I do not know why only one. The course that is still closed is the more interesting of the two and five minutes from my house. Dang it.
probably because quail is much more difficult than warm dump lol

the senior group has me walking and carrying my clubs again - I think i've lost 20 pounds?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #2173
Give me a forum ...

Courses in Maryland are closed, but they are still open in Virginia.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #2174

Course in county closed, the one on base is still open. What they have done is put pieces of swim noodles around pin so ball goes in ~ 1/2 inch, easy to get out and no touching pins, Took all rakes away, smooth bunker with feet and told not to use ball washers... Blowing like a hurricane last Sunday and broke 80 (78) for first time in long time!!! Played really good, 10 1 putts , 2 birds and penalty for hitting one in water... So this Sunday i'll go out with EXPECTATIONS, that will kill me and i'll be back to low 80's again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #2175

Quote:
Has your golfing been impacted by the virus? Not much change at my course except closing down the 19th hole, I always walk but now they don't insist that riders pair up in golf carts, seems like play has sped up a little.
Courses are closed here in Mi.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #2176

Courses are all closed here in California.

I was already in the middle of a 5 week rest plan due to severe elbow pain. Rest 3 weeks, cortisone shot, rest another 2 weeks. My time is up and I'm ready to go, but now no golf courses.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #2177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I’m jealous. My regular club closed completely Monday before last (3/16), no reopen date. I miss golf, thought I’d be able to continue since social distancing is largely built in. And I just got a new driver shaft I’m dying to try out!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #2178
Give me a forum ...

Four of us played today... first time ever with a separate cart for each guy... we played in 3:28. Cups were down where we play today but where I played a couple days ago at a different course and the cups were 1/2" above the level of the green. Some courses have taken out ball washers, others not. Some still have water on the course, others not.
All have removed rakes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #2179
Recycles dryer sheets

And now we are closed with the Idaho governor's stay at home edict for the next 21 days. Bummer for golf. Bigger bummer for all those whose jobs are hurt.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #2180
Give me a forum ...

Played 9 today with my neighbor(separate carts). If our course remains open I plan to play with him or by myself for the next few weeks. Will miss my big golfing group but going to safe.
Closed Thread