Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #1121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #1122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes.
Oh, so now you are a great partner for better ball play.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
If you need a 14 handicap in your scramble, I'm the guy you want
Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
We golfers all love an optimist!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #1125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

saw JCretire77 yesterday

told him I was thinking about you guys after I was one over after 5 holes, damn mean reversion
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #1126

Yesterday I put up with a 1.5 hour frost delay so that I could get at least one round in during March. Course was actually in amazingly good shape considering the very cool spring we've had. Today we've got rain and tomorrow we expect accumulating snow. Ah, spring.

Shot a smooth 77, 1 over on the last 13 holes after a rough start. A typical early season, low expectation round. Next time I'll expect a good score, always a mistake, and we'll see how things end up.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #1127

Off to Orlando on Friday for a bunch of golf rounds. Hopefully, my old body can handle it. Been hittin' the gym the last couple of months to get ready.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #1128

I'm not sure if anyone had posted this yet. The USGA and R&A have agreed on rule changes to take place starting in 2019. Among the new rules:

- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball during search
- eliminating penalty for accidentally moving ball on putting green
- eliminating penalty for hitting flagstick when putting
- relief area for dropped balls to be a fixed distance rather than club lengths
- dropping a ball from at least 1" above ground instead of shoulder height
- reduce lost ball search to 3 minutes from 5
- free relief for embedded ball anywhere on the course (except the sand)
- allowing the repair of spike marks on the green
- no penalty for accidentally touching sand in a bunker
- distance measuring devices are now allowed

Full list: Proposed changes to the Rules of Golf | Golf Channel
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #1129
Give me a forum ...

^^ As many know, there have been several changes since the above. IMO most of the changes are most welcome.

New Rules of Golf unveiled, set for 2019 debut | Golfweek

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by midpack View Post
^^ as many know, there have been several changes since the above. imo most of the changes are most welcome.

new rules of golf unveiled, set for 2019 debut | golfweek
+1 🏌️ ⛳️
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #1131

Interesting day today...40degrees F, with a 20 mph wind. My brother, 3 days shy of his 70th birthday, hit the 2nd hole, a par 5, in two, and sunk the eagle putt. Two holes later, on the tee, a Bald Eagle flew over our heads, only 50 feet or so above us.

I set a personal best for nine holes, 6 pars and 3 birdies for a nice crisp 33. What a day!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #1132
Give me a forum ...

I've been really enjoying the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play tournament on TV.... gotta love match play... fun to watch.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #1133
Give me a forum ...

Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Played in a 3 man scramble this weekend. Our group played just well enough Saturday to qualify for the championship flight. Improved 1 stroke today(64,63) but not good enough to finish in the money. Enjoyable weekend however with good bbq and beverages.
I like scrambles. How did you handicap your teams?
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #1135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Scramble Handicap Calculator
Old 03-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #1136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
We make our own team and enter the tourney. Ages(men) under 55 played from the regular team, age 55-69 senior tees and 70 on up from super senior tees. Women(not many) played from the ladies tees. Women and men can be on the same team, no separate flight for women teams. After the first round the teams are flighted by the team score. No handicaps involved. Handicaps are rarely used around here. Of course the way teams are flighted in events like this.....sandbagging can occur. But people cheat on handicaps too so nothing is perfect. This was a very casual tournament just to kick off the tournament season.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #1137
Give me a forum ...

Enjoying watching the Masters. Kind of bummed that I can't stream it in 4k as could be done last year. First year with my 4k tv and was looking forward to it but Direct TV apparently bought exclusive rights to it this year. Still pretty in 1080 hd tho. Sergio carded a 13 on a par 5 today. Tied for the highest score ever on a hole there. Pretty embarrassing for a defending champion.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #1138
Give me a forum ...

I’m enjoying watching too. Even the par 3 contest yesterday with Nicklaus’ 15 yo grandson scoring his first hole in one at Augusta with a gallery on TV. For me there isn’t a better event in sport than the back nine on Sunday afternoon at The Masters - not the Super Bowl, the World Series, the World Cup or anything else.

If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I don’t think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience you’ll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after you’ve seen the place. Magic.

And you don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this short video. Charming.

https://youtu.be/eA9XyWMjdyg

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you love golf, you owe it to yourself to attend The Masters in person just once. I don’t think you can appreciate the full beauty, the elevations, the atmosphere and the incredible undulations on the greens without seeing them first hand. The greens are shockingly scary. An experience you’ll never forget, and it makes watching on TV more enjoyable after you’ve seen the place. Magic.
I've been putting my name into the yearly Masters ticket lottery since it started, for both practice days and tournament rounds, but no luck. Sounds like the Masters is also putting their foot down on resale tickets, if you buy a ticket resale you may not know until you get to the gate if it's a valid ticket or not.

Masters tickets: Looking to buy or sell pre-owned tickets? Buyers and sellers, beware! | Golf.com
Old 04-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #1140
Give me a forum ...

I've been lucky enough to go 6 times. All practice rounds. Won the lottery pick twice and went with others who won tickets. My first time was the last time w/o a lottery. You just showed up and paid $10. There were so many people I understand why they had to go to the lottery. Now I'm only applying to the Thurs-Sunday rounds. Would like to see a real round once, but odds are against me.

On one trip my group got there the Sunday before Master's week. We went to Tbonz Steakhouse in Augusta and low and behold Darren Clarke, Lee Westwood and Thomas Bjorn were all there. Met them at the bar as we waited on a table. They were incredibly nice.
Closed Thread