Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #2261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to say that I did miss the post-round socializing when I played this week. We normally have 12+/- golfers who play skins and low net round, then we have a drink in the clubhouse as we settle up. Can’t do that while under Covid restrictions. So, everyone just heads to their car and drives home; somewhat anticlimactic.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #2262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 We do compare scores in the parking lot and then head our separate ways. Pre-COVID we would have drinks and lunch together while tallying the scores.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #2263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How so? Please elaborate. I've played several rounds in separate carts and didn't notice much difference.
I'm not the golfer that likes to play solo, or paired with strangers. I enjoy playing purely for the time spent socializing and conversing with my friends who also play. This setup was not at all conducive to that, as my playing partner is even older and more cautious than I am; and we tend to hit in opposite directions. The course was also poorly maintained, which made OB much harder to deal with, and mask etiquette was a major distraction. I'm sure for many golfers, everything's almost normal. It just didn't feel right to me. I'll try again next Wednesday and see if my feelings change. If not, I'll stop playing for awhile.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #2264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Tried playing for the first tie in two months. My playing partner and I hated it. It takes away all the fun. Might try again next week, but separate carts and distancing changes the game for me.
Really? I've hardly noticed - we have these little spring loaded thingys now that pull the ball out of the cup for you instead of the sponge, back to normal

I prefer to ride in a cart alone as do most others at my club - 4 guys 4 carts that's golf baby!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #2265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I'm not the golfer that likes to play solo, or paired with strangers. I enjoy playing purely for the time spent socializing and conversing with my friends who also play. This setup was not at all conducive to that, as my playing partner is even older and more cautious than I am; and we tend to hit in opposite directions. The course was also poorly maintained, which made OB much harder to deal with, and mask etiquette was a major distraction. I'm sure for many golfers, everything's almost normal. It just didn't feel right to me. I'll try again next Wednesday and see if my feelings change. If not, I'll stop playing for awhile.
Golfers wore mask at your course? I haven't seen one golfer wear one around here. We ride alone and easily stay several feet away from each other. Don't see the need in an outdoor setting like this one.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #2266
Give me a forum ...

Around here they are requiring masks in the parking lot and on the first tee... but not from the first tee to the 18th.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #2267
Give me a forum ...

we've had more play this year than any time in the history of mankind - our tee sheet is generally full, daily, which is unheard of in April and May
Old 05-16-2020, 12:58 AM   #2268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Around here they are requiring masks in the parking lot and on the first tee... but not from the first tee to the 18th.
Masks not required at my course. They just reopened the pro shop, and I wear a mask in there, but leave it in my car once I’m ready to play. There’s no way I’d wear a mask to play golf. Social distancing is almost automatic playing, and I haven’t had anyone forgot and try to shake hands, high five or fist bump in months.

One of the guys I play with tagged into a threesome a few days ago and they kept pulling the pin. He politely told them the course didn’t want players to touch the pins, but they kept doing it. We don’t touch them so whatever.

I did take a wash cloth and rubbing alcohol to wipe down my cart just as a precaution - maybe unnecessary but one less thing to wonder about.

Our league is restarting on May 27, but we’re restricted to 32-40 players once a week (cart availability I assume) where we had up to 60 twice a week before coronavirus. We’ve gone from shotgun start to tee times to promote social distancing, arriving and departing at different times instead of all at once. Team & individual score, and closest to the pin $ prizes are suspended - I’m told some regular players aren’t interested in our league without the $5 ante and prizes, guess we’ll see. And no getting together to swap lies over a beer after will be missed. But some league is better than none for now IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #2269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I did take a wash cloth and rubbing alcohol to wipe down my cart just as a precaution - maybe unnecessary but one less thing to wonder about. DW and I keep hand sanitizer in our cars and use it often - again why not for now.
I keep hand sanitizer in my car too and a bottle in my golf bag. No reason not to be safe. I never owned a bottle of the stuff prior to the pandemic. Ha.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #2270
Give me a forum ...

