Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #1141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poor Sergio. You take a 3 on it on your way to winning one year and then on your next competitive round there you hit 5 balls in the water and take a 13. Ouch. Short defense of the Green Jacket. (In his defense, I guess he didn't actually hit any of them into the water. I was thinking on the third time he might try to hit it into the sand trap.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #1142
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

And you don’t even have to love golf to appreciate this short video. Charming.

https://youtu.be/eA9XyWMjdyg

Awww that was sweet!
I’m from Augusta - and have been to the Masters many times. It’s always amazing to me how incredibly quiet that many people can be.

My Mom was ticket holder but she passed so no more tickets for us. Still, someone usually offers me a day - and I still jump at the chance and spend way too much in the pro shop every time!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #1143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Poor Sergio. You take a 3 on it on your way to winning one year and then on your next competitive round there you hit 5 balls in the water and take a 13. Ouch. Short defense of the Green Jacket. (In his defense, I guess he didn't actually hit any of them into the water. I was thinking on the third time he might try to hit it into the sand trap.)
Yes, very painful to watch... it seemed like 3 or 4 of the balls that ended in the water were not horrible shots and landed within a few feet of each other. On a couple of the balls that when into the water I thought that they were replays because the shots were so similar and the balls seemed to be entering the water at the same place.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #1144

Sergio truly had a tin cup moment but I respect how he handled it when asked by reporters. Can anyone possibly understand how he felt or what was going through his mind watching ball after ball roll off the green into the creek ? Truly a tough day for the Spaniard.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #1145
Give me a forum ...

How about Tony Finau dislocating his ankle the day before, popping it back in place on the spot and then shooting a 68 first round? Unreal he could even walk that hilly course. Wonder how he feels this morning.....
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Sergio truly had a tin cup moment but I respect how he handled it when asked by reporters. Can anyone possibly understand how he felt or what was going through his mind watching ball after ball roll off the green into the creek ? Truly a tough day for the Spaniard.
But, his DW clearly still has his back.

https://golf.swingbyswing.com/lifest...1580ca765d4b1c
Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #1147

Should be a great Sunday at the Masters tomorrow. Good luck to all the young turks and unfortunately looks like the old folks, Tiger and Phil have had their days in the sun. The tournament start on the back nine.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #1148
Moderator Emeritus

Wishing our local guy (Patrick Reed - The Woodlands) well. He's a member of our Carlton Woods CC here.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #1149
Give me a forum ...

Golf Talk Tuesdays

Quote:
Should be a great Sunday at the Masters tomorrow. Good luck to all the young turks and unfortunately looks like the old folks, Tiger and Phil have had their days in the sun. The tournament start on the back nine.

There is always next year, Frayne. People forget, but Jack Nicklaus in 1998 (the year after Tiger won his first Masters) at age 58 was staring at a birdie putt on 16 that could have got him within one stroke of the lead when the leaders where in trouble a few holes back. And The Golden Bear beat Tiger that year also.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #1150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2. I’ll be glued to the TV, best golf day of the year!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 AM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+2. I’ll be glued to the TV, best golf day of the year!
I agree, it's best TV golf day of the year and has so few commercials that a pvr isn't necessary. They also don't fill the screen with the rolling bar at the bottom or useless graphics.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
There is always next year, Frayne. People forget, but Jack Nicklaus in 1998 (the year after Tiger won his first Masters) at age 58 was staring at a birdie putt on 16 that could have got him within one stroke of the lead when the leaders where in trouble a few holes back. And The Golden Bear beat Tiger that year also.
All true and I remember Watson almost winning the BO not that long ago. I just think there is too much young talent in the game these days. Michaleson's swing speed isn't that much better than the average golfer and he can't hit fairways consistently and is a scrambling machine that does put a good score up, once in awhile. Given Tiger's three or four back surgeries it's only a matter of time until something else breaks down. The conditioning these young guys go through to stay in shape in addition to their talent make them hard to beat for the older guys out there. Kind of sad but the reality of the game.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #1153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I agree, it's best TV golf day of the year and has so few commercials that a pvr isn't necessary. They also don't fill the screen with the rolling bar at the bottom or useless graphics.
Ain't that the truth. Even the online streaming is good before CBS takes over. No commercials there. Will be pulling for Rory but wouldn't mind Fowler coming out of the pack to win. But if Reed plays half way decent, he will be hard to beat.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #1154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Normally, I root for the American but in this case want to see Rory become the sixth golfer to win all the majors. Plus being a 1st generation Irish guy, got to root for the mick.

Reed is obviously a guy who is easy to dislike if you are up against him. According to the attached article, he was disliked by his own teammates at both colleges he attended. It's kind of a long read and it paints Reed in a bad light.

I'm not saying everything is factual but even if some of it is true, Reed is one weird dude.

https://deadspin.com/how-patrick-ree...ian-1682766305
Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #1155

Weird is good, Go Reed!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #1156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Normally, I root for the American but in this case want to see Rory become the sixth golfer to win all the majors. Plus being a 1st generation Irish guy, got to root for the mick.

Reed is obviously a guy who is easy to dislike if you are up against him. According to the attached article, he was disliked by his own teammates at both colleges he attended. It's kind of a long read and it paints Reed in a bad light.

I'm not saying everything is factual but even if some of it is true, Reed is one weird dude.

https://deadspin.com/how-patrick-ree...ian-1682766305
Here's another article. As they say, there are 2 sides to every story so who knows what to believe.....

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/04/pat...r-hannah-feud/
Old 04-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #1157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All true and I remember Watson almost winning the BO not that long ago. I just think there is too much young talent in the game these days. Michaleson's swing speed isn't that much better than the average golfer and he can't hit fairways consistently and is a scrambling machine that does put a good score up, once in awhile. Given Tiger's three or four back surgeries it's only a matter of time until something else breaks down. The conditioning these young guys go through to stay in shape in addition to their talent make them hard to beat for the older guys out there. Kind of sad but the reality of the game.

The oldies always have the British Open to target though, lol... Remember Bernard Langer was only a couple strokes off the lead at Masters just last year or year before and he doesnt hit it long. Dont give up hope, yet! Useless trivia on swing speed...I read an article that during 1998 Masters Nicklaus ave. swing speed was actually faster than Tigers was that tourney.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #1158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Here's another article. As they say, there are 2 sides to every story so who knows what to believe.....

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/04/pat...r-hannah-feud/
Agree but both articles allude to a very strange family dynamic.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #1159
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like our local Woodlands boy won the thing!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #1160

Congrats Patrick, pretty much fairways, greens and a magical flat stick all four days. A great win and hope he keeps it going.