Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before retirement, the typical cost was $60 to $80 on weekends. I have spent $300 for a round at Spyglass. Now I average around $35 to $45 per round.

I played dollarwood (westwood cc) in Houston two weeks ago and forked over the $120 guest fee. That's about my limit and it hurts.

Get it under two hours, now that's playing golf cart polo.

well we had some leaves on the ground which made finding a few balls a challenge and we had to stop at the turn...

I played dollarwood (westwood cc) in Houston two weeks ago and forked over the $120 guest fee. That's about my limit and it hurts.

I definitely don't like paying anywhere near $120 these days. I'll play Poppy Hills about 3 to 4 times per year at $70/round. That's the highest so far this year.

whoa - what was his handicap index?

75 years old :) his best holes were a double bogey on a par 3. Most were in the 8 - 10 range

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

75 years old :) his best holes were a double bogey on a par 3. Most were in the 8 - 10 range

Most of the guys at my club that are 75ish (and play regularly) are pretty to very good golfers (i.e. sub 15 index)

Makes no difference as long as one has fun but 120-130 yard driver average probably belongs with red tee.

Makes no difference as long as one has fun but 120-130 yard driver average probably belongs with red tee.

For sure! His wife beat him soundly. If my wife beat me, I would find a new hobby :)

Spent a hour with DW at Top Golf this afternoon. Had fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

For sure! His wife beat him soundly. If my wife beat me, I would find a new hobby :)

Chuckle. Sometimes, DW beats me. We started golf at the same time. That's my excuse. That and she appears to have more natural talent than I have. Golf god is not fair that way.

Chuckle. Sometimes, DW beats me. We started golf at the same time. That's my excuse. That and she appears to have more natural talent than I have. Golf god is not fair that way.

Golf w DW.

Last time She played was in a couples Scramble, can't follow your own shot. What could go wrong?

9th hole, 400 yd par 4 w ravine about 250 from tee. Use my drive just short of ravine, I can't hit next shot. Other guy tops it in ravine, his wife shanks in ravine, DW whiffs. So, Hers is the best shot.

Everyone in clubhouse after. Pro hears about "using a whiff", tells the whole group the story. DW never played again.

Golf w DW.

Last time She played was in a couples Scramble, can't follow your own shot. What could go wrong?

9th hole, 400 yd par 4 w ravine about 250 from tee. Use my drive just short of ravine, I can't hit next shot. Other guy tops it in ravine, his wife shanks in ravine, DW whiffs. So, Hers is the best shot.

Everyone in clubhouse after. Pro hears about "using a whiff", tells the whole group the story. DW never played again.

LOL! DW and I play in scramble, alternate shot, and best ball club tournaments for fun. Men remembers when a smallish, feeble looking woman hits a surprisingly good shot, makes long putt, etc.. And they remind me of those every chance they get. Geesh.

Golf w DW.

"Playing whiff wife" versus "Playing wife's whiff."

Seems like such a small difference. But, as any man who's been married very long can tell you, small word differences are BIG to women. 🙄

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Golf w DW.

Haha, that's funny! My wife was in our work scramble many years ago, and they took photos of first tee shot. Admiring her photo, she commented what a nice follow-through she had. Agreed, but ball was still on the tee :LOL: I will say she made the first five putts, though, and we won. We had her putt first just to see the line, and she drained five in a row!!

Been playing golf for 45 years and never played unless it was for money. It took a while to learn who and who know to gamble with but I caught one pretty fast.

I still play twice a week and yes we still gamble. You can get all the bets in our group of about 15 you want. $5 two down and any number ending in 3 and 1 on the last hole all bets are double. I have had good days and some not so good:facepalm: but overall this year has been good:cool:.

I still play pretty good for a person of 68 and can still hit it 250:D. Staying in shape and making smart bets is my story and I am sticking to it. :)
I do hit from the senior tees now and most of the par 5's I can hit irons to on my second shot if I catch a good drive. That sure helps. Can't win to much or you will have to give strokes:nonono:

Anyone else play in a Turkey Shoot this weekend? Seems to be a standard practice out here, each of the local men's clubs have a scramble tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving. Beside the normal cash prizes each participant walks away with a turkey so no losers.

El Macero

I played El Macero CC yesterday as the guest of a friend who's a member. It's a great course; an easy walk (flat) & most do walk, true & fast greens, and lots & lots of bunkers. I didn't play well but, had a great time. The course seemed much harder than the rating/slope on the scorecard. Maybe it was just me having a bad day. :rolleyes:

I played El Macero CC yesterday as the guest of a friend who's a member. It's a great course; an easy walk (flat) & most do walk, true & fast greens, and lots & lots of bunkers. I didn't play well but, had a great time. The course seemed much harder than the rating/slope on the scorecard. Maybe it was just me having a bad day. :rolleyes:

Typically, when a CC member invites you to play at his course , do you have to pay for the round or is it a freebie?

I pay for my friends when they play at our CC. It is typically reciprocated if we then play together somewhere else.

We typically pay our own way. Playing with a member gets you on the course, typically lower rates and preferred tee times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Typically, when a CC member invites you to play at his course , do you have to pay for the round or is it a freebie?

depends. I normally pay for my own green fees unless I've hosted him/her before at my club.

I am a CC member, and I am a member of FIRE. Any question?

No, usually we have a group that rotates to different courses and everyone pays their own way.

If I have a "special" guest, out of town for example, I'll host.

Peacock Gap-San Rafael, CA

Played Peacock Gap yesterday for the first time in ~10yrs. They've recently completed aeration; greens done several weeks ago, fairways more recently. The greens we a bit slow but, pretty true; very acceptable considering the recent aeration. The fairways were passable but, we knew they'd just been punched so not a disappointment.

To my surprise, after reading lots of negative reviews, I was pleased with the course; good layout, not too long but, enough hazards that you have to pay close attention. Beyond that, all the staff is very friendly & helpful. I will definitely return.

My round was Mr. Hyde & Dr. Jekyll round. So, I'm not inviting that Hyde guy back next time; the b@st@rd can't get out of the sand. :(

Played Bodega Bay Links yesterday; hooked up with a guy from Eureka, CA & two guys from Sacramento. Nice guys & a nice day, after it warmed up a bit & the wind died some. The course was busy; evidently Black Friday is traditionally a big golf day.

This "links-ish" style course is full of wonderful views, and lots of trouble for the unwary. Not many level lies to be found though.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448726511.937862.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1448726539.933241.jpg

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom