Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #1721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Thx for the Stadium Course feedback. I’m playing Desert Willow-Firecliff with a buddy who lives there. I’m also considering the Classic Club; anybody played there?
Desert Willow is very nice, that's usually where I stay when visiting Palm Springs. I also like Marriott Shadow Ridge just down the road from Desert Willow. Haven't played Classic Club but it's Troon managed and they typically do a very good job.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #1722
Recycles dryer sheets

It was about 38 degrees today but managed one last round for 2018. Actually only 14 holes at Quail Hollow in Boise again as the first five still have snow on them. Hit some horrendous shots, but did birdie one hole and saved a par from a crazy drive on a downhill par three that went over the green and down a hill almost to the road. There were a few other diehards out.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:55 AM   #1723

Just played my the last round of 2018 season. This is my 9th year of playing golf and I am proud to say that I am still improving. I shaved 2 strokes off of handicap this year. I now shaved 5 strokes off my handicap since I retired 3 years ago.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #1724
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
It was about 38 degrees today but managed one last round for 2018. Actually only 14 holes at Quail Hollow in Boise again as the first five still have snow on them. Hit some horrendous shots, but did birdie one hole and saved a par from a crazy drive on a downhill par three that went over the green and down a hill almost to the road. There were a few other diehards out.
Thirty eight degrees? Diehards for sure. But if I lived in that area of the country it may not seem so bad. This time of the year rain and wet conditions is more of a problem. When wet its warm. When dry its cold. But thats winter in Mississippi.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #1725

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Just played my the last round of 2018 season. This is my 9th year of playing golf and I am proud to say that I am still improving. I shaved 2 strokes off of handicap this year. I now shaved 5 strokes off my handicap since I retired 3 years ago.
Congrats!

Nice of you to get up at/stay up till 2am to tell us about it.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #1726

Any of you guys use a smart watch for a golf gps? Been using the golf app on my Garmin Vivoactive 3 fitness watch for about a year now, mostly for layup distances and the scorecard feature, always use my laser for approach shots. All the score information is downloaded to the Garmin app on my phone, it's nice to have a history of all my rounds and to be able to review any round hole by hole. While reviewing a recent round found a feature that I didn't know it had. For each hole it keeps track of all your shots to the green and the distances for each shot. It shows the hole layout and a line from the tee to where your drive landed (you'll know if you hit the fairway or not) and shows the distance for that shot then does the same for each shot until you reach the green. Not sure how it knows when you hit a shot, must be by sensing the swing motion. Considering there's no interaction done by the player I was really surprised to how accurate it was, for most of the holes it was right on but there's usually a couple holes where it messes up. Interesting feature, wish it didn't take me a year to figure it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181224-064158.jpg (273.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #1727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Thirty eight degrees? Diehards for sure. But if I lived in that area of the country it may not seem so bad. This time of the year rain and wet conditions is more of a problem. When wet its warm. When dry its cold. But thats winter in Mississippi.
as long as the course is open 38F isn't that bad, if the greens aren't frozen
Old 12-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #1728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think CC should be open - not that much snow on it at all and it finally dried out
Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #1729
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree and apparently my math skills are degrading. 13 holes, not 14. It's early, but I am wondering if one more at QH is possible today.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #1730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree and apparently my math skills are degrading. 13 holes, not 14. It's early, but I am wondering if one more at QH is possible today.
you may be able to get on at bushwood - should be in good shape right now

I'd join ya but #gottaw*rk
Old 12-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #1731

Winter Golf Inspiration

Thought y’all would enjoy this; especially those in northern climes.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gol...mber-golf-1989
Old 12-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #1732
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Any of you guys use a smart watch for a golf gps?
I have a Garmin GPS watch...but the only feature I use during a round is distance to the middle of green, and sometimes I'll check the odometer post round to see how far I walked.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #1733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Congrats!

Nice of you to get up at/stay up till 2am to tell us about it.
Thanks!

Without needing to get up in the morning to go to work, I go to sleep and wake up whenever. It so happens, these days, I am going to sleep around 3 or 4 am. That TOTALLY screwed up my club golf tournament participation. They always start at 8:00 am. To get ready, I need to get up at 6:30 am. 3 hours of sleep and playing in a golf competition was no fun and I stopped playing in tournaments altogether.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 AM   #1734
Give me a forum ...

Golf? Rain rain rain. When it stops raining the course is too wet to play and when it finally starts to dry..... more rain.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #1735
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Golf? Rain rain rain. When it stops raining the course is too wet to play and when it finally starts to dry..... more rain.
All the courses around here are under a foot of snow...there won't be any golf until April.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #1736
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I have a Garmin GPS watch...but the only feature I use during a round is distance to the middle of green, and sometimes I'll check the odometer post round to see how far I walked.
+1 but I usually check front, middle and back depending on pin placement... I also sometimes check for hazards (to water, to clear water, traps, etc). At the end of the round I check how long it took us to play.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #1737

Played yesterday. Course closed until noon due to frost. Got 12 holes in then gave up. Was high 30's. Highlight was jumping in a friends cart and riding (he has a heater).

Eight of nine on the front had temporary greens. Hit some decent shots but then you're putting on a bumpy fairway into a coffee can. It can hit something and go a foot off line or just put on the brakes.

Rain on its way and will now begin the sloppy winter rounds where all the balls plug and the search party takes some time.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #1738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Played yesterday. Course closed until noon due to frost. Got 12 holes in then gave up. Was high 30's. Highlight was jumping in a friends cart and riding (he has a heater).

Eight of nine on the front had temporary greens. Hit some decent shots but then you're putting on a bumpy fairway into a coffee can. It can hit something and go a foot off line or just put on the brakes.

Rain on its way and will now begin the sloppy winter rounds where all the balls plug and the search party takes some time.
I think we are closed until next week. A few courses are open, namely bushwood, which we can get on as reciprocals.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #1739

While the pros were delayed for wind here on Maui, we soldiered on.

The new "pin in" rule will be interesting. On the first four holes, I made 30, 60 and 20 footers keeping the pin in. Sick. It actually may end up slowing play down, as some guys want the pin in after it's been taken out. After 50+ years of tending and taking the pin out, it seems more complicated, having to put the pin in after it's been taken out and people are still putting.

Later I had a 40 foot downhill, downgrain, downwind putt. I asked for the pin to be laid down behind the hole, but I guess that's not part of the new rules.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
While the pros were delayed for wind here on Maui, we soldiered on.

The new "pin in" rule will be interesting. On the first four holes, I made 30, 60 and 20 footers keeping the pin in. Sick. It actually may end up slowing play down, as some guys want the pin in after it's been taken out. After 50+ years of tending and taking the pin out, it seems more complicated, having to put the pin in after it's been taken out and people are still putting.

Later I had a 40 foot downhill, downgrain, downwind putt. I asked for the pin to be laid down behind the hole, but I guess that's not part of the new rules.
Did you play @ KK?

Wish I was there.
Closed Thread