Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #2421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I try to be pleasant and courteous always. I compliment good shots as often as possible, but I don't say anything that might get into another players head - to the good or bad. I am not a trash talker on the course, my groups tend to confine trash talking outside actual rounds of golf (a good idea IMO). But are there things one can say or do when someone in the foursome is really having an unusually bad day that are certain to help or at least do no harm? Had such a round last week with a player who’s putting totally abandoned him, I wasn’t counting but he said he had 5-6 3-putts, and he’s usually a decent (or better) putter. He wasn’t angry, but confused and disappointed - and he’s capable of breaking 70! I’ve played with other regulars who’s swing abandoned them as well, versus putting. I’d love to know anything that might help.
I'm not sure how helpful it is but, I usually either compliment their good shots to encourage them or, say what works for me when I'm having similar problems or, both. I think the key thing is to not let your mind beat you; don't become discouraged. So, I try to help my playing partners avoid that state; easier said than done, especially with oneself.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #2422

Quote:
Had such a round last week with a player who’s putting totally abandoned him, I wasn’t counting but he said he had 5-6 3-putts, and he’s usually a decent (or better) putter. He wasn’t angry, but confused and disappointed - and he’s capable of breaking 70! I’ve played with other regulars who’s swing abandoned them as well, versus putting. I’d love to know anything that might help.
That's the nature of golf, everyone goes through bad day(s), even the pros. It can be hard to work out problems during a round, best to spend some time on the range or putting green. When I'm having an off day the last thing I want to hear is advice from someone I'm playing with.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #2423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From another thread.

I’ve seen rakes on a couple courses so far, but that’s all - still foam inserts and no ball washers or trash cans. Most sand traps are a mess, so we all move our balls if we land in foot marks or otherwise disturbed sand.

And my regular course has become more militant about single riders as a result of the pandemic. At first they insisted on one per (riding) cart with no up charge. Then after a few months they allowed two riders, no up charge if carts available. Now it’s a $16 up charge for a single cart, NO exceptions. Last year if we had two riders and two walkers there was no up charge on the (two) carts. There is now!

We play an away course almost every week. Masks are required in pro shops and clubhouses in or near urban areas, no surprise. Away from urban areas, masks are not required in most pro shops/clubhouses, even openly discouraged at some courses At one in Shelby NC one of my partners walked up to pay (wearing a mask) and the guy behind the counter with no mask started a conversation about how stupid masks are and why he won’t wear one - a new dimension in customer service...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #2424
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514
Snow here in Wisconsin has taken away all the fun golfing....boo...so I have been practicing my putting in basement and have found that the claw grip seems to work a bit better , at least for the time being...anyone else out here us the claw and if so has it helped...I know its all confidence , but still..
Old 12-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #2425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514 View Post
Snow here in Wisconsin has taken away all the fun golfing....boo...so I have been practicing my putting in basement and have found that the claw grip seems to work a bit better , at least for the time being...anyone else out here us the claw and if so has it helped...I know its all confidence , but still..
I've never tried the claw grip, but if it quiets your wrists , I am sure it would help (me at least). The less my wrists are involved, the better I putt.

And putting is all about confidence. I've run through streaks when I didn't believe I could make putts (and didn't), and a golf buddy of mine is going through it right now - from an above average putter to five or six 3-putts in a round. I've watched him turn a 10 foot birdie try into a double bogey several times lately, hard for all of us to watch but nothing any of us can do to help.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #2426

Quote:
At one in Shelby NC one of my partners walked up to pay (wearing a mask) and the guy behind the counter with no mask started a conversation about how stupid masks are and why he won’t wear one - a new dimension in customer service...
The Shelby Dynasty lives on!
Old 12-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #2427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514 View Post
About 6 years ago I was getting yips over shorter putts so I started using side saddle putting for shorter ones and it worked well so I use it for most putts now... even from off the green... with side saddle I find that my distance control is much better and I can leave a lot of long puts within that mystical 2-3' circle. For longer putts my main focus is on distance control... with side saddle you are typically pretty much on line unless you misread a swinger so distance control is the key factor to getting within the circle and every so often they just go in the hole (some days more than others it seems).

I use a conventional length putter with a conventional girth grip. My left palm is actually on top of the putter and my right hand grabs the shaft. I line up the putter lines with the intended line and my feet also point along the intended line. Usually the ball is about even with the front part of my right foot. Then I swing the club back and then forward. Very similr to the woman in the video.

