Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #1601
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife claims that I can remember every shot from every round I've ever played. But she exaggerates greatly - only the memorable rounds, by definition.

Honestly, I find that the memory of an entire round fades after a couple of days, but I can still remember in detail how I played certain holes, good and bad, after several years. Maybe 8 or 10 holes at Bandon Dunes fit that. I can clearly remember the shots to the 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass. A couple of tournament rounds from many years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #1602

I still shoot too many shots to remember them all. I golf with guys that remember a lot of their round, but I generally don’t. A few years back, I started playing the same course most of the time. That helps me remember generally what’s coming up, but once I’ve played a round, unless it was a great (lucky) shot, I don’t really recall much of my round. I remember my score for about a day, after that, I just remember if it’s over or under my average.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #1603
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I play regularly twice a week, pretty much shoot in the 80s and can remember about two to four really good shots during any round. As a side note played yesterday in 95 degree heat and it was brutal for this old man.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #1604

I play twice a week, including yesterday at 95 degrees. I am like Jerry1 and don't remember my shots for very long. I have a Monday average of 77 on a fairly easy course where I am a member. Putting is always my nemesis. I played once a week for years when I was working. I would play more now if not for a shoulder impingement that causes some pain- golden years.......

VW
Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #1605
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday.... the "bad" guy showed up on the front nine... he had a hard time doing anything right.... +5 net......... then the "good" guy appeared out of nowhere on the back nine... had a sandy, a birdie and won closest to the pin on a ~160 yd par 3.... -5 net.

Funny game... on Tuesday I was -4/+4 net and yesterday I was +5/-5 net.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #1606

Tiger finally wins another major.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #1607

Good for him and the game. I was surprised that he came so close to winning the FedEx Cup as well. One stroke it turned out.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #1608
Recycles dryer sheets

It was a great win after all of his health issues. It is good for the game to have him contending again.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #1609
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Tiger finally wins another major.
Not a major, but an important tourney nonetheless.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Not a major, but an important tourney nonetheless.
Forgive my fopaux.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #1611
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Forgive my fopaux.
You're forgiven if you give me that 4 foot putt.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #1612
Give me a forum ...

Just a reminder.... Ryder Cup is on. A blessing after watching the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings yesterday.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #1613

I'm organizing a Ryder Cup competition at our club. We've got 12 guys, 1.2-8.1 index, pairings and teams by index, 6 holes Fourball, 6 hole Singles, 6 holes foursomes. 1 pt per hole, 1 pt per format winner. Should be fun.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #1614
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like fun.

The Champion Golfer of the Year!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #1615

The Champion Golfer of the Year!

I played yesterday in a small tourney organized by my former employer & won ‘Low Net’ with a 69! So, I had to come here & brag about it a bit.

I was surprised that 69 won but, gladly accepted the golf store gift certificate. We played at The Presidio Golf Course in SF, which I think is beautiful, and had a nice (but windy*) day.

* I knew it was windy when my playing partner, originally from Wyoming, said, “Man, it’s windy!”
Old 09-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #1616

Ryder Cup comment, damnit anyways !
Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #1617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ryder Cup comment, damnit anyways !
Lots of interesting matches, but some disappointing performances on both sides. I was afraid Tiger, Phil and DeChambeau wouldn’t show well - and they didn’t, all with zero points. Molinari was incredible, as were Fleetwood and Stenson. No European player was shut out, they all contributed to the final winning score.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Lots of interesting matches, but some disappointing performances on both sides. I was afraid Tiger, Phil and DeChambeau wouldn’t show well - and they didn’t, all with zero points. Molinari was incredible, as were Fleetwood and Stenson. No European player was shut out, they all contributed to the final winning score.
Incomprehensible how Tiger, one of the best Match play players ever in his youth (as evidenced by his SIX(?) consecutive USGA championships in Jr Am and US Am), could be such a bust in Ryder Cup.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Incomprehensible how Tiger, one of the best Match play players ever in his youth (as evidenced by his SIX(?) consecutive USGA championships in Jr Am and US Am), could be such a bust in Ryder Cup.

There are lots of athletes that just “lose it” after a certain period. Pretty commonplace really.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #1620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
There are lots of athletes that just “lose it” after a certain period. Pretty commonplace really.
I’m not a Tiger fan, but he was unable to play for several years, had three back surgeries preceding the 2017 fusion surgery, and it takes a long time to recover from that. He has said he’s had to alter his swing to accommodate the new back, that takes time for anyone, but especially someone trying to compete at the top of the golf world. I doubt most people could or would come as far as Tiger has so far. But time/age is not on his side as he’s acknowledged.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Closed Thread