Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Seems to be a common problem as we age. Currently I'm the designated ball watcher for some in the group I play with but I'm sure my time will come.
Except that I have not been golfing for decades!!!

It was a problem when I was young..... my eyesight is not anywhere near good.... but I am supposed to see well with the glasses... just cannot follow a small white object in the sky... especially when I do not know where it is going..... if I were a better golfer, at least I would kinda know where it was going when I hit it and could find it....

BTW, I am not as bad as I make out.... I did see over 90% of my balls... maybe 95%....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post

Yep, completely legal! It's called hitting a "provisional ball". Thought you were going to say it was in the hole, but close!!

I wish.... it was within a foot of the pin..... never had one that close before so I never thought to look

I played double bogey golf.... so a bogey was good for me and a par was rare.... I have ONE birdie.... I know that is not great with good golf players, but for me... good...

Now, I will put up my bowling scores as I was good at that.... not great, but good....
Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
If you are retired and an avid golfer, can you share your golf practice/round routine? How often do you practice, and play? I plan to play 3 - 4 rounds per week, and practice 5 - 6 times per week. Too much?
Typically play 18 on Tuesdays with some other retired guys at our club, 18 with a traveling group of retired guys on Thursdays and 9 with DW and other couples on Sunday afternoons. Also sneak in 18 with BIL every once in a while.

Practice.... what's that?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you are retired and an avid golfer, can you share your golf practice/round routine? How often do you practice, and play? I plan to play 3 - 4 rounds per week, and practice 5 - 6 times per week. Too much?
I just hit a few balls, putts, chips before playing to warm up, play 3X a week. The practice facility where I play sucks plus it's a little bit of a drive to get there so I have little motivation to practice. If I lived in a golf community with nice practice facilities I'm sure I could find a reason to practice more but not 5-6X per week.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I play about 4 days per week (OK sometimes 5) and will practice pretty regularly (2-3 times per week) early in the season (April, May). Typical practice session will be about an hour and include 2 of the following 3: full swing practice, short game practice, putting.

During full swing practice I focus on the fundamentals: grip, alignment, and getting into certain key positions during the course of the swing.

Putting practice includes many reps of a ladder drill for speed control and lots of putts from 3-4 feet because you have to make those. On the short putts I work on keeping my head down until the ball is in the hole - I have a tendency to peek and miss right.

Short game practice - our short game green has 3 pin locations. First I practice chipping - one ball to each hole with the GW, one to each hole with the SW. Move to a new position and repeat. After a few minutes of that (20 or so balls) I move to open face chips - same routine. After that, flop shots, same routine. To finish I start from about 30 yards out and hit 4 balls to one target (2 with the GW and 2 with the SW). Then move back in 5 yard increments and repeat until I run out of range (about 65 yards).

When I am playing a lot my warm-up sessions include 10-15 minutes on the full swing (Basically start with wedge and move up every other club through the bag). For putting I take 3 balls and putt each to a different target, holing out the 2nd putt (5-8 minutes). Chipping OR pitching - I do a shortened version of the short game practice routine, either chipping or pitching (5-8 minutes). So total warmup time is about 20-30 minutes and I've hit just about every shot that I will need on the course.

This week illustrates my basic problem, however. I really struggle taking my swing to the course. I went out Monday and worked on the full swing. Discovered I had fallen into my usual bad habit of aligning left of the target. Got everything straightened up and was hitting the most beautiful little draw with every club in the bag. Went to the course on Tuesday and the draw was still there on the range but, on the course, I was hitting a weak little fade. And today I had the draw for 9 holes and then it just vanished.

Sorry this is so long - my buddies are not practicers and don't want to here about this.
Golf
Old 10-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

Golf

I play twice a week and hitting balls and chip twice a week. I live less than two miles from two courses and a driving range. Love the game by the way I had my 2nd hole in one 10/11/2015 in the great state of Michigan. First one in Florida 19 years ago!!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

I've kept track of the number of holes this year and last. At this time of year in 2014 I had played 1161 holes. This year 684. That's what you get with a frozen shoulder and a thrown out back while moving cr*p. The weather looks decent for the next couple of weeks so I will try to make up a little ground.

