Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, head of the putter up to the start of the grip.
+1, that’s what I was taught a million years ago, you lay the head in the hole and measure to the grip. But I’ve never seen anyone actually measure with a putter - everyone just eyeballs gimmies when given IME.

It takes no time to tap in a short putt, so just putt it.
I know guys (league, not friends) who will actually take almost as much time to read a 2-3 footer as any other putt.

And like several have said above, I’m all for putting another player out of his misery if he’s putting for a triple, quad, snowman, double par, etc.

pace of play - our league is points match so we are allowed to concede putts and/or holes
How long does it take to tap in from 8 inches? That's not an issue with time.. Slow moving people is the problem.....slow with everything. I've gone out with a 5 ball a couple of times....everybody understands they have to MOVE....always WAY less than 4 hours unless someone gets in the way.

How long does it take to tap in from 8 inches? That's not an issue with time.. Slow moving people is the problem.....slow with everything. I've gone out with a 5 ball a couple of times....everybody understands they have to MOVE....always WAY less than 4 hours unless someone gets in the way.

I guess you've never seen a person plumb bob a two footer?

I have

raking significantly improves the pace of play

Last edited:
I know guys (league, not friends) who will actually take almost as much time to read a 2-3 footer as any other putt.

they probably take longer since they will read it twice from both sides, pace it off and plumb bob it

:facepalm:

Played in a multi-course tournament this past weekend on my home course. I am a ghin 5.0.... 225 yard avg off the tee.

Played against two guys from another course with 0 and 3 handicaps. Both of these guys were 20 years younger than me and could drive it 250+ with a 2 iron. Drivers were 300 and that is not an exaggeration.

Needless to say, I had the advantage of keeping it in play and knowing the greens. I shot 75 with a double on one hole (never lost a ball). The 0 hcp shot 87 and lost half a dozen. The 3 shot 84.

To play good golf, you need to keep it D.F.M (down the frickin middle).

Oldest guy in the foursome and whipped them all....:dance:

Tell that to Tiger, 64 and hit it all over the course

“Inside the leather”

“This is an old expression referring to putters and how close the ball is to the hole -- whether or not it is close enough to be "a gimme" (conceded as holed without actually going to the trouble of putting it in) in casual play.

The word inside tends to mean closer than and outside farther than. So inside the leather would mean closer than the leather. Ah, but from which end? Many people ask, "Does that mean from the top end of the grip to where the shaft starts or from the club head to where the grip starts?" It means the latter. Inside the leather is generally thought of as the ball being less than (inside) the distance from the club head to where the grip* starts and it is typically measured by hooking the end of the putter in the lip of the cup, similarly to if you were hooking the tab of a tape measure on the lip.”

Ambiguities in Golf Termimology - Golf Instruction Article - PGAProfessional.com

I'd bet 99% of people would say it's grip length. That's interesting about hooking the putter in the hole to measure. But by the time you do that, you could've hit the putt. Courses should paint a one or two foot circle around the hole for people who want gimmes, that would speed things up.

Well, if you have to read the putt, then it's not really in gimme range ;)

And like several have said above, I’m all for putting another player out of his misery if he’s putting for a triple, quad, snowman, double par, etc.

If it's a disaster hole, I agree. But, people should be making putts for double or less. I know average players who have claimed to shoot 89 but gave themselves a dozen putts, some that were 3' - 4'. On the other hand, I've 3-putted from 2' because it was downhill and broke 4".

I'd bet 99% of people would say it's grip length. That's interesting about hooking the putter in the hole to measure. But by the time you do that, you could've hit the putt. Courses should paint a one or two foot circle around the hole for people who want gimmes, that would speed things up.

I've never heard anyone I play with refer to it as the length of the grip. I believe the standard putter grip length is only 10.5", not much of a need to measure at that distance. Except for birdie putts we usually give at 2' and in, that's probably close to the distance from the putter head to the grip.

If it's a disaster hole, I agree. But, people should be making putts for double or less. I know average players who have claimed to shoot 89 but gave themselves a dozen putts, some that were 3' - 4'. On the other hand, I've 3-putted from 2' because it was downhill and broke 4".

