Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #1401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I call beer "aiming juice"
I have a golf buddy who calls it “Swing Oil” and, it seems to work for him...until it doesn’t
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #1402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It may be an old one, but I just heard Paul Goydos say it on the Feherty show this afternoon. It might be an apt description of my game...

I’m too inconsistent to play badly all the time.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It may be an old one, but I just heard Paul Goydos say it on the Feherty show this afternoon. It might be an apt description of my game...

I’m too inconsistent to play badly all the time.
I'll validate that statement, played twice last week, shot a 78 and a 93, and no alcohol was involved. Maybe it should have been though.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #1404
Give me a forum ...

Yup... on Thursday... 40 on the front and 45 on the back... the difference... a couple bad swings.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Under 70!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #1405

Under 70!

Played @ a Lake Tahoe Course with some buddies Thursday & shot 68!*.

An awesome round, considering.

*Par 58 course.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #1406
Give me a forum ...

I was really impressed for 5 seconds!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #1407
Give me a forum ...

I also shot 68 once.

It was on a par 57 course
Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #1408
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want the new Ping i500 irons. The £1000 price tag is a bit harsh though.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Get them. I love my Ping irons. I’m sure there are clubs that work just as well, but when I hit them correctly, they are so smooth. Great set of clubs.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #1410

Quote:

Newly released clubs are way over priced IMO, wait a year and price will drop as soon as the next model comes out. Have you played forged muscle back type irons? They are considered 'better player clubs', very good if you consistently hit the center of the club face but not very forgiven.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #1411

When I moved back to the UK 3+ years ago and joined one of the local clubs, I was playing an old set of Hogan blades. I have since gone to the Ping G30...and then G400 (currently).

The i500 will not solve my inconsistency issues. Nor will anything other than this get me the distance back....https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AxwdhweBmv8/maxresdefault.jpg This is a case of want...... I'm an 11 here in the UK on a tough course. Nor will new clubs solve my chipping issues (psychologist might help).

As far as overpriced......it's golf.....everything is overpriced. Waiting a year to save £100 on a set of irons is true early retirement stinginess.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #1412
Gone but not forgotten

Tiger Tie for 6th... final

He came within 1 shot of the lead on the first 9 of the last round.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #1413
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Tiger Tie for 6th... final

He came within 1 shot of the lead on the first 9 of the last round.
He led by a stroke briefly making the turn. Didn't hit many fairways today and that did him him.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #1414

Does anyone know why Speith was exchanging his ball late in the game? I think he was on 16 or 17. They broke to commercial and I watched him go to his bag, get a ball and place it on the fairway. Wondering what gave him the need/right to do that?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #1415
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Newly released clubs are way over priced IMO, wait a year and price will drop as soon as the next model comes out. Have you played forged muscle back type irons? They are considered 'better player clubs', very good if you consistently hit the center of the club face but not very forgiven.
Despite the resemblance, the Ping i500 is not a forged muscle back iron, it's a hollow body which is considered a game improvement, perimeter weighted iron - definitely more forgiving than a "blade." And the i500 face is a lot hotter than any forged muscle back iron as well, suggesting more distance all else being equal. FWIW

Old 07-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #1416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Does anyone know why Speith was exchanging his ball late in the game? I think he was on 16 or 17. They broke to commercial and I watched him go to his bag, get a ball and place it on the fairway. Wondering what gave him the need/right to do that?
Had to be a ball unfit for play, legal to replace it per rule 5.3. He did have an official witness his mark and lift and then inspect his ball, presumably to confirm the ball was damaged. The preceding shot was from a deep bunker, might have been badly scuffed on the way out?
Quote:
5-3. Ball Unfit for Play

A ball is unfit for play if it is visibly cut, cracked or out of shape. A ball is not unfit for play solely because mud or other materials adhere to it, its surface is scratched or scraped or its paint is damaged or discolored.

If a player has reason to believe his ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he may lift the ball, without penalty, to determine whether it is unfit.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift and examine it, provided that he gives his opponent, marker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to examine the ball and observe the lifting and replacement. The ball must not be cleaned when lifted under Rule 5-3.

If the player fails to comply with all or any part of this procedure, or if he lifts the ball without having reason to believe that it has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he incurs a penalty of one stroke.

If it is determined that the ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, the player may substitute another ball, placing it on the spot where the original ball lay. Otherwise, the original ball must be replaced. If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted and makes a stroke at the wrongly substituted ball, he incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule or Rule 15-2.
What a great (British) Open? Tiger in the lead at one point, six players tied for the lead somewhere mid round, Rose and McIlroy posting -6 with several groups still playing, and Molinari making the clutch drive, approach and putt on 18 (he ultimately didn't need to beat Schauffele). Riveting!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #1417

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #1418

Quote:
When I moved back to the UK 3+ years ago and joined one of the local clubs, I was playing an old set of Hogan blades. I have since gone to the Ping G30...and then G400 (currently).

The i500 will not solve my inconsistency issues. Nor will anything other than this get me the distance back....https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AxwdhweBmv8/maxresdefault.jpg This is a case of want...... I'm an 11 here in the UK on a tough course. Nor will new clubs solve my chipping issues (psychologist might help).

As far as overpriced......it's golf.....everything is overpriced. Waiting a year to save £100 on a set of irons is true early retirement stinginess.

Spend away, buying new clubs every year might not do much to improve your golf game but the golf club manufacturers will love you for it.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Spend away, might not do much for your golf game but the golf club manufacturers will love you for it.

Marketing of new golf equipment is such a joke. With all the so called improvements in equipment over the last several years, we should be hitting our drivers 300 yds and straight to boot. How could we not with twist face and jail break technology.

Then with all the improvements in irons, balls and putters - why aren't we scratch golfers (at the very least).

I have to admit some of my buddies do buy into the marketing bs. I just wait a year or 2 and buy equpment for 1/3 of the original price. At the end of the day, I guess I should be pleased that oems pump out new equipment so I can buy it a year or 2 later,
Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #1420
Give me a forum ...

For the vast majority of players, spending the money on lessons instead of new clubs will be far more beneficial.

A new swing with your old clubs will almost always be better than your old swing with new clubs.
Closed Thread