And congrats to golfersailor for your hole in one! Very cool. I have never had one. 5" was probably the closest on a par 3, 130 yards. My wife after playing for 14 months had one. It was either a mishit or the best struck ball ever as it was a line drive that rolled 50% of the 90'ish yards and into the hole.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I hit a bucket of balls this morning just to keep rust off the clubs. But I don't play as much as when I first retired. I was playing 4 times a week. Now average not quite 2 full rounds a week. Will probably get out of my club first of the year and pay green fees. Will come out way ahead.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersailor View Post
I play twice a week and hitting balls and chip twice a week. I live less than two miles from two courses and a driving range. Love the game by the way I had my 2nd hole in one 10/11/2015 in the great state of Michigan. First one in Florida 19 years ago!!
Congrats on the HIOs, I've had two myself both witnessed and both really shitty shots that just happened to find the hole.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I witnessed my first one this year. Quite lucky actually... my neighbor landed on the left side of a left to right sloping green... rolled towards the cup at a "brisk" pace... ball hit the pin and dropped. Funny thing was that we had just been talking about how none of us had had a HIO or even witnessed one a couple holes earlier.

I've had two close calls. One earlier this summer on that very same hole my neighbor had the HIO. My tee shot had a lower than planned trajectory (ok... I skulled it a bit)... hit the right side of the hole and wrapped around the cup an exited the cup the way it came in. The other was many ears ago on a long par 3 where my hybrid shot ended up 6" from the cup.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #91

Speaking of keeping track of holes...one of the guys I play with set the Guiness World Book record in 2012 with 812 1/2 18 hole rounds in one calendar year.

After I found out who he was, while he was going for the record in 2012, I saw him at our noon game and asked if he'd already played a round. He said no, two.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Speaking of keeping track of holes...one of the guys I play with set the Guiness World Book record in 2012 with 812 1/2 18 hole rounds in one calendar year.

After I found out who he was, while he was going for the record in 2012, I saw him at our noon game and asked if he'd already played a round. He said no, two.
Wow, it's hard to imagine the fun in that, that would make golf seem more like a job (and you don't get paid). I know a few players at my club that judge a successful round of golf by not what their score was but by how long it took them to play. I'm guessing he would be in that group.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Congrats on the HIOs, I've had two myself both witnessed and both really shitty shots that just happened to find the hole.
I've had two also. Both were decent shots that went in. I'm due for another one - last one was in 2009

Hole 7 at Memorial park GC in Houston.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #94

I guess my first one really wasn't all that bad, I knew I had hit the green and was picking up my tee when my partner yelled it was going in the hole. I looked up just in time to see it disappear in the hole. My second HOI was a skulled 7 wood, worm burner that struck the flag stick and dropped straight down. A foursome on the next hole tee box went kind of crazy jumping up and down and motioning to me that it dropped the hole. Best thing about it I was playing with my former boss and he had paid for the green fees.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

My HIO was on tax day a few years ago. A 7 iron that took three bounces and dropped right in. The best part was that one of the witnesses is a guy who is loaded with $ and plays a lot of golf and buys expensive equipment, but has never had a HIO! That made mine so much sweeter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

With all this talk about HIO.... does anybody remember the people who got over on the sports betting places in the UK

Someone had looked and found out that there is someone in the field that shoots a HIO in half of the tournaments.... so they went and got odds on that bet... BIG odds... and bet a lot of small dollars all over so nobody would see what was happening.... when it hit, they won big time....

Some of the books paid.... some sued so they did not have to pay... do not know what happened in the end....

Looked some of it up.... at least one article....

