Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #1621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Lots of interesting matches, but some disappointing performances on both sides. I was afraid Tiger, Phil and DeChambeau wouldnít show well - and they didnít, all with zero points. Molinari was incredible, as were Fleetwood and Stenson. No European player was shut out, they all contributed to the final winning score.
I'd credit DeChambeau with 1/4 of a point.... absent that incredible, long birdie putt on 18 that Noren drained he would have had a half a point.

I hate to say it but Phil just doesn't have it to be competitive based on results from last season... a very questionable captain's pick.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #1622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A first for this hacker, where I almost always comfort my bad game with "at least the scenery is nice." Played 2 courses for the first time in the past week and shot under 100 on both of them. Not nearly as good as most of you folks, but for me that is a miracle.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
A first for this hacker, where I almost always comfort my bad game with "at least the scenery is nice." Played 2 courses for the first time in the past week and shot under 100 on both of them. Not nearly as good as most of you folks, but for me that is a miracle.
I donít know about most folks, but Iíve been breaking under 100 pretty consistently this year for the first time and Iím pretty happy about that. Congratulations. It gets easier to break it once you know you can. Now I expect it from myself. Striving for my first time to hit something in the 80ís.

I will say, for me, one of the main things that helps is recognizing that when Iím in trouble, to take a safe shot and get back on the fairway. Face it, Iím not going to hit the green from 150 yards out sitting in the rough with the ball sitting down deep. Better to tak an iron and set up a shot to get on with the next shot.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I donít know about most folks, but Iíve been breaking under 100 pretty consistently this year for the first time and Iím pretty happy about that. Congratulations. It gets easier to break it once you know you can. Now I expect it from myself. Striving for my first time to hit something in the 80ís.

I will say, for me, one of the main things that helps is recognizing that when Iím in trouble, to take a safe shot and get back on the fairway. Face it, Iím not going to hit the green from 150 yards out sitting in the rough with the ball sitting down deep. Better to tak an iron and set up a shot to get on with the next shot.
I think Ďtaking your medicineí helps the score at any level.

Good on ya!

BTW, I did exactly that today on both 17 & 18 after poor drives on both. Carded two bogeys instead of something worse.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:17 AM   #1625
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I will say, for me, one of the main things that helps is recognizing that when I’m in trouble, to take a safe shot and get back on the fairway. Face it, I’m not going to hit the green from 150 yards out sitting in the rough with the ball sitting down deep. Better to tak an iron and set up a shot to get on with the next shot.
+1, even tour pros have to hit recovery shots at times. It’s part of the game. People who always go for improbable hero shots score worse on that hole more often than not. I’d rather settle for a bogey than hope to save par only to score a double or triple bogey.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I think Ďtaking your medicineí helps the score at any level.

Good on ya!

BTW, I did exactly that today on both 17 & 18 after poor drives on both. Carded two bogeys instead of something worse.
Great example of not letting your emotions get in the way of your game!!

Playing for a bogey makes sense many times after a bad drive.

Keep it up and the 70s/80s are in your future.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #1627

I can still remember when I started to play golf and breaking into the 90s was the goal, then shooting bogey golf and then breaking into the 80s and being content but not happy or satisfied with my game knowing I could shoot almost par golf with the exception of those one or two blow holes. Shooting in the 70s consistently will always be goal and another level for this great and crazy game we call golf.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #1628
Give me a forum ...

Some days you have it...some days you don't. I had one of those rare good days yesterday. Made six birdies. Putter was working well with the exception of a missed 20" par putt. I hate those short ones. Not playing today because I never do anything the day after a good day.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1, even tour pros have to hit recovery shots at times. It’s part of the game. People who always go for improbable hero shots score worse on that hole more often than not. I’d rather settle for a bogey than hope to save par only to score a double or triple bogey.
One of the best tips I got was "never turn a bogey into a double or worse". I've learned to take my medicine and chip out or lay up rather than attempt a high risk shot.

