Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #1081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'm to the point of not playing when it is cart path only. Just isn't any fun carrying a half dozen clubs back and forth. One would be better of walking and carrying their clubs.
I prefer to walk. The only time I don't mind a cart is when I'm in a slow moving tournament/scramble in the heat of the day...at least the cart provides some shade and somewhere to sit while waiting. The majority of my rounds are very early in the morning and I walk almost all of them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #1082
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took a cart too often last year. I plan to walk as much as possible next year, already bought my own decent push cart (didn't have one last year and rentals are not much fun). I'll only ride when it's really hot, storming or when required (one league). Might as well get some exercise while I'm torturing myself with golf...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Scotland Golf Trip
Old 03-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #1083

Scotland Golf Trip

Who’s taken a golf trip to Scotland & what can you tell me about it that would help me plan one? Some questions below but, feel free to opine on anything related. It would likely be me & a long time golf buddy.

1. Recommended time of year?
2. Length of trip?
3. Use a golf package outfit or plan trip myself?
4. Play all rounds in the same general area/cluster (I understand there are 3) or, travel btwn clusters?
5. How far in advance to plan? Is 6 mos ahead typically enough?
6. Favorite courses?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #1084
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I took a cart too often last year. I plan to walk as much as possible next year, already bought my own decent push cart (didn't have one last year and rentals are not much fun). I'll only ride when it's really hot, storming or when required (one league). Might as well get some exercise while I'm torturing myself with golf...
All my golf friends ride so walking is out. I own a cart and ride to the course. Yes....I'm spoiled. Plus with our heat and humidity from May-Sept golf simply wouldn't be fun walking. I walk 9 early in the morning year round with the mutt tho. Just walking....no golf.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #1085

I play four to five times a weeks and walk whenever possible. Since I retired in July of 2009 I have logged 5270 miles on the golf course. Most in one year was 920 miles. Most in one month was 111 miles. Yearly totals have dropped since we moved to Az full time. Just too darn hot once it gets to be 95 degrees by 10:00am.

Our course is relatively flat and a loop is 6 miles. I seem to play better when I walk...kind of slows everything down for me.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #1086
Give me a forum ...

I prefer to walk as well but most of the courses here in Florida don't allow walkers until later in the day and it is usually quite hot by then. My home course is way to hilly to walk... even walking 9 holes with a pull cart is tough.

I am surprised that even taking 18 with a cart that I walk about 4 miles according to my vivoFit.... seems high to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #1087
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be glad to be walking the course to get rid of the pizza and hamburgers that have added five pounds. The course that we play is in the Boise foothills. Uphill, downhill, sideways, etc. I played about 180 rounds last year, maybe half were nine holes when the back nine was being remodeled. Looking forward to good weather.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #1088
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I will be glad to be walking the course to get rid of the pizza and hamburgers that have added five pounds. The course that we play is in the Boise foothills. Uphill, downhill, sideways, etc. I played about 180 rounds last year, maybe half were nine holes when the back nine was being remodeled. Looking forward to good weather.
I've got a tee time Sunday but it's not looking that promising, weather wise
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #1089
Recycles dryer sheets

41 for the high? I hope the forecast improves.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #1090
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
41 for the high? I hope the forecast improves.
Oh yeah I have a 5 pm tee time today

guess I'll have to look forward to the ping pong tournament at 7 instead
Old 03-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #1091
Give me a forum ...

39 on the front yesterday.... had hopes that I might finally break 80 on a par 72 course... but a double and triple on the back dashed those hopes... ended up with an 81... still a good score for me but a bit disappointing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #1092
Give me a forum ...

81 is still good!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #1093
Give me a forum ...

Played 18 this morning but course was set up as a par 3 due to soggy fairways. Not my favorite kind of golf but beats sitting indoors. This weekend is suppose to be sunny so maybe the course will dry out a bit.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #1094
Recycles dryer sheets

Big_Hitter Damien in the pro shop said that the range and course are not open today.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #1095
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Big_Hitter Damien in the pro shop said that the range and course are not open today.
yeah Mitch called him earlier - he said Sunday is looking good though!
Old 03-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #1096

Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Who’s taken a golf trip to Scotland & what can you tell me about it that would help me plan one? Some questions below but, feel free to opine on anything related. It would likely be me & a long time golf buddy.

2. Length of trip?
4. Play all rounds in the same general area/cluster (I understand there are 3) or, travel btwn clusters?
6. Favorite courses?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #1097
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has advice.
Wish I could help, but haven't been. Below is a golf forum that surely someone has made the trip and can give some advice.

GolfWRX
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #1098
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

2. Length of trip?
6. Favorite courses?
I too have been thinking of a Scotland trip with a golf buddy. I haven't gone yet but I've started to research it.

1. Summer is prime time
2. I was thinking of a 9 day trip (cost control)
2. The packages can be double the price of DIY. There are websites that can help you plan the trip.
3. I would suggest about 1 year in advance for tee times and lodging
Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #1099

Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out. Even reverted to U-tube for some guidance, which there isn't much. All is done and new black widow spikes installed but oh boy what a major PIA and about a two hour process.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #1100
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out. Even reverted to U-tube for some guidance, which there isn't much. All is done and new black widow spikes installed but oh boy what a major PIA and about a two hour process.
This happens to me all the time - leaving the spikes in too long. What helps me is a gadget made by softspikes. Not sure of the name of it but it's a torque wrench for plastic spikes. Still need elbow grease but makes the job alot easier.
Closed Thread