Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love links golf!

Bandon trip has one day to go.

Got in Saturday 1:00 pm. Played the Preserve, a 13 hole par 3 course, and did the " punch bowl", a putting green with 36+ holes on it.

Played 36 Sunday, Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails, followed by 18 at Pacific Trails Monday, with a massage after Monday's round. Finish up with Old Mac today.

Have had same caddy for all three rounds (just carried ourselves/pushcart on par 3), who does great job reading greens, telling you where to hit it.

Food is OK, but it's great having everything right here, vs going to Scotland where you've got to spend a lot of time in transit.

Rates this time of year are $100 for par 3, $270 for others, but we are only paying 1/2 that as the guy who organized has some sort of connection. Caddies get $100 per bag per 18.

Weather has been mid 60's, sunny, with wind to 15-20 mph, although today has chance of rain.

Oh, and I'm playing as good as I ever have, shooting 73-75-74 so far. First two days, I virtually hit everything where the caddy told me (16 greens in the 73), and scrambled like crazy, making everything inside 10 feet in the third round.

Highly recommend if you have a group of guys who really really love golf.

Great to hear you're having such a good trip, and playing so well!

I'm jealous of the great scores.

My caddie was from Texas, he did a great job.

well we ham and egged it last night for 7.5 points and second place in league, yay for the sort of end to golf season - the RXV started making a bad grinding sounds though - good timing!

I need a golf cart to get me too/from the club so I don't have to drive my car

I think it's a wheel bearing - I'm going to have the gc place check it out next week $25 P&D can't beat that

Watching the playoff Fed Ex w Ryan Moore and Rory. If Rory wins, he gets the $10mm bonus. If Moore wins, Dustin Johnson gets the $10mm. Think Rory should say, "hey Ryan, want to make a cool $5mm? Let me win, we'll split the 10mm." Good thing the game, and the players, have integrity.

Last edited:
Actually, Rory got greedy and made that birdie putt so he could keep the whole $10 mil to himself.... plus the $3 mil for winning the weekend tournament.

great matches. I was in the 19th hole when reed and mcilroy made those long birdie putts. i almost spilled my diet coke

About f****** time! The Europeans were getting way too smug from their past success.

Those first 9 holes between Rory and Reed was the best and most fun to watch golf I've ever seen!

+1

It was nice to see the USA win again. I was lucky enough to be @ Valhalla the last time we won, and 8 yrs is too long to wait. The crowds this year were amazing!

anyone still playing? I shot an 84 with a few bad holes sunday at a local muni - I played match with my boss and he's decided to quit golf, no joke

played 7 hoes last night and hit 5 greens - two 3 jacks :eek:

got my cart out of the shop and it's running great, $1400 parts and labor later it should be - no more gear whine, I think I'll keep this cart until it dies again

We're still playing. The club closes at the end of October but some diehards will continue to play in November either at home on temporary greens or away at courses that remain open until mid-late November. We'll be leaving for Florida in a couple weeks so golf will be year round for us now. :dance:

I had an 87 yesterday (41/46) which is a pretty good day for for me - 4 under net.

^ good round!

the reason my index is so high is that my home course is probably the most difficult in the area (137 slope from the blue tees) - lots of people won't join the club because the course is so hard. so that 84 I shot on the muni was about a net 5 under (yes I posted it)

The handicap does travel well

What Bob Toski Tells Young Players - Golf Digest

When in Bandon, I played against Gary Battersby, co author with Bob Toski of the above article in this months Golf Digest.

I like playing against players better than me. With Gary, I shot 73-75 on Dunes and Trails, walking 36 in one day.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to his instructions with some of the other players, but did notice he was talking a lot about your hands, as is the focus of the above article.

His book, Golf Mystic, has to do with mental part of game, I think.

He told me he once played a competitive round, shooting 74, playing every shot with his eyes closed!

Last edited:
the reason my index is so high is that my home course is probably the most difficult in the area (137 slope from the blue tees) - lots of people won't join the club because the course is so hard. so that 84 I shot on the muni was about a net 5 under (yes I posted it)

The handicap does travel well

Maybe I'm missing your point but your handicap shouldn't be higher just because you play at a difficult course, assuming the course rating/slope is set correctly for the course. The course rating/slope is used when calculating your handicap so someone who averages a 90 at a difficult course could have the same or possible lower handicap then someone who averages an 84 at an easy course.

Maybe I'm missing your point but your handicap shouldn't be higher just because you play at a difficult course, assuming the course rating/slope is set correctly for the course. The course rating/slope is used when calculating your handicap so someone who averages a 90 at a difficult course could have the same or possible lower handicap then someone who averages an 84 at an easy course.

we have water and/or OB on every shot, all 18 holes

I think the difficulty definitely impacts the index, whether or not it should :eek:

when I was a member at Hearthstone in Houston I was down to a 10 or 11 - I'd lose my a$$ at crane creek if I carried that index

Still playing here in Scottsdale. Lots of courses closed for over seeding but many others still have their Bermuda or are already seeded. Our course has been closed all summer as we replaced our greens. They won't let us back on till December 1. They are looking good though!

we have water and/or OB on every shot, all 18 holes

I think the difficulty definitely impacts the index, whether or not it should :eek:

when I was a member at Hearthstone in Houston I was down to a 10 or 11 - I'd lose my a$$ at crane creek if I carried that index

I'm not familiar with your courses but you need to adjust your handicap based on the course you're playing and the slope rating of the tees you're playing. Maybe a 20 handicap at Hearthstone would play to a 24 at Crane Creek if their is a big difference in the slope rating.

Course handicap= Handicap Index X Slope Rating/113

I'm not familiar with your courses but you need to adjust your handicap based on the course you're playing and the slope rating of the tees you're playing. Maybe a 20 handicap at Hearthstone would play to a 24 at Crane Creek if their is a big difference in the slope rating.

Course handicap= Handicap Index X Slope Rating/113

I enter all my stuff through GHIN - course handicaps vary based on index

I'm just saying that CC is a really difficult course - when I joined 5 years ago I never thought I'd break 90 on it

First time to post to this thread. Played twice in the last 10 days. First time out in four years. Wow, weekdays are great. Start at 0800 and home by 1215. Nice! Got excited and bought a used set of Taylormade R7 irons, draw weighed and gave away my McGregor Heritage irons I bought in '87. Lost the 6 iron at Texas City municipal in the late 80s. Score typical for me, around 100. Had two birdies and two pars yesterday. Two birdies in the span of three holes was exciting! DW is already seeing the golf spectre arise again. Got to keep it in check. One round and one range session per week.

The phone apps for distance are amazing. First time out with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom