Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #1101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out.
Is the spike claw remover tool you refer to the one with the sharp teeth that digs into the old spike when you twist it? I've always had good luck using that tool. I switched over to spikeless golf shoes the last couple years, I walk most of my rounds and find them more comfortable but still keep a pair of spiked golf shoes available for wet conditions (better grip).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Is the spike claw remover tool you refer to the one with the sharp teeth that digs into the old spike when you twist it? I've always had good luck using that tool. I switched over to spikeless golf shoes the last couple years, I walk most of my rounds and find them more comfortable but still keep a pair of spiked golf shoes available for wet conditions (better grip).
Yes, that is the tool. I have about eight four different pairs of golf shoes, two spineless and two with spikes. This time of year I wouldn't recommend going spikeless just too wet.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #1103

Congrats Phil, now go out and get another major or two. Nice to see the old dog beat the young pups every now and then.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #1104
Recycles dryer sheets

Very happy for Phil.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #1105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out. Even reverted to U-tube for some guidance, which there isn't much. All is done and new black widow spikes installed but oh boy what a major PIA and about a two hour process.
soak the bottom of the shoes in some water, wait a bit

get a good spike wrench - it should only take 15 minutes a pair

i prefer to use the champion softspikes when replacing the old ones
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Very happy for Phil.
those short game tips I sent him on twitter seem to have worked
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #1107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have yet to break 80 on a par 70/72 course... I have had a 80 on my home course, a number of low 80s at various courses, a 75 on an executive course (so I don't count that) and countless sub-40 nine-hole rounds... I just haven't been able to put two sub-40 halves together in the same round.

I've even had a number of sub-40 back nines followed a couple days later by a sub-40 front nine. Frustrating!
Well, I finally broke 80!

Had a 38 on the front and a 41 on the back.

I knew I was having a good round but intentionally didn't look at the scorecard after the 8th hole and pared the 9th and was pleasantly surprised by the 38 and thought... this might be the day.

No 10 was a par 5 and I had two good shots and a 10' eagle putt that I pulled but left close for a tap-in birdie. A double on a 130 yd par 3 and also on a par 5 meant that I had to go par-par to end up under 80. A scramble to save par on 17 and a fairly pedestrian par on 18 did the trick.

I almost wilted under the pressure. It was a pleasure to post that score!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #1108
Give me a forum ...

congrats!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #1109

Quote:
I knew I was having a good round but intentionally didn't look at the scorecard after the 8th hole and pared the 9th and was pleasantly surprised by the 38 and thought... this might be the day.
Congratulations! Most of the golf psychologist say your performance will be better if you don't focus on your score during the round. Sometimes easier said then done.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #1110
Recycles dryer sheets

Very Very Cool Congratulations. I have not broken 80 either.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #1111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No 10 was a par 5 and I had two good shots and a 10' eagle putt that I pulled but left close for a tap-in birdie. A double on a 130 yd par 3 and also on a par 5 meant that I had to go par-par to end up under 80. A scramble to save par on 17 and a fairly pedestrian par on 18 did the trick.

Congrats!

I played yesterday. Course finally drying out a bit with all the wind and sunshine. I had a good day with a couple of birdies and a few bogeys. Ended up with a 76. Even tho the course was only playing at 6,100 yds(played with the geezers) I was really proud of the round with all the wind we had. My putting was much better too. My hands have been hanging a little too close to my legs and I changed to a more Steve Stricker like posture with hands held a little higher and arms close to my body. It felt so natural. Hopefully not a one day success story.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #1112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It was a pleasure to post that score!
Congrats!!!

I don’t keep track of my score when I play either, even if I’m keeping the card. I have a general sense but my score is usually a couple strokes better than I expect.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #1113

Quote:

Congrats and quite a milestone. Now the trick is to stay below 80. I can remember the early days of being proud to break 100 and then 90 but 80 is definitely a sign you are a player.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #1114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
soak the bottom of the shoes in some water, wait a bit

get a good spike wrench - it should only take 15 minutes a pair

i prefer to use the champion softspikes when replacing the old ones
+1. Good tip, Ive struggled to replace soft spikes before, Ill try soaking them first next time. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #1115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congrats and quite a milestone. Now the trick is to stay below 80. I can remember the early days of being proud to break 100 and then 90 but 80 is definitely a sign you are a player.
Friend of mine who breaks 80 occasionally told me he hates to shoot 80. 79 is OK and so is 81, but not 80. We can all find a shot wasted in any round, I know I can.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #1116

Congrats on breaking 80, pb.

I've got a Match play match coming up. I was high qualifier at 81, have to play medalist who shot 71. All parts of my game have been good except chipping.

Played warmup round yesterday. Told one of the guys I was going to work on chipping. Had 2 15-25 pitch shots on front, got 1 up and down. On back, I hit every green(!?!). Ended up shooting 72. Best round in s couple years.

Wish that would've been my match. Still lack confidence in chipping.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #1117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
This happens to me all the time - leaving the spikes in too long. What helps me is a gadget made by softspikes. Not sure of the name of it but it's a torque wrench for plastic spikes. Still need elbow grease but makes the job alot easier.
Soak them in water to the top of the soles. It'll loosen up the dirt.
Use WD 40 before putting the new ones in.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #1118
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Let me add my late congratulations!

This may just be what you need to start breaking 80 regularly. I had two years where I kept shooting lots of 80's and 81's but I couldn't break through - lots of late round bogeys. Went out the following spring and the first round (when expectations are lowest) I shot 78. I've been breaking 80 regularly ever since. Sometimes it just gets to be a mental thing.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #1119

Quote:
Congrats! Well done!

Lots of sub-80 rounds in your future now, Im sure.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #1120
Give me a forum ...

I hope so but certainly not yesterday... admittedly a much more difficult course and the greens were fast and slippery... but it was if I forgot how to play golf for a while... I made some pars and pared the 18th so perhaps the golf gods want me to come back.

Funny game.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Closed Thread