[mod edit] (quoted posts deleted - duplicates)

[masks] aren't required at our club either
Old 05-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #2271
Give me a forum ...

here are those spring loaded thingys I was talking about

this is how you get rich people - just invent something like this right before a pandemic

https://sports.yahoo.com/golfers-stu...034503707.html
Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #2272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I keep hand sanitizer in my car too and a bottle in my golf bag. No reason not to be safe. I never owned a bottle of the stuff prior to the pandemic. Ha.
Neither did we. And we agree why not take the precaution now. Always viewed Purell as an over-reaction. We do need to keep our immune systems up after all. But SARS-CoV-2 has changed our beliefs for now at least.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #2273
Recycles dryer sheets

Big_Hitter, those are sweet.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #2274
Give me a forum ...

tough game...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98204333_10157195343312108_610580389114675200_o.jpg (143.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #2275
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, wow. Travel forums are my thing, now this...I'm going to have to introduce DH to this thread.

Guess where he is now??

I'll never lose that man to another woman but I MIGHT lose him to golf. Naw, it's good, I support it (and may even get back into it when we retire)

For about 10 years we belonged to a small inexpensive "country club" (I use that term loosely, but it was in the name). $1800/yr for a family for a par 3 18 hole golf course, 2 pools, tennis court (and public restaurant). It was wonderful when the children were younger. And I loved the couples events. But sadly they sold half of it to a retirement development (ironic...). And sadly the other half (with the pools, courts & restaurant) still sits.

DH joined an executive course on the nicest non-country club course in town. It is public but not city owned. He has league there 1x/wk on the regular course plus league on a city course 1x/wk. For about the same price as he paid for his individual membership at our original club.

Makes me realize we need to research golf options in Vegas as well as homes...
Old 05-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
tough game...
Wow. Geese can be aggressive. He must have gotten too close to goslings or a nest without knowing it. I know they’re pretty fearless when I’ve had to shoo them on golf courses. And they leave a mess...

Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #2277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post

Makes me realize we need to research golf options in Vegas as well as homes...
you may be in for some sticker shock - I've heard golf is really expensive in vegas.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #2278
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you may be in for some sticker shock - I've heard golf is really expensive in vegas.
He has golfed there & would agree but luckily he isn't very picky. Definitely need to do that research--could impact WHERE we buy!
Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #2279
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played today in the mud at my local course. Walked 18 and was soaked just due to wet ground and a light mist. They actually let foursomes go with two in a cart today. I shot 81 with 2 doubles on the back. Good enough to win some closest to the hole money on a par 3. It's great to be back on the course.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #2280
Give me a forum ...

Played with friends at a course in PA. I last played this a couple of days after they were allowed to re-open, more than a month ago.

At the time, masks were required in the clubhouse, the staff wore masks, plexiglass between you and the cashier, no need to sign the receipt, single person in a cart (unless you chose otherwise), large foam rings in holes to keep balls from going in, many people walking the course and doing the best to avoid each other.

Today, there was still plexiglass between you and the cashier. Other than that, everyone seemed to think they were immune to the virus. None of the staff was wearing masks, and other than our group of three we did not see anyone else going in and out wearing a mask. No one was choosing to social distance inside, and seemed surprised at us trying to avoid going near them. The course was now assessing $20 surcharge (as compared to the senior green fees of $30) if you wanted a cart by yourself, unless they chose not to put someone else with you. I got a single cart as the other two I was with were related, and fortunately for me there were no single golfers waiting at our tee time so no surcharge.

My highlight of the day was getting a birdie on a par 4 from 140 yards out, after an awful second shot that went sideways and ended up among trees. It was one of those unintentional low line drives that kept bouncing and bouncing and rolled onto the green, which had a front pin placement, and the ball stopped literally leaning against the flagstick.