Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still playing 3X a week down here in SE AZ. Usually mid 40's when we start, low 60's when we finish. Don't mind the 40's at all as long as the suns out and no wind which is typical for this time of year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #702

Finally happened. Did a "Tiger Woods", and withdrew from our Club Championship (which I won 3 short years ago).

My buldging disc bulged out after Thanksgiving. Took almost 2 months off, doing PT quite rigorously, started playing two weeks ago. Practiced short game a decent amount. Only played 3 times, but was closer to shooting in 90's than 70's, and after my 88 today (Thursday), decided to withdraw from the two day tournament scheduled for this weekend.

I'm not sure if my badness is just due to not playing, or physically not being able to play. But it's quite depressing. I've always been enjoyed playing competitively. I knew a day would come when I could no longer play as well as I used to, and I guess making it to 62 with a 3 handicap, which was as low as I ever was, is pretty good.

Maybe I'll be back. But right now I don't really give a crap whether I do or not.

I wish I just felt like the guy in the commercial that throws a tantrum, saying how much he hates the game, and then when everyone is in the car, he says, same time tomorrow? But I feel more like taking up any other expensive, time consuming, waste of time than returning to golf.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

were you hitting bad shots or did you just explode on a few holes?

maybe take a lesson?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #704
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear about the demise of your golf game. It's supposed to be 75 degrees out today--in Illinois in February! I already told my secretary and my family to not expect to see me today! The greens are calling!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #705

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Finally happened. Did a "Tiger Woods", and withdrew from our Club Championship (which I won 3 short years ago).

My buldging disc bulged out after Thanksgiving. Took almost 2 months off, doing PT quite rigorously, started playing two weeks ago. Practiced short game a decent amount. Only played 3 times, but was closer to shooting in 90's than 70's, and after my 88 today (Thursday), decided to withdraw from the two day tournament scheduled for this weekend.

I'm not sure if my badness is just due to not playing, or physically not being able to play. But it's quite depressing. I've always been enjoyed playing competitively. I knew a day would come when I could no longer play as well as I used to, and I guess making it to 62 with a 3 handicap, which was as low as I ever was, is pretty good.

Maybe I'll be back. But right now I don't really give a crap whether I do or not.

I wish I just felt like the guy in the commercial that throws a tantrum, saying how much he hates the game, and then when everyone is in the car, he says, same time tomorrow? But I feel more like taking up any other expensive, time consuming, waste of time than returning to golf.
G-

Sorry to hear about the spate of bad golf. I can attest that your swing was still pretty sweet when we played together in November. I don't think a person's game just completely disappears like that, except for traumatic injury so, I'd guess it's just a matter of recovery time and practice to get back to (or close to) your old form. You may not win your club championship again but, hey...there's already one of those plaques on your locker. So, in the immortal words of Carl Spackler...'you got that going for ya.'
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #706

Having a bad day once in awhile is all part of golf, I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure just coming back from a back injury didn't help, sounds to me like you just need a few more rounds to get it back. Now for Tiger Woods and his back issues, my opinion is he's finished and I wouldn't be surprised if he stops playing competitively after the latest set back.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #707

It's not Tuesday, but I just had to share. Got my 2017 Masters tickets in the mail today! Can almost taste those pimiento cheese sandwiches already.

They are practice round tickets that I won in the ticket lottery, if anyone's wondering. It'll be nice to be able to snap a few photos while walking around the grounds this time, to commemorate the occasion.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #708
Give me a forum ...

Cool. I didn't get any tickets this year (first year that I tried)... but I'll keep trying until I get them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
It's not Tuesday, but I just had to share. Got my 2017 Masters tickets in the mail today! Can almost taste those pimiento cheese sandwiches already.

They are practice round tickets that I won in the ticket lottery, if anyone's wondering. It'll be nice to be able to snap a few photos while walking around the grounds this time, to commemorate the occasion.
I got mine yesterday, but going to sell them. My group fell and I'm not motivated enough to find others to join me. I've been 7 or 8 times so not disappointed in missing out this year. If you are a golfer, it's a course you want to see at least once. Awesome place.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #710
Recycles dryer sheets

Hole In One!!!!! Playing with some friends. 8. iron from 126 yards. How sweet it is!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #711

Quote:

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Hole In One!!!!! Playing with some friends. 8. iron from 126 yards. How sweet it is!
Double Congrats!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #712
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I think I'd prefer to get practice round tickets for the reason you mention, more relaxed, cameras OK.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Cool. I didn't get any tickets this year (first year that I tried)... but I'll keep trying until I get them.
Hope you have better luck than I've had, I've been putting my name in the ticket lottery since 2011 and have come up with a goose egg every year.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tell us more! How much was the bar bill? I have always said that I would be glad to pay the bar bill for the thrill of getting a hole in one.

Closest that I have come is about 4" on a long 190 yd par 3... we thought it was going in but it stopped just off to the side... nothing wrong with tap in birdies though!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #715
Recycles dryer sheets

The bar bill was only $6.50! the only people in the clubhouse were the four of us and I get an employee discount because I'm a ranger at that course.

As we drove up to the ninth tee, I asked the guy I was riding with and playing against, "If I get a hole in one, do I beat you for this nine?" He said, "It all depends on what I do." He proceeded to hit his ball ten feet from the hole. I thought to myself, "Oh, great, now I have to get inside his ball." I hit it clean, it bounced once and "thunk". One of the guys yelled, Where did it go?" I yelled, "It's in the hole!" The guy I was playing against missed his putt and I beat him.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #716
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Congrats ! What course and hole?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #717
Recycles dryer sheets

Governor's Run in Carlyle, IL. Ninth hole.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #718
Give me a forum ...

Played golf yesterday with an older group of guys(pushing 70). They all play from the super senior tees which is about 5,800 yards. The next level is around 6,200 which is what I normally play. But played their tees just to speed up play. It certainly helped my score as I shot a 71 with a double on the final hole. Made a poor decision that cost me. But the thing that excited me the most about the round is I had a good day putting. I have really struggled the last couple of years getting the ball in the hole, yanking a lot of short putts to the left. But switched to Phil Milkerson's claw grip style. I've tried it before with fair success, but I really concentrated on rocking my shoulders and that helped in preventing the yank. But as all golfers know......what works one day can be gone the next.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Played golf yesterday with an older group of guys(pushing 70). They all play from the super senior tees which is about 5,800 yards. The next level is around 6,200 which is what I normally play. But played their tees just to speed up play. It certainly helped my score as I shot a 71 with a double on the final hole. Made a poor decision that cost me. But the thing that excited me the most about the round is I had a good day putting. I have really struggled the last couple of years getting the ball in the hole, yanking a lot of short putts to the left. But switched to Phil Milkerson's claw grip style. I've tried it before with fair success, but I really concentrated on rocking my shoulders and that helped in preventing the yank. But as all golfers know......what works one day can be gone the next.
Hmmmm. Maybe I should try the senior tees, as my latest score was definitely going in the wrong direction.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #720
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Hmmmm. Maybe I should try the senior tees, as my latest score was definitely going in the wrong direction.
When I was a kid I had an 8' basketball goal. Made it a lot more fun. It's all about having fun so the sr tees work for me. Plus I'm a senior. I actually play the other tees too just to change it up.
Closed Thread