I have no problem with anyone taking all the gimme putts they want, it speeds up play plus it lowers their handicap so they have no chance come tournament time or when we play a money match using handicaps.

Last edited:

Not sure about the 99%. I’ve never heard of using the length of the grip. Always the putter head to the start of the grip. Maybe there’s some regional variation, but no one I know here in Michigan, does it any other way.

Gimme, shmimmee. Putt it.

But our games seem to involve walking slowly to your 2-3 footer, looking up at your opponent like a dog asking for a treat, waiting and hoping someone says, " pick it up, that's good".

Another comp completed....just fine through 10 holes.....another complete collapse after that. I hate golf!!! It sucks...... I love it.

Another comp completed....just fine through 10 holes.....another complete collapse after that. I hate golf!!! It sucks...... I love it.

The other day I thought I had figured it out. I was wrong.

I usually play Tuesdays & Fridays. Last Friday, I made some good shots, especially off the tee but, scored badly. :mad:

This Tuesday, I played so terribly that I apologized to my playing partners & quit at the turn. :mad:

This Friday (yesterday), I went on a hike @ Tomales Bay; not a single slice or 3-putt. I’d say it was a “good walk NOT spoiled!” :D

Last Monday shot a 45 on the front, started drinking beer on No.10 and continued through 18 and shot a 36, seven pars, a bogey and a birdie. Next time out I'm drinking all 18.

^^^^ benefits of swing juice.

Played on Thurs/Fri week before last.... 85 on Thursday and 96 on Friday... same golfer one day different (different courses but not that different... similiar ratings)... I don't get it... it is just the way it is.

Even the pros will shoot a 66 one day then a 74 the next day, so 85 to 96 or a 45-36 round are not unusual.

My latest card has 17/20 scores of 78-82. But there has been nothing consistent about my game but the score. Five 3-putts one round, 28 total putts the next, same score. What a game!

Just had a round +3 thru 8, then an abysmal +15 on 9 thru 17 (par on 18). I still don’t get it. One day to the next is more understandable?

I’m too inconsistent to play badly all the time.

I usually play Tuesdays & Fridays. Last Friday, I made some good shots, especially off the tee but, scored badly. :mad:

This Tuesday, I played so terribly that I apologized to my playing partners & quit at the turn. :mad:

This Friday (yesterday), I went on a hike @ Tomales Bay; not a single slice or 3-putt. I’d say it was a “good walk NOT spoiled!” :D

Last week when on a trip out west I played a course about 20 miles south of Santa Fe.....a Robert Trent Jones course. I was striking the ball on the practice tee about as well as I could hit it. After 7 holes I was -1 and should have been -2 as I missed a straight in 3 footer for birdie. Then I went double double triple bogey. All of a sudden I was hanging back on my right side hitting fat iron shots and everything just went to hell. Managed to scrape out an 83 but a very promising round turned out to be not so promising. The golf gods will give you a little bit to keep you coming back but won't let you get too cocky.

Like you I can find other things to do that are fun that avoids those double and triple bogeys. When at my condo I ride my bike everyday. Very relaxing, enjoyable with good exercise. I never come home pissed off. But life wouldn't be fun w/o a little aggravation. ;)

Should Phil be on the Ryder Cup team?

I understand Tiger. He actually has played well enough. And I think Team USA or Furyk would be financially liable to the network if Tiger wasn't there.

But do we really need Phil when Finau and Schaffle(sp) seem better picks to me.

I like Phil but agree with you that he hasn't been playing well enough.... OTOH, his depth of experience in Ryder and President's Cups is an intangible in his favor... especially if he is paired with a rookie.

Phil seems to be well liked by the younger players but I would have rather they picked one of the younger players. Phil's Ryder Cup record is not good, he has been on mostly losing teams. Most of the value he brings could have been accomplished if he was an assistant captain. Time to give the young guns a chance, most of them seem to be fearless and up for the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom