Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 AM   #1421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For the vast majority of players, spending the money on lessons instead of new clubs will be far more beneficial.

A new swing with your old clubs will almost always be better than your old swing with new clubs.
+1. Unless your clubs are 20+ years old, or somehow grossly misfitted (not that likely), lessons from a qualified golf pro/teacher will do more to improve your game. Equipment tech changes are incremental, not nearly as revolutionary as the marketing language suggests.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #1422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Unless your clubs are 20+ years old, or somehow grossly misfitted (not that likely), lessons from a qualified golf pro/teacher will do more to improve your game. Equipment tech changes are incremental, not nearly as revolutionary as the marketing language suggests.
My game is beyond help by pro or rookie. At least with some new clubs or even a new glove I'll look better. Mostly I find my game is mostly dependent on my attitude. Once I have lost any hope of a decent score I quit trying so hard and then do much better. By then it is too late but I almost always do better on last 3 or 4 holes.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #1423
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For the vast majority of players, spending the money on lessons instead of new clubs will be far more beneficial.

A new swing with your old clubs will almost always be better than your old swing with new clubs.

Could not agree more.

Also, why do most golfers balk at spending relatively big bucks on a putter but lay down big bucks on a driver? When the driver is used maybe 14 times and the putter over 30 times during a round.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #1424
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Could not agree more.

Also, why do most golfers balk at spending relatively big bucks on a putter but lay down big bucks on a driver? When the driver is used maybe 14 times and the putter over 30 times during a round.
I've played some courses where the driver is rarely used...or at most 5 or 6 times.

Many amateurs don't need to hit a driver on a 320 par 4 when a hybrid or 3 or 5 wood will leave them a short iron to the green. My basic rule of thumb is to get inside the 150 marker off the tee...with exceptions/adjustments to that rule being made for fairway width, wind, water, etc.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #1425
Give me a forum ...

I tend to hit the ball low and have a lot of trouble hitting a driver... hence, I don't even have a driver. I hit my 3-wood or 5-wood as far or farther than most of the guys I play with.

I am most comfortable inside 150 yards. Even on par 5's if I have a long (200+ yard) second shot then I lay up to about 80-100 yards and trust my short game.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #1426

I collect the found balls in a pocket on my golf bag. When I don't feel like buying or hitting an entire bucket before a round, I'll knock 5 or 6 drivers out on the range.
Seeking Advice
Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #1427

Seeking Advice

I hit my Callaway Fusion driver well (75% FIRs) but, not far (~220 yds). I also have an old Cleveland Launcher 2-hybrid (18*) that I love & hit well (~180 yds). BUT, I can’t hit my Callaway (or, evidently any) 3-wood very well at all; also had problems with my previous TM 3-wood. I even have my current 3-wood adjusted to a 4-wood & still can’t hit it well so, it stays in the bag most of the time.

Any thoughts on how to fill the gap btwn my Driver & 2-hybrid? I seem to like the hybrid head shape; is there a stronger hybrid that will fill the gap? Or, another head shape?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #1428
Give me a forum ...

I dented my rballz stage 2 driver during the tournament last week and got a new one on ebay, xstiff stock shaft

picked up this wilson driver as a potential replacement

https://www.budgetgolf.com/wilson-st...on-driver.html
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #1429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I hit my Callaway Fusion driver well (75% FIRs) but, not far (~220 yds). I also have an old Cleveland Launcher 2-hybrid (18*) that I love & hit well (~180 yds). BUT, I can’t hit my Callaway (or, evidently any) 3-wood very well at all; also had problems with my previous TM 3-wood. I even have my current 3-wood adjusted to a 4-wood & still can’t hit it well so, it stays in the bag most of the time.

Any thoughts on how to fill the gap btwn my Driver & 2-hybrid? I seem to like the hybrid head shape; is there a stronger hybrid that will fill the gap? Or, another head shape?
Choke up on the driver or hit the 2-hybrid further back in your stance? I do that often when I am between clubs. Might work if you are comfortable hitting the driver off the deck.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #1430

Quote:

I've gotten rid of my fairway wood. 9 degree driver then 2 Mizuno hybrids (16+19) that are adjustable 2 degree either way. 16 adjusted to 14 (although I moved it up to 15 this morning) and I left the 19 at 19. The course is really dry right now and if you are hitting down with the hybrid I have no trouble hitting the 14 hybrid low and running. During the winter I will move the 14 up to 16 and the 19 up to 20/21. I prefer keeping the ball a little lower.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #1431

Quote:

I think I have an old Cleveland 15.5* hybrid. I’ll dig it out and check it. Didn’t really work for me.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I've gotten rid of my fairway wood. 9 degree driver then 2 Mizuno hybrids (16+19) that are adjustable 2 degree either way. 16 adjusted to 14 (although I moved it up to 15 this morning) and I left the 19 at 19. The course is really dry right now and if you are hitting down with the hybrid I have no trouble hitting the 14 hybrid low and running. During the winter I will move the 14 up to 16 and the 19 up to 20/21. I prefer keeping the ball a little lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
I think I have an old Cleveland 15.5* hybrid. I’ll dig it out and check it. Didn’t really work for me.
Thx much. Club generation/name would be good; pics would be fantastic.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #1433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I don’t disagree, but I’d argue that argument overstates putting. If you have 36 putts, about half of them should be tap ins, where almost any putter would do. In any event, lots of putts are very short, so you may hit your driver and putter about the same number of challenging strokes. FWIW
Old 07-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #1434

Quote:
My 19 hybrid is a Mizuno JPX900 series which I liked but when I got rid of my 5 wood and replaced it with the 16 degree I couldn't easily find another 900 series. The new models are called CLK. There are plenty of reviews on YouTube on pretty well any golf club. My driver is a Ping G400 SFT and before I bought the 16 degree (which in my head I just think of it as a 14 degree) the pro shop let me take the 3 wood SFT out on a round. When I hit it well it definitely went further.....it also went bad further as well. I hit the hybrids much more consistently so I chose to go that direction.

This YouTube review is on the CLK , but there are other great clubs out there. If you are spending a decent amount of money, I don't think there are too many clubs out there that aren't good anymore.....just too competitive.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #1435

Quote:
I bought this used a couple of years back. Here are some pics.

Cleveland Mashie 15.5* loft, regular flex shaft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6808F3FF-D69A-4F7C-A991-D7A8B6E07BB4.jpg (500.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 60D2F020-43D9-42CD-929D-278F37D32916.jpg (589.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 83E77D20-6D79-40E0-881C-BB7AC977F7A0.jpg (536.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #1436

Drove over to American Golf in York this morning......I spent a lot of money. 4-W with Recoil shafts in the new Ping i500 and 2 new Ping stealth wedges 52+60. They don't come out until 31 July so I won't see them for at least a week.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #1437
Give me a forum ...

I damaged my RBZ stage 2 driver two weeks ago in a golf tournament (not anger related I just dropped it accidentally) so I got a Wilson Staff Triton Driver XStiff 10.5 for $140 shipped

https://www.budgetgolf.com/wilson-st...on-driver.html

I haven't even messed with the settings on it but it goes straight every time even when I put a crappy swing on it - can't wait to start messing with the settings!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #1438
Give me a forum ...

Huh?............. if it goes straight every time even when you put a crappy swing on it why would you even touch the settings?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #1439
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Huh?............. if it goes straight every time even when you put a crappy swing on it why would you even touch the settings?
so it goes even straighter?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #1440
Give me a forum ...

Of course ... why didn't I think of that!

Closed Thread