Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #2221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Great round, congrats. I played today, not a good scoring day, but I always enjoy playing.
Thanks. The weather was beautiful here today which really made it a good day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #2222
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with this picture?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #2223

Quote:
not a good scoring day, but I always enjoy playing.
That pretty much sums up my golf experience.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #2224
Give me a forum ...

Last time I played was a Jeckl & Hyde round.... 38 (+2) on the front (after starting with 3 bogies) and then 50 on the back. My hopes of breaking 80 were dashed with a 9 on the par-5 10th hole.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 AM   #2225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It is interesting, but other than CA, Iíd guess the weather is making the decision for many. Itís not a difficult decision to close northern courses in Mar-Apr when traffic/revenue is slow, they may not stay closed in May...

Actually, in my area (DC-MD-VA), the golf courses stay open during the winter, only closing if the temperature drops below freezing or it if snows. This has been a realtively warm winter with little snow., I played golf at least once a week from November until the courses had to shut down.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #2226
Give me a forum ...

they opened the local munis - we are still open, walking only unless you own a cart. Tee sheet has been PACKED all month
Old 04-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #2227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
they opened the local munis - we are still open, walking only unless you own a cart. Tee sheet has been PACKED all month
Iíve had my eye on a couple push carts on Amazon. I was planning on walking this year in my league (9 holes). Every cart I had on my watch list is sold out. I guess a lot of people are going to be walking and social distancing. I hope I can get one of the ones I wanted before we start golfing again, but it doesnít look good.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #2228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’ve had my eye on a couple push carts on Amazon. I was planning on walking this year in my league (9 holes). Every cart I had on my watch list is sold out. I guess a lot of people are going to be walking and social distancing. I hope I can get one of the ones I wanted before we start golfing again, but it doesn’t look good.
I buy equipment from these guys - when I walk I almost always carry my bag. I do have an old push cart but I don't use it:

https://www.budgetgolf.com/golf-cart...tml?sort=price

https://www.tgw.com/golf-carts/golf-...ce:&pageSize:&
Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #2229
Give me a forum ...

I'm probably among the small percentage of golfers who prefer a pull cart to a push cart. I got mine at Goodwill for $10-15. Perhaps you can use an inexpensive used pull cart as an interim solution until you can find a push cart that you like.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #2230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm probably among the small percentage of golfers who prefer a pull cart to a push cart. I got mine at Goodwill for $10-15. Perhaps you can use an inexpensive used pull cart as an interim solution until you can find a push cart that you like.
Better hurry. Demand for used (and new) push or pull carts is undoubtedly increasing (I wouldn't sell mine at any price for the time being).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #2231

Quote:
Iíve had my eye on a couple push carts on Amazon. I was planning on walking this year in my league (9 holes). Every cart I had on my watch list is sold out. I guess a lot of people are going to be walking and social distancing. I hope I can get one of the ones I wanted before we start golfing again, but it doesnít look good.

A possible solution is a 4 wheel utility cart. It might not look pretty, but it would be functional.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #2232
Give me a forum ...

This reminded me of the Larry Bird/Michael Jordan McDonalds ad from way back when.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #2233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This reminded me of the Larry Bird/Michael Jordan McDonalds ad from way back when.

Outstanding, Iíd forgotten that one, thanks!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I buy equipment from these guys - when I walk I almost always carry my bag. I do have an old push cart but I don't use it:

https://www.budgetgolf.com/golf-cart...tml?sort=price

https://www.tgw.com/golf-carts/golf-...ce:&pageSize:&
Thanks. They do have a couple of the ones I have my eye on. I also remembered that Costco has one I was looking at. I'll have to make a decision and get on this if I want one this season.

ETA - I bought the Bag Boy Tri Swivel II from Budget Golf (thanks for the link). Being a first time purchase, they e-mailed me a code for 20% off. Plus the cart was on sale. It lists for $299, it was on sale for $199. With 10% off, I got it for $180 plus tax and free shipping. I'm happy

Now I just need the golf courses to open up and our league to start.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #2235

Wow, almost ten days and my last post is still the most current. Oh well, there's good news on the horizon. That woman from Michigan has revised the stay home order to allow GOLFING!!! I'm sure the courses will be packed, but I'm going to head out tomorrow with a friend and try to get in nine. We're not allowed to use carts so I'm very glad my push cart was delivered a few days ago. I'm all set. First round of the season.

I've also received word from the golf league that they're working out a framework to start the league up. Since it's a senior league (at risk individuals), they're aware the safety is a high consideration. I think the main thing they're trying to work out is the payment mechanism. We used to each go in and pay for our round just before our tee time. I'm thinking they will implement some form of touchless payment. Hopefully something on-line. That would be great. Personally, I wish they'd just collect a flat amount for the entire season. However, I understand that this season may be interrupted and many people would not want to risk a flat payment in such a unpredictable environment.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #2236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I'm thinking they will implement some form of touchless payment. ...
At one course that we play at the cashier does his thing and then you swipe your card at the counter.... at another one you push your card int0 the reader.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #2237
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just found out a few days ago that the golf courses in Sacramento County have been open. I started calling all the courses and they are so busy. I have a tee time on Wednesday. I'm so excited, I haven't played since mid February (took a month off due to elbow pain, then the shutdown).
Old 04-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #2238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, almost ten days and my last post is still the most current.
nothing to report - got a new 56 degree rtx3 CB wedge and love it - been playing or practicing about every day - course open for walking and personal carts - members only
Old 04-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #2239

Quote:
I've also received word from the golf league that they're working out a framework to start the league up. Since it's a senior league (at risk individuals), they're aware the safety is a high consideration.

All the golf courses in my area are open but won't allow any type of league play or events where groups might gather, 19th hole/restaurants are also closed.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
All the golf courses in my area are open but won't allow any type of league play or events where groups might gather, 19th hole/restaurants are also closed.
I think all they're trying to do is keep our normal time slot (Friday mornings) and do as much as possible to keep the league in tack. My guess is that will mean just showing up for your tee time, golfing and then recording your score from home. It will be interesting to see how this all folds out.