Hole in One Betting - Factors Involved in Profitable Betting on a Hole in One at a Major Golf Tournament

Found another.... seems they did not get paid on all the bets....

http://www.bookmakers1.com/holeinonegang.html
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #97

Quote:
My practice is very similar to JJ's, as described below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I play about 4 days per week (OK sometimes 5) and will practice pretty regularly (2-3 times per week) early in the season (April, May). Typical practice session will be about an hour and include 2 of the following 3: full swing practice, short game practice, putting.

During full swing practice I focus on the fundamentals: grip, alignment, and getting into certain key positions during the course of the swing.

Putting practice includes many reps of a ladder drill for speed control and lots of putts from 3-4 feet because you have to make those. On the short putts I work on keeping my head down until the ball is in the hole - I have a tendency to peek and miss right.

Short game practice - our short game green has 3 pin locations. First I practice chipping - one ball to each hole with the GW, one to each hole with the SW. Move to a new position and repeat. After a few minutes of that (20 or so balls) I move to open face chips - same routine. After that, flop shots, same routine. To finish I start from about 30 yards out and hit 4 balls to one target (2 with the GW and 2 with the SW). Then move back in 5 yard increments and repeat until I run out of range (about 65 yards).

When I am playing a lot my warm-up sessions include 10-15 minutes on the full swing (Basically start with wedge and move up every other club through the bag). For putting I take 3 balls and putt each to a different target, holing out the 2nd putt (5-8 minutes). Chipping OR pitching - I do a shortened version of the short game practice routine, either chipping or pitching (5-8 minutes). So total warmup time is about 20-30 minutes and I've hit just about every shot that I will need on the course.

This week illustrates my basic problem, however. I really struggle taking my swing to the course. I went out Monday and worked on the full swing. Discovered I had fallen into my usual bad habit of aligning left of the target. Got everything straightened up and was hitting the most beautiful little draw with every club in the bag. Went to the course on Tuesday and the draw was still there on the range but, on the course, I was hitting a weak little fade. And today I had the draw for 9 holes and then it just vanished.

Sorry this is so long - my buddies are not practicers and don't want to here about this.
Play 2/wk and practice 2/wk (including a formal lesson which I'm currently taking). Occassionally play more than 2/wk.

Practice is either full swing or short game, or both, and usually 1-2 hrs.

Full swing: I focus on staying vertical (don't sway back), making a good turn on back swing, and staying inside on down swing.

Wedges: Other than lob shots, which, along with sand shots, I don't practice enough, I practice wedges along with my full swing sessions; partly because of the setup of the practice area and partly because I'm taking full swings with them. I focus on distant & direction control.

Chipping & Pitching: I focus on keeping hands forward; typically practice with SW-8I @ various distances up to 35 yds, up hill & down hill, to the 3 pins on our chipping green. For shots >35 yds, I need to be on the main range.

Putting: Lots of ladder drill out to ~8 ft, plus lag putts @10-20 ft for speed control. I focus on ball placement & shaft verticality.

I think I mentioned earlier that my lessons are from GolfTec, and I use the drills my instructor recommends, for which they have online videos I can watch on my phone.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I witnessed my first one this year. Quite lucky actually... my neighbor landed on the left side of a left to right sloping green... rolled towards the cup at a "brisk" pace... ball hit the pin and dropped. Funny thing was that we had just been talking about how none of us had had a HIO or even witnessed one a couple holes earlier.
The only one I ever saw was a ricochet off another ball - perfectly legal.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #99

I keep working on recovering (?) from the last swing lesson. Making a swing tweak usually sets me back for a while before it improves.

Looking at closely at my ER golf budget. Recently paid the next year's membership so I don't have to worry about green fee until next October. If ER goes well (no market collapse), I will continue with the membership. If market crashes, I will have to think about downgrading.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Sunday I had two tweeters in a row ended up with an 87 with 6 penalty strokes - got a little wild with my driver towards the end....