I'll even hit a shorter club off the tee on narrow and very long par 4's rather than risk a driver into the trees...for example, a 4-hybrid and 8-iron on a 440 hole leaving a wedge shot to the green. I'll make a lot of 5's with an occasional 4, but triples are taken out of play.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Quote:

Yep, scored bogey on 18...from the wrong fairway . But, had to tell another golfer (who, to be fair, was playing in her own fairway) to put my ball back down so I could hit it again.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Quote:

Yep, scored bogey on 18...from the wrong fairway . But, had to tell another golfer (who, to be fair, was playing in her own fairway) to put my ball back down so I could hit it again.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #1632

The decisions I make on the type of shots I'll play depends on the situation. If I'm out during the normal weekly casual round I'm going to try shots that I wouldn't try during a tournament. To me it's fun trying to play and pull off difficult shots, don't always succeed but it sure feels good when it does. Need to take a positive approach, if you go into any shot with negative thoughts there's a pretty good chance you'll fail.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #1633
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Some days you have it...some days you don't.
Yesterday I hit 3 fairways out of 14, and 3 GIR, really frustrating. Fortunately it was a nice day, I had great playing partners and my recovery shots, greenside play and putting weren’t bad.

Stupid game.

Can’t wait to try again.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #1634
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have decided to move up to forward tees. Due to a combination of factors, it's clear that my distance has dropped. I don't enjoy hitting driver off the tee, then 3 wood from the fairway, and still end up 50 yards short on some of the holes I play.

Recently I played "combo tees" at my course, which move the tees to the senior tees on the longer holes. Much more fun. Then I played a short course, and enjoyed hitting a wedge on nearly every hole, occasionally a mid-iron.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #1635

I've been playing well as of late. Went 50 holes without a double bogey (personal record) and had only 1 double bogey in the last 4 rounds.

Going to play Carmel Valley Ranch Resort next week for a couple of days of unlimited golf.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #1636

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I have decided to move up to forward tees. Due to a combination of factors, it's clear that my distance has dropped. I don't enjoy hitting driver off the tee, then 3 wood from the fairway, and still end up 50 yards short on some of the holes I play.

Recently I played "combo tees" at my course, which move the tees to the senior tees on the longer holes. Much more fun. Then I played a short course, and enjoyed hitting a wedge on nearly every hole, occasionally a mid-iron.
Golf season is winding down here and the last few weeks have been miserable weather. I finally got out on Thursday and the course was already prepping for winter and all the tees were moved forward shortening holes by up to 100 yards in some cases.

While I'm not yet ready to move to the forward tees, it was nice to play a round where I had a wedge into most of the par 4's.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #1637

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Going to play Carmel Valley Ranch Resort next week for a couple of days of unlimited golf.
Thatís a beautiful course & you should score well. Hopefully, you wonít have any pace of play problems, which can be an issue there. Enjoy!

Iíll be near there next week, playing Pacific Grove (the poor manís Pebble Beach) on Monterey Bay. Staying walking distance from the course & looking forward to it.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #1638

Quote:
Thatís a beautiful course & you should score well. Hopefully, you wonít have any pace of play problems, which can be an issue there. Enjoy!

Iíll be near there next week, playing Pacific Grove (the poor manís Pebble Beach) on Monterey Bay. Staying walking distance from the course & looking forward to it.
I've never played Pacific Grove, but I go down there and play Poppy Hills a few times per year. I hope it's not a slow pace of play, we plan on playing 2 rounds per day.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post

I play with two guys. One is a senior and plays forward. When itís just him and me I play forward with him. Itís interesting to play the same course different ways. I can out drive him, but he can get up and down better than me. Goes to show you, drive for show . . .
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I've never played Pacific Grove, but I go down there and play Poppy Hills a few times per year. I hope it's not a slow pace of play, we plan on playing 2 rounds per day.
I havenít play Carmel Valley Ranch but, the GolfAdvisor reviews almost all describe slow pace of play. Sounds like it may have to do with wedding parties so, hopefully the Wedding Season (Spring/Summer?) is over & youíll have no problems.
Closed Thread