For shorter putts...inside 10'... I'll focus on a few blades of grass or a spot at or near the cup and will not look at the ball. For longer putts I focus on the ball.

I have a lot of confidence in being able to get down in two from just about anywhere on the green... my bigger issue is getting on in regulation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #2428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
How was your golf year ?

Slow but fairly steady improvement. I played 95 rounds of golf, and for he first time every one of them was under 100. My tee shots have definitely improved, and my close in irons game (< 120 yards) is much more consistent. On my home course I am now shooting between mid-80s and low 90s, with an 80 as my best score for the year.

Now I am looking at getting new clubs. I am still playing "cheap" starter clubs (Calloway Strata), but am looking at going for a fitting (blow hat dough!) and seeing what the recommendation is.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
About 6 years ago I was getting yips over shorter putts so I started using side saddle putting for shorter ones and it worked well so I use it for most putts now... even from off the green... with side saddle I find that my distance control is much better and I can leave a lot of long puts within that mystical 2-3' circle. For longer putts my main focus is on distance control... with side saddle you are typically pretty much on line unless you misread a swinger so distance control is the key factor to getting within the circle and every so often they just go in the hole (some days more than others it seems).

I use a conventional length putter with a conventional girth grip. My left palm is actually on top of the putter and my right hand grabs the shaft. I line up the putter lines with the intended line and my feet also point along the intended line. Usually the ball is about even with the front part of my right foot. Then I swing the club back and then forward. Very similr to the woman in the video.

For shorter putts...inside 10'... I'll focus on a few blades of grass or a spot at or near the cup and will not look at the ball. For longer putts I focus on the ball.

I have a lot of confidence in being able to get down in two from just about anywhere on the green... my bigger issue is getting on in regulation.

I play with a guy who putts side saddle. It works well for him. He putts very quickly and doesn't grind over putts at all.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #2430
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, there are a few of us out there. At our club, only me and one other guy that I know of. I heard a rumor that Bryson Dechambeau was going to put sidesaddle on the PGA Tour a few years ago and for some unknown reason the PGA discouraged him from doing so.

Quote:
Friday at the Honda Classic, he pointed the finger directly at the United States Golf Association when asked about his decision to abandon the stroke.

“It [was] a long conversation,” DeChambeau said after a 71 to miss the cut by four shots. “But the USGA essentially doesn’t like me doing it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #2431

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Probably close to the # of rounds you played this year, usually play 3 times a week. Are you a member of a club in Scottsdale? Just got back from a week in Scottsdale, been going there for ~25 years, and the golf prices are the highest I've ever seen with very few deals to be found. What I would consider to be average golf courses for that area were near the $100 range. In the past could always find decent deals on teeoff or golfnow but not much available this time. There were some decent prices on the west side near Luke AFB but didn't feel like traveling that far. Stayed next to the Kierland golf course and it seemed to be busy the whole time.
I'm at a private club in North Scottsdale. Heard that most courses around here had record round numbers this season. Nothing else to do but golf I guess!!
Old 12-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #2432
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stolen from elsewhere:

"If you think about it, the goal of golf is actually to play as little golf as possible."
Old 12-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #2433
Give me a forum ...

I putt with a longish putter one that is just a little shorter than the old belly models. It helps me to see the line better by standing taller. Another thing that has helped is using a slight forward press to start the stroke. I doubt any of my playing partners even notices me doing it but it does help in pulling the trigger.

Played today and scored well. Shot 77 with one birdie but I made a lot of par saving putts. Warm enough to wear shorts for my final round of the year.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #2434
Give me a forum ...

finally broke 80 on 12/21 - HNY everyone!

btw DW got me an infrared heating pad for xmas that's "cured" my sciatica - YMMV
Old 12-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #2435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I'm at a private club in North Scottsdale. Heard that most courses around here had record round numbers this season. Nothing else to do but golf I guess!!
our club had just over 100% more play than last year, and with everyone taking a single cart, the course is pretty beat up; we need the break

since I retired I got in about 4 rounds a week this year, plus league and some tournaments
Old 12-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #2436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
finally broke 80 on 12/21 - HNY everyone!
Congrats, nice way to finish the year!

Closed Thread